Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my upgrade performed today at the Rocklin, CA service center.
Aug 2017 MS AP2.0, MCU1 -> AP3, MCU2.
Dropped off the car at 8:30am and got a call that it was done at 12:30pm. 4 hours. I was told this was their first AP2.0 upgrade. My results are the same as @chillaban above. Just need the new navigation database to finish downloading so I can try out the new Stop Light Beta.
I noticed I got the 2020 navigation update last week. A couple days ago, I got the 2020.16.2.1 update. Now I'm just waiting on parts for the AP and MCU upgrade. Install was delayed two weeks while waiting for parts to be delivered.

The adapters you are looking at are Bluetooth-to-FM adapters.
What you need is FM-to-Bluetooth, but they don't exist. But you can easily make one yourself for less than $50 with these parts (From my post #2674):
Just get this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P9F61RX/
plus this: https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Simultaneously/dp/B01EHSX28M/
@HankLloydRight , have you tried this BT transmitter to confirm it works? I saw various transmitters tested in the Model 3 forum and the testers found that none would pair in TX mode and some would pair in RX mode. The assumption was there was a bug on Tesla's side.

I have not tested it. But I would be surprised if they didn't pair in TX mode. I might just buy one to test and report back "for science" (that is, for the remaining people who actually believe in science. :rolleyes:)

Update. I bought the Bluetooth transmitter posted above, and I can now confirm that it will NOT pair with the Tesla. I tried for about 20 minutes to get the device to pair. It did recognize the BT transmitter a couple of times, but it would never pair as "Media". I agree, this seems like a bug in the Tesla code. The device paired fine with my phone.

But in doing more research on the subject, it appears that most, if not all, Android phones already have an embedded FM radio receiver. One would only need an Android phone, and an app called "NextRadio" (see: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nextradioapp.nextradio&hl=en_US) I haven't tested this yet (but I will) but I assume one could pair the phone with the car normally and use the built in radio for FM reception.

iPhones before 7 also had a built-in FM receiver, but Apple never enabled it, despite user requests and even the FCC asking Apple to enable the radio for emergency purposes. Still, Apple has never said why they won't (or didn't) enable the radio. iPhones 7 and later are said not to have the built-in radio, but that's also been disputed. In any case, you can't use an iPhone as a radio. There's aren't even FM receiver adapters available anymore.

But in doing more research on the subject, it appears that most, if not all, Android phones already have an embedded FM radio receiver. One would only need an Android phone, and an app called "NextRadio" (see: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nextradioapp.nextradio&hl=en_US) I haven't tested this yet (but I will) but I assume one could pair the phone with the car normally and use the built in radio for FM reception.
Thanks for the update before I bought those devices off Amazon.
BTW, I tried that Android app on my Google Pixel XL 2 and it said my carrier Verizon (or phone) didn't have/allow FM.

Does your invoice have this part number: 9874562-00-A ?
Here is what my invoice has on it.

Correction: Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.0 To Intel MCU And Autopilot 3.0 (Model S)
Parts Replaced or Added
MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5- NA (9874561-00-A)
MCU Upgrade(1582613-00-A)

I think one is the HW3 upgrade and the other is the MCU (Infotainment) upgrade. I asked about the TegraAP2.5 line item before I brought the car in to have the work done and was told that they had the correct parts. They obviously did since the job was done perfectly.

Does the upgrade you had enables one pedal driving? Thanks.
As others here have stated already, this is not a function of this upgrade. Depends on the type of motors you have and not what AP or MCU computers you have.

I noticed I got the 2020 navigation update last week. A couple days ago, I got the 2020.16.2.1 update. Now I'm just waiting on parts for the AP and MCU upgrade. Install was delayed two weeks while waiting for parts to be delivered.
My nav version is now 2020.12-11866. Don't recall what it was before the update. I did have to wait for the nav update to finish downloading and installing before the Stop Light Beta option was enabled for me to turn on. I got the 2020.16.2.1 software update last night.

Still, Apple has never said why they won't (or didn't) enable the radio.
The reason seems rather obvious - iTunes/streaming competition. Not sure what percentage of Apple music sales FM radio would cost Apple, but it certainly is greater than 0% - so why pend money to write and support an app which hurts your revenue? That is the type of conflict of interest you get when the phone manufacturer is also a premium service provider.

Reactions: MIT_S60
That is exactly what i was hoping HW3 upgrade could do .

That would be nice. But I haven’t seen anything about that functionality coming with HW 3. And I wouldn’t think this functionality would require HW 3 since AP1 and AP2 with HW 2 can fully stop. I just don’t think anyone at Tesla has made this exact functionality a priority.

Has anyone put together DIY instructions or video to retrofit the FM tuner? My regular drive takes me through areas that only have 2G so streaming isn't an option.
LOT of discussion upstream but unless your car is rooted then you won't be able to change the configuration files then it won't work.
However, MCU2 does not provision the new tuner unless you enable it in the gateway’s internals.dat car configuration. It’s my understanding that all that needs to happen is to change ethernettunertype 1 to ethernettunertype 0 or you could removing that line entirely in the gateway and it’ll start to work.

Related thread: I retrofit MCU2, IC2, Tuner2, and FSD Computer into my HW2.0 Car

Reactions: croman
Made an appointment with Paramus, NJ for this Friday and they reached out to say they don't have an FSD upgrade available for AP 2.0 yet but they can do MCU 2 upgrade if I want. They just need to push me back couple of weeks because the parts have limited availability.

Weird! I’m scheduled to have both upgraded at Paramus on the 26th. They already delayed me once (the original schedule was for the 14th), so maybe the just need to order all the parts for you. Ironically the car was in the shop on the 14th for a rear hatch repair so they know what they have on their hands.

I asked about a graphite trim update, didn’t receive a reply and then decided I didn’t want to go that way anyway.