Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Primarily concerned as to whether the SC has the proper parts on hand when I drop it off, given the uncertainty surrounding this specific upgrade (mine is the estimate with multiple misspellings). Not that anyone around here has ever run into missing/incorrect parts with this upgrade ;-) ....
I'd not worry too much. The upgrade kit is shipped to the SC marked with your VIN, and it cannot be used on anyone else's car, at least that's the way it's done at my SC in Ohio. I think that someone in CA punched in your VIN and the proper upgrade kit should have been matched to it. At this point, the SC told me that they must order the kits individually as they are requested. They cannot yet obtain kits for their stock shelves, so this is unlikely to change before you get your upgrade.

I dropped off my 2017 S for the MCU2 + FSD upgrade (from MCU 1 + AP2.0) this Friday morning.
It was done by Friday 5 PM & was told to come pick it up anytime (fob left inside and use app to unlock) on Saturday.
Went to pick it up today, but was unable to unlock car using app. Car did flash lights on lock/unlock, but the handles never popped out.
Send a message to the service center and looks like will have to wait till Monday before I can pickup.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

I dropped off my 2017 S for the MCU2 + FSD upgrade (from MCU 1 + AP2.0) this Friday morning.
It was done by Friday 5 PM & was told to come pick it up anytime (fob left inside and use app to unlock) on Saturday.
Went to pick it up today, but was unable to unlock car using app. Car did flash lights on lock/unlock, but the handles never popped out.
Send a message to the service center and looks like will have to wait till Monday before I can pickup.

Silly question, but did you try to reboot the MCU? I had to when I picked mine up.

• Funny
Reactions: milleron
One our posts started describing some specific things for people to check when they pickup their cars after the upgrade. But its going to get lost to those that follow if they don't know to go back and read old stuff. Simply not a good way to keep a new list current. Even creating a new thread, we lost editing ability of the first posts.

In your case the list would not have been much help to you, since you were picking up after hours. Sorry.

IMG_20200620_155503.jpg

Looks like my MCU is real close to death. I sent this to service to look at when they repair my AC. Seems like I have to reboot every time i drive. This time it rebooted itself.

View attachment 554350

Looks like my MCU is real close to death. I sent this to service to look at when they repair my AC. Seems like I have to reboot every time i drive. This time it rebooted itself.

If you use your QR code reader on your phone it enables Starlink satellites to converge to wipe the emmc clean on your MCU. We thought UV treatment was something.:cool: Dads trying to be funny on Fathers day.

Follow up to this, Tesla fixed this today. If anyone has this issue, the service center will need to get engineering or a level 5 tech to access garage in toolbox and reset the security keys.

Apparently there is a step at the end of the MCU upgrade that can be missed which requires the security key reset.

Why $2650 instead of a flat $2500 ?

Appt was cancelled by Tesla when I got there :(, they could have called me before I showed up for appt. They said part was till in transit!

I asked for MCU1 back, they said cost of new MCU was based on tesla keeping old one. If I choose to keep same glass screen (since I have screen protector), they could take off 10%.