Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, eventually but that is not the point. They could do it now and they are opting to make me wait for no reason other than I stupidly paid them for FSD YEARS before the people getting their perfectly functional cars upgraded.

Or maybe it is because they aren't ready to support HW3+MCU2 upgrades for AP2.0 cars yet. Do they have the training materials all ready? Are the upgrade kits completed? Do they have stock of them available?

We have heard of one case where a SC did this upgrade, but they used an AP2.5 upgrade kit, and if I recall correctly they had to leave the car torn apart for at least a week while they got necessary parts that weren't in the kit. It is likely that that SC made a mistake, and that Tesla used that as an opportunity to field test the upgrade they are working on.

I do think that Tesla should prioritize the upgrades to people that have failed MCUs, and my guess is that they will once the supported upgrade kit is available.

I am one of the biggest Tesla Fanboys. I have over 20 legitimate referrals. Every end of quarter, for 3.5 years, 13 times, I spent countless hours at my local store helping with customer orientation. I am a longterm shareholder, that does not support short selling.

It can't be said that I don't support Tesla.

Yes, it is very frustrating, since those of us with MCU1 paid for FSD first. I paid for FSD on February 6, 2017, partially due to promises made.

The reverse priority at Tesla's convenience is upsetting, and punishes us earlier adopters.
It can much more consequential and expensive, since our MCUs are more likely to fail due to age. I am at 155,000 miles and on my second Model S (2015 P85D+ 56,000 miles & 2016 AP2 S90D 92,000 miles), so I take many "promises" with a grain of salt, but, at this point I feel like it is more than a grain of salt, it is a CyberTruckload of salt.
Getting dumped on is never fun :-(

Wow, just typing this is cathartic, while at the same time, it makes me realize how "blinded" I have been. Blinded, when In October 2014, over 5 years ago, Elon said that the my AP1 car would drop you off, and pick you up at the front door, on private property. The Smart Summon "Party Trick" is a start-5 years and AP2+ later.

I will think much harder before I blindly order a Plaid Model S.

Last edited:
Or maybe it is because they aren't ready to support HW3+MCU2 upgrades for AP2.0 cars yet. Do they have the training materials all ready? Are the upgrade kits completed? Do they have stock of them available?

We have heard of one case where a SC did this upgrade, but they used an AP2.5 upgrade kit, and if I recall correctly they had to leave the car torn apart for at least a week while they got necessary parts that weren't in the kit. It is likely that that SC made a mistake, and that Tesla used that as an opportunity to field test the upgrade they are working on.

I do think that Tesla should prioritize the upgrades to people that have failed MCUs, and my guess is that they will once the supported upgrade kit is available.

There is no difference between the 2.0 upgrade to 3.0 and the 2.5 except a simple cable to split the backup camera. There are no parts to wait for. I'm 100% sure they only are saying 2 weeks now because they only, on the day of the appointment, looked into this and realized they couldn't do it in their system. No proactive steps were undertaken and no communication was initiated. The mobile guys are way better about contacting me 3-5 days in advance and going over expectations and capabilities. Other than not being able to fully fix my driver's side rear door handle (on 4th repair attempt in 2 months for that door handle but only 3rd by mobile since Service center repair was the first attempt), Tesla mobile has been solid for me.

Now I wait. The silver lining is that I do not drive very much nowadays and I don't see that changing in the next 2 weeks. But 2 weeks can easily become longer.

I hope the AP2 is temporary. Not a fan of breaking apart the dash over and over. A black Zip tie emerged after the last repair and sticks out from the silver screen bezel.

It isn't as invasive to replace the AP computer. (They just have to pull the glovebox.)

But it really doesn't make sense for them to not do it at the same time, unless they aren't ready to fully support a HW3 computer with AP2.0 cameras/radar yet.

I am one of the biggest Tesla Fanboys. I have over 20 legitimate referrals. Every end of quarter, for 3.5 years, 13 times, I spent countless hours at my local store helping with customer orientation. I am a longterm shareholder, that does not support short selling.

It can't be said that I don't support Tesla.

Yes, it is very frustrating, since those of us with MCU1 paid for FSD first. I paid for FSD on February 6, 2017, partially due to promises made.

The reverse priority at Tesla's convenience is upsetting, and punishes us earlier adopters.
It can much more consequential and expensive, since our MCUs are more likely to fail due to age. I am at 155,000 miles and on my second Model S (2015 P85D+ 56,000 miles & 2016 AP2 S90D 92,000 miles), so I take many "promises" with a grain of salt, but, at this point I feel like it is more than a grain of salt, it is a CyberTruckload of salt.
Getting dumped on is never fun :-(

Wow, just typing this is cathartic, while at the same time, it makes me realize how "blinded" I have been. Blinded, when In October 2014, over 5 years ago, Elon said that the my AP1 car would drop you off, and pick you up at the front door, on private property. The Smart Summon "Party Trick" is a start-5 years and AP2+ later.

I will think much harder before I blindly order a Plaid Model S.

Oh man, I know the feeling, fanboy with
serious resentment at watching others get upgraded first.... these youngsters don’t know how good they have it!

I will go ahead and whine and say, coast to coast achievement not happening by now is disappointing ... probably more of a reflection how much more difficult it truly is than it seems.

I need my MCU upgrade man... I gots to have it

To me, losing the FM and XM radio is actually a downgrade. :(
I'd be more okay with it if Tesla implemented better support for music services, and brought along Radio.com/iHeartRadio/etc. None of the radio stations I listen to on AM/FM in my area are on TuneIn, and half are on Radio.com with the other half on iHeartRadio. If I could just favorite all of my stations across the apps in a single place on the Tesla MCU, then I would be perfectly content losing the tuner. I might just buy the ProClipUSA mount for my phone (I use it in my other vehicles and love it).

MCU2 is at the service center for my car. Tesla now emails about parts ordered (awesome communication improvement). Here's what I'm waiting to get:

"Here are updates on the additional parts that we needed to order for servicing your car.

We will send you updates twice a week until your service is completed.
Please note, that some of the parts required for your repair may already be on site at our service center and will not show up on this update

1. MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5 - NORTH AMERICA
    Part #:9874561-00-A
    Order Qty:1
    Order Date: April 21,2020"

So if this gets in, I guess I get hw3 too. Otherwise I need to schedule another appointment after it comes in.

I'd be more okay with it if Tesla implemented better support for music services, and brought along Radio.com/iHeartRadio/etc. None of the radio stations I listen to on AM/FM in my area are on TuneIn, and half are on Radio.com with the other half on iHeartRadio. If I could just favorite all of my stations across the apps in a single place on the Tesla MCU, then I would be perfectly content losing the tuner. I might just buy the ProClipUSA mount for my phone (I use it in my other vehicles and love it).

I love the ProClipUSA mount in my Model S, the one next to the steering wheel, and once they replace my MCU, I will be dependent on streaming from my phone. It’s not the greatest solution, but, it seems to work fine now that they have addressed some of the automatic, Bluetooth play situations.
Tesla Model S Center Dash Mount #854921

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Gt1948
I love the ProClipUSA mount in my Model S, the one next to the steering wheel, and once they replace my MCU, I will be dependent on streaming from my phone. It’s not the greatest solution, but, it seems to work fine now that they have addressed some of the automatic, Bluetooth play situations.
Tesla Model S Center Dash Mount #854921
Nothing seems to beat my clever iOttie triangle window mount ... doesn’t block ac and is amazing AEEE87AE-FFD4-4155-97EA-4B5DE19FBB4B.jpeg

I thought the same thing. However, I got my MCU2 Upgrade/HW3 done last week (and besides the shoddy finishing work which is getting fixed tomorrow) and I could never go back to MCU1. It’s just SO FAST, it kind of startles me a bit.

I do hope (and anticipate) they’ll add more features over the long run. The addition of Spotify was great last year. Would be nice if they would actually allow TuneIn Premium (so I can stream sports games) and maybe I heart Radio/Radio.com. We’ll see, but at least now any updates Tesla does release, I know I won’t be left in the dust anymore (like MCU1).