Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does anyone know the part # of the kit for MCU1->MCU2 and AP2.0->AP3.0 ? That way I can tell my advisor the exact thing to order

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0- NA(9874562-00-A)
MCU Upgrade(1582613-00-A)

I would just say I would like the Infotainment Upgrade to MCU2 for my car while doing the FSD computer at same time.

Edit: Type not say. You can't say anything to Tesla any longer. Has to be typed.

I just made an appointment in the Tesla mobile app the other day requesting the infotainment upgrade and FSD computer upgrade. I have yet to receive any e-mail from Tesla telling me I'm eligible. I've been fighting a losing battle with my MCU1 becoming slower, crashing more frequently and pretty reliably at 50% of both recent software downloads pushed to my car. I believe my eMMC is getting ready to fail which is why I pulled the trigger on making the request. After a few days, I got the "please review the estimate and approve" notification for $2656.25 (2500 + local sales tax). Hopefully they'll have the parts next Tuesday on the scheduled appointment day, but ready for a postponement for parts availability...
Question. Could beginning MCU failure Cause phantom drain?

No, those are totally different things. Remember, it isn't the MCU that is failing. It is the EMMC chip on the computer that drives the MCU. This affects the ability of the MCU to operate, but that has nothing to do with the battery management system nor does it cause an increase in power draw from the battery by the MCU.

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0- NA(9874562-00-A)
MCU Upgrade(1582613-00-A)

I would just say I would like the Infotainment Upgrade to MCU2 for my car while doing the FSD computer at same time.

Edit: Type not say. You can't say anything to Tesla any longer. Has to be typed.

Thanks for the part numbers! Unfortunately no luck for me. Service advisor saying the system won’t let him order parts until my vehicle shows as eligible.

No, those are totally different things. Remember, it isn't the MCU that is failing. It is the EMMC chip on the computer that drives the MCU. This affects the ability of the MCU to operate, but that has nothing to do with the battery management system nor does it cause an increase in power draw from the battery by the MCU.

I wouldn't be so sure about the last part. The MCU seems to be in charge of deciding whether or not the vehicle can sleep, so a constantly crashing MCU seems like it could keep the entire vehicle from sleeping (not to mention a rebooting MCU is going to be a 12V drain which will fire up the DC DC converter to recharge the 12V battery)

Reactions: rallykeeper
Faster screen in simple terms is the MCU2. You have to pay for that. They will do the FSD computer at same time. So if you want snappier screen it does not come with the FSD unless customer pays for the MCU2 upgrade which is $2500 plus tax. Yet if you want just the FSD computer that comes with your FSD purchase you might have to wait.

Mine is scheduled in Michigan for a couple weeks out for both FSD and MCU2 upgrade due to me wanting to pay for new trim pieces.

Why new trim pieces? And where/when is yours being done? I am scheduled for June 2nd in Clarkston...

FINALLY!!! Waited 4 years for the FSD promise and my MX just got the long-awaited computer and super snappy MCU, like snap you neck kinda quick. Plano SC service center was great for the most part, except all the service advisors and Fremont customer service reps who are all completely oblivious to what exactly is happens with the MCU upgrade. It's been an emotional rollercoaster since May 8th when I got approved for the infotainment and FSD computer upgrade. Everyone I got to talk to kept assuring me that I'm only getting the infotainment upgrade and within that only the MCU (main touchscreen will get replaced/upgraded), even when I dropped off my MX this morning, the check-in advisor confidently confirmed, that it's just the infotainment upgrade, just the main screen nothing else. I kept asking, "But the service invoice has 2 line items and two separate components, along with 4 new hex nuts". The advisor insisted I'm mistaken, the SC has done a number of these now and only the AP2.5 Tesla are currently getting FSD computers. Well I sighed and said Oh well, I'll have to come in some other day. I was really thinking about getting the newer graphite trim pieces added but them opted out last minute. What I did add to the service request was to replace the cabin air filter, which is a $24 part and $19 labor, total extra cost added $45 dollars (shouldn't have charged me labor since they were already inside my dash replacing the FSD computer. But this was much more functional to me than the trim pieces. 6 hrs later, I got a call from Ray, super great manager, saying "Great news! We have completed all your assigned service tasks including the cabin air filter. As an added bonus, we were able to upgrade you to FSD computer, and we also got you a new IC unit. So you got 2 new units in total. They all come together in this big kit with your VIN number and labeled as Infotainment upgrade". So lesson here is as stated above, if you have FSD pre-paid and you want the infotainment upgrade, Just ask for the infotainment upgrade only, nothing else, otherwise you'll get really confusing answers and replies. Prime example where the right hands don't know anything about the left hand. I hope this helps. P.S. If you're on the fence about the infotainment upgrade, GET IT!!! It's totally worth it.

Lastly, all settings were transferred, except the WiFi. Pulling into my garage, my MX will not connect to my 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz SSIDs. I get IP address and DHCP error. MX connected just fine prior to the infotainment upgrade. I had to setup a new guest network for my MX to connect to Wifi and download new maps post upgrade. Anyone else had this issue.

IMG_3487.JPG

Lastly, all settings were transferred, except the WiFi. Pulling into my garage, my MX will not connect to my 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz SSIDs. I get IP address and DHCP error. MX connected just fine prior to the infotainment upgrade. I had to setup a new guest network for my MX to connect to Wifi and download new maps post upgrade. Anyone else had this issue.

View attachment 543965

Do you happen to have a reserved IP address and/or MAC address filtering on by chance?

If not, try rebooting the router. Maybe the router has the old MCU hostname associated with an existing IP address.

Reactions: Taj786
I had FSD pre purchased and still had to push the service team over about a month to schedule my MCU2 + FSD upgrade. It may have helped that my MCU1 was completely dead and I was not going to allow them to rip apart the dash twice to replace MC1 only to have to do it for FSD later. After the upgrade all is well. Still have to explore more of the new MCU2.0 features.

My Model S is from Dec 2016, AP2 MCU1 with FSD option.

Got tired of waiting for FSD upgrade invite, so last week, scheduled an appt at Rockville SC for MCU2 paid upgrade and FSD. They texted back next day and said they don’t have parts for this work. SC said they would get back to me later when parts are available. I am getting little impatient now.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Do you happen to have a reserved IP address and/or MAC address filtering on by chance?

If not, try rebooting the router. Maybe the router has the old MCU hostname associated with an existing IP address.

Don’t think so I do. Nothing is static IP enabled on my network. Auto DHCP with 10.x.x.x/24 so have plenty of host nodes available with liberal lease duration of 24hrs. Total of 20 clients on the network. No Zwave or Zigbee hubs. I do have an extender specifically for my Tesla by the garage, in repeater mode only. Wondering what changed with the new MCU network adapter. Need to start looking at some network traces and wire shark captures.

Reactions: Red_DS
My Model S is from Dec 2016, AP2 MCU1 with FSD option.

Got tired of waiting for FSD upgrade invite, so last week, scheduled an appt at Rockville SC for MCU2 paid upgrade and FSD. They texted back next day and said they don’t have parts for this work. SC said they would get back to me later when parts are available. I am getting little impatient now.

Same here, except my SC says they won't even notify me and that I'm the one who has to keep checking back. I guess if they want to keep getting bugged over and over that's their prerogative

My ‘17 S went in to Tyson’s in VA yesterday morning for the MCU1/AP2.0 swap out. I called at 4pm and the hardware was all in and working but the download had not finished. If it got done by 5pm they would roll it out and I could pick it up. Unfortunately my app notified me it finished about 7pm. They are closed the weekend and Monday holiday :(. So I guess I’m done but won’t get to play till Tuesday.

Another thing I noticed while reviewing the dashcam footage is it's encoded in H.264. I read on multiple posts including on TeslaTap's that dashcam footage is encoded in H.265, especially when equipped with FSD computer. Viewing Video – Tesla Dashcam Advice, Recommendations and more!

I'm running 2020.16.2.1 firmware. Does anyone have their dashcam footage encoded in H.265? Is it due to the RCCC camera suite?

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 8.17.21 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Same here, except my SC says they won't even notify me and that I'm the one who has to keep checking back. I guess if they want to keep getting bugged over and over that's their prerogative
I am also continuing to reschedule the work, but will also dump these folks as soon as warranty expires and I find an independent shop. (About a year ago I took my car in for some work and was told that they had texted me to postpone the work. They knew the text didn’t get through and said they had the same problem with other customers that day. Yet they had no explanation why they didn’t either phone or email me. That would have been too much trouble apparently.)

Another thing I noticed while reviewing the dashcam footage is it's encoded in H.264. I read on multiple posts including on TeslaTap's that dashcam footage is encoded in H.265, especially when equipped with FSD computer. Viewing Video – Tesla Dashcam Advice, Recommendations and more!

I'm running 2020.16.2.1 firmware. Does anyone have their dashcam footage encoded in H.265? Is it due to the RCCC camera suite?
Good 'highlights for consumers' of the diff between H.264 vs H.265: What is H.265, and Why Is It Better than H.264? - Make Tech Easier

Aside: my MCU1+AP2.0 June '17 X was rescheduled from next Tue 26th to the following week as parts/kit (MCU2+FSD) didn't arrive yet. Westmont, IL.