Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scheduled for Infotainment Upgrade first week of June. AP 2.0 MCU1

Mine was a bit pushed back due to ordering of new interior graphite trim.
Thanks @Krash for getting this thread going. This is the time to do it if you plan on it.
Graphite Interior Finish Retrofit Index

So you're implying that we MCU1 AP2.0 tesla owners will also get the newer graphite trim (replacing our old silver trim) Wondering what all pieces of graphite trim will be upgraded as part of this infotainment upgrade + HW3 retrofit. It would be nice if they included that info on the work order since there was no mention of the graphite trim pieces on my estimated work order. Keep us posted. TIA

So you're implying that we MCU1 AP2.0 tesla owners will also get the newer graphite trim (replacing our old silver trim) Wondering what all pieces of graphite trim will be upgraded as part of this infotainment upgrade + HW3 retrofit. It would be nice if they included that info on the work order since there was no mention of the graphite trim pieces on my estimated work order. Keep us posted. TIA

No I was not implying that. Some owners have upgraded pieces of trim over time. This is out of pocket. Customer pay. If you are having the MCU removed. It made sense to have the pieces of the dash that I wanted changed to graphite while dash was apart. If you decided to do it later you would have to rip apart dash again. The link I posted helps people tell what to order to the SC.

I've either gotten lucky or unlucky because I dropped off my MCU1 AP2.0 Model S on Friday at a Bay Area location and they are actively working on the car. I am getting a Software Update push notification this morning though I can't see anything else.

Interestingly they wrote up my car this way:

MCU Upgrade(1582613-00-A)

Correction: Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.0 To Intel MCU And Autopilot 3.0 (Model S) Parts Replaced or Added Part Quantity NUT,HEX-FLNG,M5X.8,STL,ZNC,NYLOCK(1012845-00-A) 4.0

But there's no writeup for parts for the FSD computer itself. Maybe they've now turned HW3 into 4 washers!

I actually want the AM. I’m local to SoCal and it’s hard to watch Dodger games(when the ‘rona isn’t stopping the season) so I listen to a lot of them on AM570, but whatever their contract is with iHeartRadio during games the internet stream is not of the game, it’s some sports talk show, you can only get the game on the over the air channel. That will be the one big downside for me.
I'm sure that the Dodgers have a large radio network for broadcasting games. Just get a list of the stations in their network. Then, set up a TuneIn account on your computer and search for a station other than AM570. It's almost certain that TuneIn will have several of them; they get feeds from almost all of FM and AM stations in my area. Then, in your car, sign in to TuneIn with the account you set up online. Your favorites will appear in the car, and as long as you have an LTE signal, you can listen to that station anywhere in the country. It's a digital feed, so I haven't noticed any degradation in quality compared to local HD radio. Even my local classical-music station has the same fidelity when listening via TuneIn in my Model S, so I have no qualms about losing the tuner after the upgrade (now scheduled for 5/26 ). If I didn't have premium connectivity for the life of my car, I'd be singing a very different tune, though.

I'm sure that the Dodgers have a large radio network for broadcasting games. Just get a list of the stations in their network. Then, set up a TuneIn account on your computer and search for a station other than AM570. It's almost certain that TuneIn will have several of them; they get feeds from almost all of FM and AM stations in my area. Then, in your car, sign in to TuneIn with the account you set up online. Your favorites will appear in the car, and as long as you have an LTE signal, you can listen to that station anywhere in the country. It's a digital feed, so I haven't noticed any degradation in quality compared to local HD radio. Even my local classical-music station has the same fidelity when listening via TuneIn in my Model S, so I have no qualms about losing the tuner after the upgrade (now scheduled for 5/26 ). If I didn't have premium connectivity for the life of my car, I'd be singing a very different tune, though.

Does MCU2 actually have a dedicated TuneIn app? or do you go via the browser?

Are you sure that works? The reason why you would typically hear alternative broadcasting when listening to a "local" station via the internet during a sports broadcast is because of blackout rules. The MLB basically only makes the game available locally and would block access to a national audience without going through their streaming services like MLB.TV. A lot of internet broadcasts of local stations have to replace sports broadcasts due to this.

