Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird! I’m scheduled to have both upgraded at Paramus on the 26th. They already delayed me once (the original schedule was for the 14th), so maybe the just need to order all the parts for you. Ironically the car was in the shop on the 14th for a rear hatch repair so they know what they have on their hands.

I asked about a graphite trim update, didn’t receive a reply and then decided I didn’t want to go that way anyway.
Can you give us the last 6 numbers of you VIN?

You are right, even adaptive cruise control can come to a full stop.

This has been discussed elsewhere (I essentially made the same point). AP and TACC will use a combination of regen and braking to bring the car to a complete stop. Raven cars can come to a complete stop using regen alone (e.g. not using the brakes) without the need of using the AP hardware.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I noticed I got the 2020 navigation update last week. A couple days ago, I got the 2020.16.2.1 update. Now I'm just waiting on parts for the AP and MCU upgrade. Install was delayed two weeks while waiting for parts to be delivered.

I got those as well but still on HW2 and MCU1. Nav update took a day and went from about 50% to done 3x faster than to 50%.

This has been discussed elsewhere (I essentially made the same point). AP and TACC will use a combination of regen and braking to bring the car to a complete stop. Raven cars can come to a complete stop using regen alone (e.g. not using the brakes) without the need of using the AP hardware.

It isn't full Regen. They run the PM motor backwards. Big whoop. Can do same with induction. Pure laziness.

...Pure laziness.
My understanding is that the induction (non Raven) motors reach a point where they consume more power to stop than they pickup over regen as they are slowing, and that the algorithm Tesla uses is that at that point regen stops and you have to brake. Not laziness. Just an interesting tradeoff between energy savings and brake savings. Tesla chooses energy savings over single pedal driving convenience. I admit it would be great to have the option to choose, but personally I don't single pedal drive so I wouldn't want them to adopt it without the option. I assume they would put the control in the same submenu as creep if they implemented it.

My understanding is that the induction (non Raven) motors reach a point where they consume more power to stop than they pickup over regen as they are slowing, and that the algorithm Tesla uses is that at that point regen stops and you have to brake. Not laziness. Just an interesting tradeoff between energy savings and brake savings. Tesla chooses energy savings over single pedal driving convenience. I admit it would be great to have the option to choose, but personally I don't single pedal drive so I wouldn't want them to adopt it without the option. I assume they would put the control in the same submenu as creep if they implemented it.

This is 100% correct. To provide smooth operation and acceptable torque (to avoid unstable rolling back and forth) on a induction motor, operation at low speed is much much less efficient than operating a PM motor the same way, and sometimes can be a worse load and higher heat output than low speed cruising.

For an induction motor you definitely want to operate it as little as possible at low speeds, whether it's forward or reverse. Both are high energy expenditure.

With that said there's no reason why 1 pedal driving can't be accomplished with the same algorithm as TACC stops, using the friction brakes, as many prefer 1 pedal driving from a user experience point of view regardless of whether it improves efficiency.

My ~ August 2017 Model S 75D (AP2/MCU1) was just successfully upgraded by the kind folks at Tesla in Austin, TX at the Pond Springs service center. Dropped it off yesterday afternoon, given a Tesla 85D as a loaner. Texted this morning, saying it would be ready @ 3:30PM today....

Some observations -- wow, this thing is fast and smooth.

AP was already "calibrated" when I left. Worked great on the way home. The stoplight recognition did warn that it required a map update, connect with Wifi/etc. but I did not need to recalibrate anything.

Dashcam/Sentry worked immediately. Plugged in a new Samsung T5/1TB SSD that I prep-ed ahead of time. Instantly recognized it.

The visualizations on the IC were already "live" -- road markings, cones(!), trash cans, those little "slap" dividers for HOV/Toll lanes... along with stop lights (showing light colors correctly!).

AP seemed more confident and quick at executing actions in NOA, lane changes. Car seemed more confident in general when using AP through more complex intersections, areas where lanes widened, and other problem areas for AP2.

Will do more testing, obvs. but so far so good!

The Austin Service center seemed... surprised?... that the install/upgrade went as smoothly as it did. They warned that they hadn't done many, and the ones they have done have been a "challenge" in terms of fitment, FW updates taking, etc. -- originally warned it could be 3-4 days in the shop.

