Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A user on the AP 2 facebook group just posted this!

"Was notified today that my 2016 MX75D AP2.0 w FSD is eligible for fsd computer upgrade! They are ordering the parts! I'm in Alaska and it will be installed via mobile service. I'm not going to hold my breath but I will update the hive when I get it.
1f642.png
:) I inquired on the MCU 1 TO 2 upgrade and the service tech believes its available- they are going to get back to me on it... $2500."

It’s a few days since the upgrade and have not driven much. While cleaning I noticed the screen is not perfectly straight. See the top edge and right edge. Has anyone else had this issues and what remediation steps were taken. Should I take it back to SC and get it fixed? Thanks.

C2D0573C-0F00-4132-A616-87B30D9DA382.jpeg

It’s a few days since the upgrade and have not driven much. While cleaning I noticed the screen is not perfectly straight. See the top edge and right edge. Has anyone else had this issues and what remediation steps were taken. Should I take it back to SC and get it fixed? Thanks.

View attachment 545901
Your screen looks straight, top trim might not be perfectly aligned, but Tesla's are not built with tolerances that tight for trim. You could try pushing down on the dash above top left of your screen, see if you can get the dash to come down a little (the top trim is part of the dash). You could also take out the entire MCU and try adjusting the right trim, but it sounds like a whole lot of effort for something so insignificant, IMHO.

• Helpful
Reactions: Taj786 and croman
My AP2/ MCU 1 to MCU2/AP3 appointment canceled. Parts backordered MCU, but my graphite trim is in.

Your screen looks straight, top trim might not be perfectly aligned, but Tesla's are not built with tolerances that tight for trim. You could try pushing down on the dash above top left of your screen, see if you can get the dash to come down a little (the top trim is part of the dash). You could also take out the entire MCU and try adjusting the right trim, but it sounds like a whole lot of effort for something so insignificant, IMHO.

It's bespoke my wife says. I call it a fault line. Needless to say. I am asking for a picture of the install before I pick mine up. They said would be happy to text me one.
IMG_20200525_094530~2.jpg

Yeah the more I look at it, the more it seems to be the trim. I'll try to fiddle with the dash trim. Otherwise taking out the MCU for a minor adjustment seems to be too much for little gain. Appreciate your insight :)

My AP2/ MCU 1 to MCU2/AP3 appointment canceled. Parts backordered MCU, but my graphite trim is in.

It's bespoke my wife says. I call it a fault line. Needless to say. I am asking for a picture of the install before I pick mine up. They said would be happy to text me one.
View attachment 545903

Oh man! That looks significantly off specs, unless it's within specs according to Tesla. Yeah, I'm concerned if I take out the MCU for even a slight adjustment, I might end messing up something else. Wondering if your issue could be the trim misalignment as well.

Yeah the more I look at it, the more it seems to be the trim. I'll try to fiddle with the dash trim. Otherwise taking out the MCU for a minor adjustment seems to be too much for little gain. Appreciate your insight :)
Oh man! That looks significantly off specs, unless it's within specs according to Tesla. Yeah, I'm concerned if I take out the MCU for even a slight adjustment, I might end messing up something else. Wondering if your issue could be the trim misalignment as well.

It is going to come out at some point. I think the improvements would mean it would come out fewer times in the future. We had a screen replaced while back, and the service center was a day away by the time we got it back via flatbed. I wasn't going to have them flatbed it back. Seems like a huge waste of resources for a trim piece. So my thought was it was going to be eventually coming out again. Just waited.

I would take that back to the SC for a fix! But I'm anal like that. Do you think the SC would give us a hard time for sending it back for these minor issues? Anyone with any experience with SC response on fixing these little things?

When my SC did my airbag recall they put a deep scratch in the leather trim around the MCU and the glovebox had a marking on it too. Was a bit annoyed with the deep scratch. They asked if I took a photo before the work and since I hadn’t they didn’t fix it. When I get my HW3 work done I’ll be taking lots of “before” pics I guess.

All done and it is fantastic!

All done and it is fantastic! Tyson's Corner SC in Virginia finished my upgrade yesterday. Charged my card on file when I picked it up and I was on my way. The trim and everything install related is perfect. My firmware was downgraded to 2020.12.x but upgraded back to 2020.16.x overnight. I had to re-enter my WIFI password and re-do the garage door opener profile but that isn't a big deal. Overall I am very happy with the responsiveness of the screen. There is a lot of road construction going near me so I find the new cones on the display very distracting, but I'm sure I'll learn to ignore that.

Good luck to everyone trying to get an appointment! You won't regret it.
bumper: what version/ year are you / I'll gauge when I can do it off of that . Tysons is a really good shop , we are lucky

When my SC did my airbag recall they put a deep scratch in the leather trim around the MCU and the glovebox had a marking on it too. Was a bit annoyed with the deep scratch. They asked if I took a photo before the work and since I hadn’t they didn’t fix it. When I get my HW3 work done I’ll be taking lots of “before” pics I guess.
I always take photos before going into service for all my cars regardless of manufacturer. You might be surprised (or maybe not) about how often those photos come in handy. just takes a couple minutes as I get out of the car. :)

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Finally got my car updated. 2016 AP2/MCU1 to AP3/MCU2. 2 delayed appointments in early May, finally got everything installed yesterday, May 28. However, when they installed the MCU2, all profile settings were missing and I lost the ability to remotely open the car doors / frunk / trunk through the app. So I had to bring my car back to the service center to fix this. This is the Fremont Service Center.

Finally got my car updated. 2016 AP2/MCU1 to AP3/MCU2. 2 delayed appointments in early May, finally got everything installed yesterday, May 28. However, when they installed the MCU2, all profile settings were missing and I lost the ability to remotely open the car doors / frunk / trunk through the app. So I had to bring my car back to the service center to fix this. This is the Fremont Service Center.
That sounds odd. Why would you have needed to go back to the service center for that?

I saw everyone requesting in mobile app, so I did the same last week. They pushed me out another week and I was able to get in.
This was the Palo Alto, CA service center. Just got the car back today. Went in Tuesday. Wednesday they called and had a couple misc. parts they still needed and had to order. Other parts they needed came in yesterday. Got the car back today.

Config:
2017 Tesla Model X P100D w/ FSD.
Upgraded MCU1-->MCU2, HW2.0 --> HW3.0

Just got the car back. As others mentioned, it is like a new car, had to resetup everything.

Small glitches so far.
-Radio/media disappeared, clicking music icon would not bring it back up. I had to reboot screen to get it back and all is good.
-Map update was about 25% completed and said I need to connect to wifi. I connected to wifi when I got home, but games and nav still said I need to connect to wifi. Rebooting the screen got things going and the games were able to download and be updated. I am still waiting for the map update to happen. I go to update screen, it shows as up to date, so not sure if the map update will happen in the background? Or anything I can do to get that started. Cameras are at 96% calibration so far.

I really love having all of the features that were not available before. Also, the speed and snappiness/performance of the screen is so much better. Loving it so far. Seems like the HW2 is harder to get done than the HW2.5, glad I was able to get it done.

Others:
Model 3 HW3 brain replacement caused temporary amnesia but Tesla quickly restored settings, Autopilot improvement demonstrated with new FSD Computer | TinkerTry IT @ Home
HW3 SERVICE CHECKLIST
* BEFORE DROPPING OFF
* RIGHT AFTER HW3 FSD COMPUTER UPGRADE
* BEFORE YOU DRIVE AWAY FROM TESLA SERVICE
* WHEN YOU GET BACK HOME ON WIFI

• Helpful
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D