Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just upgraded my 2017 Model S 75 to MCU2 / HW3.0, from MCU1 / AP2.5.
It is very worth it in my opinion!

MCU2 ($2,500)

Entertainment (Car came with unlimited streaming)
- Netflix - Game changer, car is a drive in movie theater with a kick ass sound system (the perfect COVID19 getaway car).
- YouTube - First thing any kid wants to do is show you a video, now they can.
- Browser - Very usable now

Utility
- Menu Speed - A bit faster, much smoother.
- 4 camera Sentry recording - Critical rear view included now.
- Cam viewer - Greatly simplifies reviewing videos in car, used to be a science project.
- USB Music loading - This is huge. I have 10,000 songs (most of my FLAC music collection). It used to take 20 minutes to "load" 2 USB sticks after insertion, now it takes 30 seconds. 10K songs was an MCU1 limit of sorts, can't wait to see if it can handle more.

Maps - Big speed improvement here, map used to literally freeze right when you needed to pan and zoom your destination.
- Pan and zoom not only works but flies!
- Layer changes (Geo, Traffic, Superchargers) paint fast.
- Route calculation speed is 10 times faster.

HW3.0 (board was free, had previously paid for FSD)

- Was part of Early Access, to be able to continue to be part of this AutoPilot evolution is a dream
- To contribute to AP development (each driver intervention helps train the neural net) is priceless.
- FSD visualizations - Seeing what the car sees (Lights, Cones, people animations), is mesmerizing to this engineer.
- Stop signs / Stop lights - From AP to Summon to navigating intersections, what will be next?!
- FSD is only for Beta testers, those who like to tinker (new features make the car drive like a drunken teenager).
- Regular AP is all one needs/uses for commuting.

Tried to schedule MCU upgrade and FSD for my Jan 2017 Model S AP2.0 via the app, here is what my service center in Norway answered:

«You are referring to a Bulletin intended for North America. At this time we do not offer upgrading from Media unit with Tegra processor to Media unit with Intel processor in Europe.

That's correct what you say, that in America, customers who have paid for FSD, can pay for this upgrade. If there are problems with the media device under warranty and the customer has paid for FSD then the customer can also choose to purchase for this upgrade. But this also applies only to North America. Every media device upgrade is customer paid no matter what the car's fault.

When this upgrade will be available in Europe is still uncertain. DAB + will be available after this upgrade.

The same goes for the customer's desire to upgrade the autopilot control unit, this is not available per now for your car, but it may be possible to install it at your service appointment mid June 2020»

I just have to wait and see.

Tried to schedule MCU upgrade and FSD for my Jan 2017 Model S AP2.0 via the app, here is what my service center in Norway answered:

«You are referring to a Bulletin intended for North America. At this time we do not offer upgrading from Media unit with Tegra processor to Media unit with Intel processor in Europe.

That's correct what you say, that in America, customers who have paid for FSD, can pay for this upgrade. If there are problems with the media device under warranty and the customer has paid for FSD then the customer can also choose to purchase for this upgrade. But this also applies only to North America. Every media device upgrade is customer paid no matter what the car's fault.

When this upgrade will be available in Europe is still uncertain. DAB + will be available after this upgrade.

The same goes for the customer's desire to upgrade the autopilot control unit, this is not available per now for your car, but it may be possible to install it at your service appointment mid June 2020»

I just have to wait and see.
I'm from the UK, I hope that in the next month or so I can have the upgrade.

Late 2017 MS with AP2.5 and MCU1 of course. I was one of a small group that paid for EAP(enhanced auto pilot) so for me to upgrade the infotainment system and HW3 it would be $6500 total. 4K for FSD and $2500 for MCU2.

I was hoping some others would tell me their opinions on how doing this upgrade may help to someday sell/increase resale value.
Seems to me that in light of the whole failing EMMC issue as well as having FSD and all the latest hardware (computer wise at least) would be a big benefit for people looking at used cars. I realize it would NOT recover the 6500 dollars but if I got some back down the road at selling time I might be happy. and of course I would be enjoying the upgraded components for next couple years as well.

If FSD is increasing in price again next month $1,000 (as Elon says) and it continues to do this as the FSD experience gets better and better I think cars capable of this will become quite the hot item someday. Even if it’s never truly level 4-5 autonomy it keeps getting better people are certainly going to want these cars even if used. Could these cars appreciate as FSD gets better?
Love to hear some thoughts either way.

Late 2017 MS with AP2.5 and MCU1 of course. I was one of a small group that paid for EAP(enhanced auto pilot) so for me to upgrade the infotainment system and HW3 it would be $6500 total. 4K for FSD and $2500 for MCU2.

I was hoping some others would tell me their opinions on how doing this upgrade may help to someday sell/increase resale value.
Seems to me that in light of the whole failing EMMC issue as well as having FSD and all the latest hardware (computer wise at least) would be a big benefit for people looking at used cars. I realize it would NOT recover the 6500 dollars but if I got some back down the road at selling time I might be happy. and of course I would be enjoying the upgraded components for next couple years as well.