I'm happy that it was turned around in 24 hours without any issues!

My ~ August 2017 Model S 75D (AP2/MCU1) was just successfully upgraded by the kind folks at Tesla in Austin, TX at the Pond Springs service center. Dropped it off yesterday afternoon, given a Tesla 85D as a loaner. Texted this morning, saying it would be ready @ 3:30PM today....

Some observations -- wow, this thing is fast and smooth.

AP was already "calibrated" when I left. Worked great on the way home. The stoplight recognition did warn that it required a map update, connect with Wifi/etc. but I did not need to recalibrate anything.

Dashcam/Sentry worked immediately. Plugged in a new Samsung T5/1TB SSD that I prep-ed ahead of time. Instantly recognized it.

The visualizations on the IC were already "live" -- road markings, cones(!), trash cans, those little "slap" dividers for HOV/Toll lanes... along with stop lights (showing light colors correctly!).

AP seemed more confident and quick at executing actions in NOA, lane changes. Car seemed more confident in general when using AP through more complex intersections, areas where lanes widened, and other problem areas for AP2.

Will do more testing, obvs. but so far so good!

The Austin Service center seemed... surprised?... that the install/upgrade went as smoothly as it did. They warned that they hadn't done many, and the ones they have done have been a "challenge" in terms of fitment, FW updates taking, etc. -- originally warned it could be 3-4 days in the shop.

This is awesome! I’m dropping off my 2017 MX tomorrow morning so hope to get it back by Saturday. Can you confirm if they installed a new instrument cluster (IC) as well along with a new MCU2? For some odd reason, during appointment confirmation, the Fremont support person said, it will only be the MCU screen replacement for the infotainment upgrade. Nothing else will be replaced. My existing IC will working with MCU2. Thanks and enjoy!

Great to hear your success story, that makes a few of us now!

I'm pretty shocked that mine went through without issue too, because my paperwork was prepared differently compared to the other P/N's I see listed here, and the service advisor was very confused why I would replace a functioning MCU, and when I picked up the car I asked if it had HW3 and he seemed bewildered, but I went into the car and looked at the vehicle config and yup it was HW3. He was like "heh!"

Usually I feel like a story like this ends up with a half-disassembled car before Tesla calls me and tells me they gave up.

This is awesome! I’m dropping off my 2017 MX tomorrow morning so hope to get it back by Saturday. Can you confirm if they installed a new instrument cluster (IC) as well along with a new MCU2? For some odd reason, during appointment confirmation, the Fremont support person said, it will only be the MCU screen replacement for the infotainment upgrade. Nothing else will be replaced. My existing IC will working with MCU2. Thanks and enjoy!

No idea. Whatever they did works. The invoice I got before the appointment is... weird. Lists the part for Model X 2.5, but also says Model S AP2 and MCU1 upgrade to MCU2 and HW3... It wasn't confidence inspiring, but they clearly worked it out. :)

Good luck!

FWIW there is no possible way that IC1 would work with MCU2... that sounds like nonsense. Plus part of the slowness for rendering FSD visualizations is IC1 (which uses an even older Tegra chip than the MCU1). It makes no sense to me why they'd attempt to make a MCU2+IC1 frankenstein.

FWIW in my retrofit both the MCU and IC were changed....

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and croman
What? Someone didn't pay for the nuts? I'm gonna call and demand a refund for the $2. :D Nah, but it's insane how screwed up the communication is with the service centers. Labor, nuts, whatever......
Uh Oh. If he didn't pay for the two nuts then maybe he didn't get them..... Those two nuts hold together the whole car. Expect it to fall apart soon. :eek::rolleyes:

Good info. Exactly the reason why I never want to be an early adopter of any kind of retrofit. I prefer they practice on other cars before mine. I want it, but not that bad. :D Glad to hear it worked out well for you.

(I like the additional 'safety' aspect of this).

Yeah like wanting to blow through the cones up to the guy holding the stop sign. Great to see. Another to do something about. Still waiting for more than the visualization of safety.
IMG_20200519_124257_MP.jpg