I actually want the AM. I’m local to SoCal and it’s hard to watch Dodger games(when the ‘rona isn’t stopping the season) so I listen to a lot of them on AM570, but whatever their contract is with iHeartRadio during games the internet stream is not of the game, it’s some sports talk show, you can only get the game on the over the air channel. That will be the one big downside for me.
One solution is a subscription to the MLB.COM audio stream. Costs $20/year for ALL MLB games. You can listen to the home or away feeds as well as the Spanish feeds. I just bring it up on my phone and listen to it via bluetooth in the Tesla.

Much cheaper than an XM subscription and the team I follow isn't local so there is no other way to listen to their games.

Actually that won't work. When MLB started their streaming app, they prevented radio stations from streaming games via the internet. 5 years ago you could find some AM station somewhere that was a team affiliate streaming the games. These days they are all blocked from doing so by MLB distribution rights. They can broadcast the game over the air in their market, they cannot stream it over the internet. MLB.COM is the only way these days....but it works great streaming it on my phone and listening to it via bluetooth in the car.

I haven't. It is part of the kit. (Contains the MCU, APE, and everything else needed.)
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/58564964-64f6-48e7-9f28-af7a5da6d2d8-jpeg.540821/

It seems like the other upgrades have "9874562-00-A" listed as the kit's part number. 1012845-00-A is literally a pack of nuts.

I only got written up for the pack of nuts plus 1582613-00-A, which looks like it's just MCU2-IC2 (it is the same P/N used for HW2.5 MCU2-IC2 upgrades).

So I guess my concern is none of the part numbers for my repair order reflect a FSD computer containing kit. I think they were supposed to write up that 9874562-00-A part, which does seem like it is the whole kit.

One solution is a subscription to the MLB.COM audio stream. Costs $20/year for ALL MLB games. You can listen to the home or away feeds as well as the Spanish feeds. I just bring it up on my phone and listen to it via bluetooth in the Tesla.

Much cheaper than an XM subscription and the team I follow isn't local so there is no other way to listen to their games.

Actually that won't work. When MLB started their streaming app, they prevented radio stations from streaming games via the internet. 5 years ago you could find some AM station somewhere that was a team affiliate streaming the games. These days they are all blocked from doing so by MLB distribution rights. They can broadcast the game over the air in their market, they cannot stream it over the internet. MLB.COM is the only way these days....but it works great streaming it on my phone and listening to it via bluetooth in the car.

I know they geofence the video feeds on MLB.tv, do they do the same for radio? I can't remember and it's been a long time since I've been in my home market during a radio broadcast.

Also, bummed that I paid the $20 this season, so far it's got me zilch. 8-(

No I was not implying that. Some owners have upgraded pieces of trim over time. This is out of pocket. Customer pay. If you are having the MCU removed. It made sense to have the pieces of the dash that I wanted changed to graphite while the dash was apart. If you decided to do it later you would have to rip apart dash again. The link I posted helps people tell what to order to the SC.

Oh!! I'm interested now. Curious know to know what's the cost to get the graphite trim upgrade. Perhaps thinking about just getting the MCU bezel done instead Since my appointment is on Friday. Do you just call service or create another appointment for the trim piece upgrade? I appreciate the advice and info.

Just got back from getting my car. Observations:

1. Interface is(obviously) much smoother. Feels basically like my phone, with everything responding instantly. Tried out the web browser and that now works fine as well.

2. All the visualizations appear just like I’ve seen in YouTube videos.

3.One interesting thing I hadn’t seen elsewhere was that I passed a single flashing yellow light above the 17 freeway and it showed up on the IC, the car slowed down slightly, and it showed some message about slowing for traffic control before passing it and resuming normal speed

4. All my profiles were still there, along with my Spotify account and past song choices on both that and Slacker, and my home location was still stored.

5.Some missing things: all Bluetooth devices were gone, some of my autopilot settings had to be reset(and I had to wait on some due to camera calibration)

Overall, a very nice upgrade, and my car feels like a new car.

Oh!! I'm interested now. Curious know to know what's the cost to get the graphite trim upgrade. Perhaps thinking about just getting the MCU bezel done instead Since my appointment is on Friday. Do you just call service or create another appointment for the trim piece upgrade? I appreciate the advice and info.

Getting a bit off the topic so let's redirect to link

Graphite Interior Finish Retrofit Index I am doing more, but these and vents are common.

They have to order the pieces. So you might either delay or get estimate for availability for your Friday appointment. I had to delay it a bit.
MCU BEZEL ASY LHD GRAPHITE(1083944-01-B) $90
ASY CLUSTER BEZEL GRAPHITE(1033041-01-C) $120

Reactions: Taj786