If FSD is increasing in price again next month $1,000 (as Elon says) and it continues to do this as the FSD experience gets better and better I think cars capable of this will become quite the hot item someday. Even if it’s never truly level 4-5 autonomy it keeps getting better people are certainly going to want these cars even if used. Could these cars appreciate as FSD gets better?

I'm in the same boat as you. no way it's worth the 6500. I'm waiting to get my upgraded emmc back that will have read/write speeds 10-20x faster than the baseline hynix memory. To me it was better money spent (500 vs 6500), plus I get to keep my LH Amp. Whitex has said the emmc upgrade makes it fast enough to not need the MCU2 upgrade. I'll be sure to throw my 2 cents in when I get it re-installed later this week.

Don't buy into the FSD price increase....by the time it's actual FSD, you'll need / want a new car.

I'm in the same boat as you. no way it's worth the 6500. I'm waiting to get my upgraded emmc back that will have read/write speeds 10-20x faster than the baseline hynix memory. To me it was better money spent (500 vs 6500), plus I get to keep my LH Amp. Whitex has said the emmc upgrade makes it fast enough to not need the MCU2 upgrade. I'll be sure to throw my 2 cents in when I get it re-installed later this week.

Don't buy into the FSD price increase....by the time it's actual FSD, you'll need / want a new car.

there is another option to cure slow mcu1 other than mcu2?
Is there a link?

It should get a premium over the average price of a similar vehicle without it, but it will never be an appreciating asset, like Elon has said. You should buy it if you want to have 'now-cutting-edge' tech, but realize that 2-5 years down the road there will be newer cars, newer hardware and newer batteries that will make today's vehicle just plain old, and nothing is going to change this with software updates...

there is another option to cure slow mcu1 other than mcu2?
Is there a link?
Most challenging part is getting to the tegra. but the DIYs and video tutorials make it super easy. Costs 20 bucks to get a blood pressure cuff to help lift the top trim.

Or just watch the electrified garage walk through. It's do-able for anyone. If you've used Lego blocks, you can work on Teslas...seriously

I've just stood on the shoulders of the giants before me.

Off-topic but worth a mention.

(new features make the car drive like a drunken teenager).

This is the best way to describe the new 'Stop for traffic lights' functionality. It's gotten me a couple of dirty looks already so I have disabled it until it gets a little more mature.

The main road I drive on most of the time is a highway/parkway with traffic lights (posted speed limit is 55 MPH and most people drive 65-70 MPH on it. No fun approaching a green traffic light (or worse flashing yellow lights) doing 60 and the car suddenly slows down with someone not too far behind you.

Also not crazy about the fact that when the feature is enabled, the autopilot nag warning is reduced to 20 seconds down from 45 with it disabled.

It looks like this is becoming routine.

Scheduled in my app on Monday morning (of course it proposed mobile service).
Got proposed change to service center June 1 this morning.
Got invoice with details exactly as expected for MCU1 to MCU2 and Autopilot 2.0 to 3.0 upgrade!
All very routine and quick service planned.

Gonna try to schedule again today and see what happens

Gonna try to schedule again today and see what happens

SC says I'm now eligible for MCU 1 to 2 and AP 2 to 3 but the details are kind of bizarre

"
Hi
Your vehicle is eligible for the MCU upgrade. The hardware 3 computer will get installed at the same time as the MCU and the full self driving software will be sent over the air in a future firmware update when your vehicle is eligible. We will go ahead and get the MCU kit ordered for you. It's $2500 plus tax.

Best,
"

What is this nonsense about FSD OTA firmware update *when eligible* BS?

SC says I'm now eligible for MCU 1 to 2 and AP 2 to 3 but the details are kind of bizarre ...
You are reading too much into that. They are talking about **full** self driving. I think they have people get the upgrade and believe the car will drive itself and they can take their hands off the wheel and read a book. You'll get the same OTA as everyone else which currently are incremental steps (ie. beta red light and stopsigns).

SC says I'm now eligible for MCU 1 to 2 and AP 2 to 3 but the details are kind of bizarre

"
Hi
Your vehicle is eligible for the MCU upgrade. The hardware 3 computer will get installed at the same time as the MCU and the full self driving software will be sent over the air in a future firmware update when your vehicle is eligible. We will go ahead and get the MCU kit ordered for you. It's $2500 plus tax.

Best,
"

They probably mean :when "Full self drive" will be available.

They mean now that you actually have HW3 you will get FSD stuff, as you already do, like the visualizations. I agree it was added to the notifications to stop stupid questions. We are used to dealing with Mensa-level Tesla discussions here (believe it or not) as we do often know more than the SCs. The service centers deal with people who think the cars already *come* with self driving, so proactive verbiage is definitely a good idea. Unfortunately.

Have you looked at the poster's location in profile on the left? That gives a good indication of the general area of the upgrade. :)
They posted that right after someone whos poster location said SoCal. Here are Service Centers in Southern CA. They may want to take their vehicle to a place with known experience in the upgrade was my guess.

rJ4PRr8.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert