Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my SC did my airbag recall they put a deep scratch in the leather trim around the MCU and the glovebox had a marking on it too. Was a bit annoyed with the deep scratch. They asked if I took a photo before the work and since I hadn’t they didn’t fix it. When I get my HW3 work done I’ll be taking lots of “before” pics I guess.

Good idea! Thanks for the tip. I never took pictures before, but I guess when they are going to be dismantling lots of interior trim, it's a good idea to have picture documentation of the before state!

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I brought my 2017 AP 2.0 model S in to Paramus at 11 on the 26th, got it back at the same time today, the 29th. So expect three days in the shop.

A while back someone said there would be no upgrade for the Instrument Cluster and that I wouldn't get traffic cones and new visualizations. NOT AT ALL. As others have more recently pointed out, the IC is replaced along with the touchscreen. Both are much brighter.

Big surprises: voice actually works… "Navigate to home" or "Navigate to Edge of the Woods nursery" (In my list of places I've been to this spring) instantly worked. The web works, everything works. It's just great. I highly recommend it. My garage doors worked, but I've also paid for the EVE Teslapps and I can use the MyQ garage door openers with my Tesla now.

Tesla theater is very nice. We stopped to buy a Logitech F710 and played Cuphead easily. We couldn’t figure out how to fire in Asteroid and Missile Command was hampered by the steering wheel impacting the game pad inputs.

I reformatted my SSD drive to work with the dash cam. It works well and the USB audio player seems much better. I don’t have album artwork though, so I’ll need to see how to get that working.

I had premium connectivity before the upgrade and I still have it now.

The only glitch is that in order to see the FSD visualizations, the Tesla says I need to connect to a wifi network to download updated maps. Well, I did that. No progress yet.

Big surprises: voice actually works… "Navigate to home" or "Navigate to Edge of the Woods nursery" (In my list of places I've been to this spring) instantly worked.
There shouldn't be any improvements to voice nav related to getting HW3. It is a firmware thing. Oh, and try telling it to take you to Home Depot. Anything with the word "home" in it is interpreted as thinking you want to go home. At least until they fix it.

• Funny
Reactions: whitex
There shouldn't be any improvements to voice nav related to getting HW3. It is a firmware thing. Oh, and try telling it to take you to Home Depot. Anything with the word "home" in it is interpreted as thinking you want to go home. At least until they fix it.

Sorry you had a different experience, but voice anything didn’t work with MCU1. It took forever and usually timed out.

Sorry you had a different experience, but voice anything didn’t work with MCU1. It took forever and usually timed out.
Perhaps I should clarify. I am on MCU1 and it works great. The timeout you are talking about typically occurred in poor cellular areas. After a software update from about a month ago, it now works great for me whereas as in the past it was spotty as you say. So it is not an MCU1 thing. The only weird thing is that the current translation of "Home Depot" seems to think I want to go home instead (on both cars old and new). It is an interpretation thing by the software, not a connection issue. :)

Last edited:
Just got virtual message to cancel my upgrade for 06/03/2020. Then got a follow up phone call telling me the reason for cancellation is that the person at Princeton SC that orders parts is on maternity leave. Therefore, they don’t know when I will get upgrade. My VIN has been approved. Reschedule in a month!

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Just got virtual message to cancel my upgrade for 06/03/2020. Then got a follow up phone call telling me the reason for cancellation is that the person at Princeton SC that orders parts is on maternity leave. Therefore, they don’t know when I will get upgrade. My VIN has been approved. Reschedule in a month!
Gee, there is only one person to process that ? No other person to perform that task while they are out having a baby? :rolleyes: