Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MS 75 (July ‘17 Build) My SC is waiting on the Infotainment Kit (MCU1/AP2) to MCU2 and FSD computer. Does anyone know when the upgrades kit will be available?

I was told 1-2 months by my SC on Friday. At this point I am growing tired of the different responses I am getting from them. I had appointment 2 weeks ago to get my AP2 upgraded to AP3. Mobile tech came out and naturally didn't have the harness required so ordered it. I followed up on Friday and was told it was in stock and asked when I wanted to schedule it. I inquired about doing the MCU2 upgrade at the same time. Got a response back about an hour later saying "we are still waiting for the 2.0 MCU retrofit kits to upgrade to the infotainment. We do not expect a release for another 2 months."

I am now trying to clarify if I can still get my AP2 upgraded since the parts are in and I have already signed off on the invoice where I can see both the new AP3 hardware and the required harness.

Have not heard back since I asked for that clarification. Should have just left the MCU question out of it because it just creates too much confusion it seems. I just wanted everything done in the same appointment and their MCU upgrade site says AP2 is "scheduling now".

• Helpful
Reactions: Vector2
Just saw a note in another thread that "classic" 2013 Model S may be able to get MCU2 eventually:
High maintenance car ever I owned

Anyone else heard this or have details?

It is has been on the Infotainment upgrade page that Tesla published forever... So this isn't a surprise. What we don't know is when they will make it available.

May 2017 S100D AP2 MCU1 pre-paid FSD, scheduled for MCU2 and AP3 upgrade on July 8th @ Nashville-Brentwood SC.

Tesla Service Estimate.PNG

Reactions: gregoryg
Made another appointment attempt for the second time with Orlando SC last night. Got a text this morning saying they canceled it due to lack of MCU parts. Got a second text saying they have ordered the parts so that may be progress. The second text also asks if I could associate ownership to my vehicle. No idea what they mean by that anyone seen that before? They haven't answered yet when I asked for clarification.

Sept 2017 MX 75D AP 2.5 and MCU1

Originally scheduled MCU2 and HW3 upgrade for 5/20. Notified a couple days prior that the appointment would be cancelled but parts have been ordered to complete both upgrades. Received notification today that parts were still backordered with no specific ETA.

The wait continues...

Made another appointment attempt for the second time with Orlando SC last night. Got a text this morning saying they canceled it due to lack of MCU parts. Got a second text saying they have ordered the parts so that may be progress. The second text also asks if I could associate ownership to my vehicle. No idea what they mean by that anyone seen that before? They haven't answered yet when I asked for clarification.

I would recommend that you send them the following:
  • Your VIN Number (they should already have it)
  • Your e-mail address in your Tesla Tesla contact information
  • You phone number associated with your Tesla Account
This should give them everything that they need.

Seems that would make little sense for any appointment made from the app as it has the info in the appt. I’d reply as stated above (VIN etc) and ask why they didn’t automatically have the info. Can’t be the first appointment you ever made, right?

One thing to check after your MCU2 upgrade....

Make sure your mobile app can unlock the doors, pop trunk and Frunk.

After a week of using the upgrade I forgot my fob and opened the app to unlock the car. It shows it went through but nothing happens. Same for trunk and Frunk. It will vent windows and honk horn. Called Tesla lock out who sent the command, showed no errors and had no idea. Was in good network area.

Apparently after any MCU upgrade, they need to “reset your security remote key”, which they forgot to do.

Calling the customer service number, no one knew anything. Scheduled an appointment, they were able to respond to that and remotely fix without needing a ranger to come out.

Just a quick thing to check before you drive off the service lot.

One thing to check after your MCU2 upgrade....
Make sure your mobile app can unlock the doors, pop trunk and Frunk.
After a week of using the upgrade I forgot my fob and opened the app to unlock the car. It shows it went through but nothing happens. Same for trunk and Frunk. It will vent windows and honk horn. Called Tesla lock out who sent the command, showed no errors and had no idea. Was in good network area.
Apparently after any MCU upgrade, they need to “reset your security remote key”, which they forgot to do.
Calling the customer service number, no one knew anything. Scheduled an appointment, they were able to respond to that and remotely fix without needing a ranger to come out.
Just a quick thing to check before you drive off the service lot.
Good tip. Here is an article that is a checklist but it was done for the TM3. Of course, a TM3 can have a FOB now I guess. Will see if author can update article with your tip.

Model 3 HW3 brain replacement caused temporary amnesia but Tesla quickly restored settings, Autopilot improvement demonstrated with new FSD Computer | TinkerTry IT @ Home

Hey @scottf200 and @ImpetuousRacer, I updated and improved my checklist, thanks you both of you. I really appreciate it, and so will future readers! I just checked my analytics, and found that apparently 2,800 folks have found my article, that's a lot of upgrades!
Good checklist. But I didn't see the universal "before dropping off your car for service" item, which is even more important in this case because they are taking things apart. Take pictures of everything. You don't want to argue about whether a scratch was there before, or whether that piece of trim was misaligned.

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
This morning I received the following information on my Tesla app regarding my 18.06.2020 appointment (first time I got such a message for an appointment) :

IMG_4077.png

The message is telling me that they are preparing my service appointment. The next step will be the Service cost estimate ("Kostenvoranschlag" in German).

Below the original service appointment I booked 3 weeks ago.

IMG_4075.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hbrink and f205v
This morning I received the following information on my Tesla app regarding my 18.06.2020 appointment...

Not to be negative Nancy, but don't hold your breath. Every appointment I've scheduled has reached this step, and the day before the appointment they push it back because there's no parts. That's happened... Three times thus far, I believe? My next appointment is this Thursday, so we'll see if it'll be a fourth delay.

I hope your experience is different, though!

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Not to be negative Nancy, but don't hold your breath. Every appointment I've scheduled has reached this step, and the day before the appointment they push it back because there's no parts. That's happened... Three times thus far, I believe? My next appointment is this Thursday, so we'll see if it'll be a fourth delay.

I hope your experience is different, though!
My FSD upgrade is already confirmed and was planned on the 25.05.2020, but after contacted the SC, I cancelled my appointment to wait for the MCU2 upgrade. So we will see. But this time I will go with the FSD upgrade only if no MCU2 available for me yet. I hope your will get yours this Thursday.

Good checklist. But I didn't see the universal "before dropping off your car for service" item, which is even more important in this case because they are taking things apart. Take pictures of everything. You don't want to argue about whether a scratch was there before, or whether that piece of trim was misaligned.
You are quite right, I've heard of numerous other people finding some damage after the upgrade, and I've added your tip to my article at this spot.
Model 3 HW3 brain replacement can cause temporary amnesia but Tesla Service can quickly restore your settings, all you need to know before you go | TinkerTry IT @ Home
Thank you for the great feedback!

I felt a bit foolish today. Contacted my Service Center about having my 2017 AP2.0 Enhanced Autopilot MCU 1 Model S scheduled for a possible MCU 2 upgrade and I was told the following.

Good Morning,

Your vehicle would qualify for the Infotainment Upgrade AFTER you purchase the Full Self Drive Capabilities for $4,000 (pre-tax). After you purchase that, then we can perform the Infotainment Upgrade for $2,500 (pre-tax) which includes the Full Self Drive Computer retrofit.”

I had no idea it’s really a $6500 upgrade. Has anyone had an upgrade with out Full Self Driving paid for?