Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody know what distinction Tesla is making on Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

It says they're scheduling all vehicles with HW2.5 in North America except S/X built in 2018 Q1 ("Model S and Model X - Built between mid-January 2018 and March 2018"). So that includes MCU1+HW2.5 (built after August 2017) and MCU2+HW2.5 (built after March 2018). Was there supply shortage or different infotainment somewhere between MCU1 and MCU2?

Hey, cool, I actually got accepted for the upgrade(no email received at all, not even any notification any kind of upgrade was coming). Shows up a charge of $195 for labor(and $0.20 for some nuts); did we decide that’s normal?

58564964-64F6-48E7-9F28-AF7A5DA6D2D8.jpeg

Note: this is a Dec 2016 AP2.0 car.

Hey, cool, I actually got accepted for the upgrade(no email received at all, not even any notification any kind of upgrade was coming). Shows up a charge of $195 for labor(and $0.20 for some nuts); did we decide that’s normal?

View attachment 540821

Note: this is a Dec 2016 AP2.0 car.

This is the language on the infotainment page

"This upgrade is available for $2,500 plus applicable tax including installation. "

NEED HELP FROM SOMEONE WHO UPGRADED FROM MCU1 TO MCU2:

Can someone with an upgraded infotainment test if searching for "WIOD" and then selecting it under "Stations" result will play it? I always get "Loading Error" (on WiFi or cellular) on my MCU1 and was wondering if that station would stream on an upgraded MCU.

Thank you

Can someone with an upgraded infotainment test if searching for "WIOD" and then selecting it under "Stations" result will play it? I always get "Loading Error" (on WiFi or cellular) on my MCU1 and was wondering if that station would stream on an upgraded MCU.
Thank you

Assume this is Miami AM 610? Can't pop out to the car this second, but it works on the TuneIn website, so it SHOULD work in the car. I'll give it a try in the car later today. There's no reason it shouldn't work on both MCU1 or 2. Assume you've rebooted?

Thank you

I just tried it on my upgraded MCU2 while my car was in my garage and on WiFi. I was NOT able to load the station and also received a "Loading Error". Two stations showed up under WIOD and both had the same error.

• Informative
Reactions: ABC2D
Assume this is Miami AM 610? Can't pop out to the car this second, but it works on the TuneIn website, so it SHOULD work in the car. I'll give it a try in the car later today. There's no reason it shouldn't work on both MCU1 or 2. Assume you've rebooted?
Yes, that's Miami AM 610. I just tried TuneIn website and got "Hi TuneIn listener, the station you're looking for is no longer available...." - it never worked on my MCU1 car (2017 March build) always resulting "Loading Error". Yes, rebooted plenty of times

Yes, that's Miami AM 610. I just tried TuneIn website and got "Hi TuneIn listener, the station you're looking for is no longer available...." - it never worked on my MCU1 car (2017 March build) always resulting "Loading Error". Yes, rebooted plenty of times
Huh, works on tunein.com right now. Wonder if it's a location issue (which makes no sense...). Saw the other post also... I'll give it a shot later, but not optimistic!

Listen to NewsRadio 610 WIOD on TuneIn

Huh, works on tunein.com right now. Wonder if it's a location issue (which makes no sense...). Saw the other post also... I'll give it a shot later, but not optimistic!

Listen to NewsRadio 610 WIOD on TuneIn
Yup, the link is correct, and plays "Hi TuneIn listener, the station you're looking for is no longer available but wait, we're sending to a station we think you'll love instead" and starts playing "TED talks"

For people lamenting the loss of AM/FM radio..

Just get this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P9F61RX/

View attachment 517534

plus this: https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Simultaneously/dp/B01EHSX28M/

View attachment 517536

Remarkably, I can't find any FM receivers with built-in BT transmitters. Lots of devices going BT->FM, but not FM->BT.

@HankLloydRight , have you tried this BT transmitter to confirm it works? I saw various transmitters tested in the Model 3 forum and the testers found that none would pair in TX mode and some would pair in RX mode. The assumption was there was a bug on Tesla's side.

Another comment said the XM receiver with BT transmitter works, so there is at least some notion that it's possible to make a transmitter that works.