Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry you had a different experience, but voice anything didn’t work with MCU1. It took forever and usually timed out.

One thing I noticed is that the "technique" to input voice commands changed over time. In my MCU1 cars with firmware 9+ I had to press the "talk" button, speak, and press the button again to advise that I was done. Used to work well.

With the "spoken sentences" firmware 10 update doing this now always leads to the voice command timing out with no action. Instead it now behaves like the OG system (think 2013) where the button was only pushed once, followed by the spoken command. Works fairly well, even with MCU1.

One thing I noticed is that the "technique" to input voice commands changed over time. In my MCU1 cars with firmware 9+ I had to press the "talk" button, speak, and press the button again to advise that I was done. Used to work well.

With the "spoken sentences" firmware 10 update doing this now always leads to the voice command timing out with no action. Instead it now behaves like the OG system (think 2013) where the button was only pushed once, followed by the spoken command. Works fairly well, even with MCU1.
True and Tesla doc for old and new show that change.

OLD:
EAgMV57.jpg

NEW:
0LLJaxO.jpg

Dropped off my S this AM for the MCU1 > MCU2 as well, the AP computer upgrade, and body work (I took a bad hit in the car a few months ago from projectile road debris and this trip to service is designed to correct the damage as well as get the AP computer upgrade).

Have a Jan 2017 build and bought FSD when I purchased the vehicle.

Will report back on how it turns out when I get the car back in a few days.

So I've been using MCU2+AP3 for a few days now, and I gotta say, it's totally worth the $2500 upgrade.

MCU2 is so quick, Voice Control is actually usable. Love having AP3 stopping for Stop Signs (as you have to stop at them anyway). The traffic light control needs a little work, but it's not too bad.

I thought I'd make a few Youtube Vids, of the TeslaCam Footage. I actually got a new Gimbal and will try make some videos of the IC's FSD visualizations also. I took two during the daytime, and one at night. Santa Monica was like a Warzone last night due to the horrible civil unrest going on yesterday.

I brought my 2017 AP 2.0 model S in to Paramus at 11 on the 26th, got it back at the same time today, the 29th. So expect three days in the shop.
Wow. That took a long time. FYI, I have (had) an appointment for tomorrow (6/2) at the Clarkston SC (recently opened in Michigan - hurray - no more car-hauling it to Toledo or Cleveland!!!) but my wife was getting knee surgery today at a hospital near them so I made arrangements to drop it off today for tomorrow. They gave me a loaner. This was at 10AM. While still at the hospital, got a text saying my car was done (2PM). Unfortunately, I had to stay at the hospital until 5PM so I couldn't get it back today but as you can see it took no more than 4 hours to do it (and they were also going to look at my squeaky sunroof as well). So I guess YMMV as they say. Hopefully, there will not be any issues as some have reported...

I had this done at the Plano service center when it was first announced, went smoothly.
That’s great to hear. I am scheduled with Plano SC for the 19th. They kicked it out a couple weeks. Told me no parts on hand. But I’m fine waiting. I plan on taking a short video of the dash and trim just to be on the safe side.
I’m glad to know they have done a few of these already.

Reactions: Gt1948
Had an appt scheduled for this Thurs for MCU2 and AP3. SC just canceled saying MCU not in yet and they tentatively rescheduled a week out, so we'll see what happens.
I have an appt for this Thur in Chicagoland and my parts are ETA'd to be in tomorrow. They are going to follow up tomorrow (Wed) once (if) they arrive and confirm my Thur appt.

Had an appt scheduled for this Thurs for MCU2 and AP3. SC just canceled saying MCU not in yet and they tentatively rescheduled a week out, so we'll see what happens.

Mine got delayed a week too (had it done yesterday after it was pushed from 5/25) - was shipped from CA on time for the appointment but FedEx had a delay and was told it wasn't going to be there until 5/26 so the next available slot was 6/2. But after dropping it off early on 6/1, they did it when another person cancelled his appointment.

Drove it home today. Had to drive about 15 minutes for the camera to calibrate, then used my phone's WIFI hotspot to download the new maps so stop light/sign feature worked (not sure why they just didn't do it overnight). Took over 75 minutes to download on my trip back (SC is 1.5 hrs away), then had trouble turning that feature on. Finally got it to initialize this evening but was too late to try it out. Tomorrow is test day for it. Also tried out Sentry mode-recording. Works great. As does the web browser and Netflix when you have a WIFI connection.

Part of the issue with the upgrade may be a shortage of the HW3 computer. I assume it's the same for the Model 3 as the others, but I put in an appointment for my 3, and they said they are waiting for more to come in, and they will let me know when they do. (Car meets all requirements, etc., they just can't get any.) I suspect all the new cars and Infotainment upgrades and other upgrades ran down the optional supply for HW3 computers.

Part of the issue with the upgrade may be a shortage of the HW3 computer. I assume it's the same for the Model 3 as the others, but I put in an appointment for my 3, and they said they are waiting for more to come in, and they will let me know when they do. (Car meets all requirements, etc., they just can't get any.) I suspect all the new cars and Infotainment upgrades and other upgrades ran down the optional supply for HW3 computers.

They don't share the same part. In the Model 3 the unit contains the MCU computer as well as the AP computer and is liquid cooled. For the Model S&X the AP computer is a separate air cooled unit. But they could be limited on HW3 processors which would be shared.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Mine got delayed a week too (had it done yesterday after it was pushed from 5/25) - was shipped from CA on time for the appointment but FedEx had a delay and was told it wasn't going to be there until 5/26 so the next available slot was 6/2. But after dropping it off early on 6/1, they did it when another person cancelled his appointment.

Drove it home today. Had to drive about 15 minutes for the camera to calibrate, then used my phone's WIFI hotspot to download the new maps so stop light/sign feature worked (not sure why they just didn't do it overnight). Took over 75 minutes to download on my trip back (SC is 1.5 hrs away), then had trouble turning that feature on. Finally got it to initialize this evening but was too late to try it out. Tomorrow is test day for it. Also tried out Sentry mode-recording. Works great. As does the web browser and Netflix when you have a WIFI connection.

Frank, just checking, why did you say does Netflix when you have a WIFI connection, based on your car year, you should be grandfathered with Unlimited Premium Connectivity. Netflix should work on LTE as well

Reactions: Gt1948