Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't yet seen anyone provide evidence of Tesla reaching out to them with an actual invite. Not to say they aren't out there, but the forums here are full of people, including myself, who had to reach out on their own to get scheduled since no invites ever came.
Well good point, but I do know of 3 people that got the invite in the last month. So it is happening. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask Tesla service center, yet one of the people I know that works there is about ready to go postal with people pestering them all day about updates.

That's great to hear. I'm currently confirmed for next week Infotainment upgrade with HW3 retrofit on my MX (MCU1+AP2.0).

Now I'm curious if I need to start thinking about upgrading the cameras (RCCC->RCCB) if that would reap any added benefits in the FSD functionality delta...
  • WiFi password(s)
  • Phone directory
  • Recent calls
  • Recent text messages
  • Navigation destination history

Why not do a FACTORY RESET before taking it in if you are worried about this information getting out? Won't that resolve the issue?

Are you able to get a screenshot and share? Would be curious to see what it says. The only invites I have seen so far were for HW3 upgrade when further digging was done.

Here is the first invite I saw reported, which was more than a month ago:

My email was specific:

"Purchase the Infotainment Upgrade today for $2,500 plus applicable tax to add in-car video streaming, Caraoke, additional Tesla Arcade games and future functionality to your Model S touchscreen*.

Schedule an appointment for purchase and installation using the Tesla app. Select 'Accessories' then ‘Upgrades & Installations’ from the Schedule Service menu and enter ‘Infotainment Upgrade’ in the description.

As an owner with Full Self-Driving configured, you'll also receive the complimentary new Full Self-Driving Computer during your installation.

If you don’t purchase the Infotainment Upgrade, we will contact you when the Full Self-Driving Computer is available for your configuration."

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
January 2017 AP2.0 S. I hadn't gotten an invite, but set up the appointment via the app with the Toledo, OH service center. They sat on it until the day before, where I was greeted by Virtual Service, reviewed for about an hour, and told they didn't have the parts and to try again in a few weeks. The appointment was promptly cancelled.

Minutes later I submitted the same request with the Indianapolis SC. Hadn't heard a word, so I reached out via text to ask if I could get confirmation that the parts were available since it's a 2-hour drive and I'm not looking to show up and get turned right back around. They responded saying the parts were in order and asked if we could do next week. No go, but how about the following? They agreed, MCU2 and HW3 scheduled for May 28th. Fingers crossed it sticks it out and I can curb the excitement for another 2 weeks.

Well good point, but I do know of 3 people that got the invite in the last month. So it is happening. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask Tesla service center, yet one of the people I know that works there is about ready to go postal with people pestering them all day about updates.
I’m with what seems to be the majority here; never got an invite but have requested it via the app 3 times since the announcement. Today was my lucky day I guess. They could have saved themselves some headache had they not put “scheduling now” on the website and just sent invites when ready.

Why not do a FACTORY RESET before taking it in if you are worried about this information getting out? Won't that resolve the issue?

Doing a factory reset is probably a good idea. A person has to decide if purging everything is worth the risk. This issue had not been pointed out before I turned my car in for the upgrade. So, it didn't even occur to me. Its safer than not for sure.

But be aware, we don't lose our car's settings when the upgrade was complete. Mine had two sets of profiles. Everything was still there except for one single setting. WiFi password had to be added back when I got home. And that was because the upgrade included a new modem, with both 2.4 and 5GHz. So, the modem does like all, it simply need the home network connection again.

Even though my old MCU had my car's settings, I don't care. I can't think of anything that put me at risk leaving info behind. Even my street address in "Home" was not my own address. GPS said, it thought I was a xxx, when I was at yyy, so I let it think it was a xxx.

Last edited: