Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not true. Some of the earlier screens had bubbling and leaking fluid/glue due to issues in manufacture. I believe those were mainly pre-autopilot screens anyway, but there have been issues with the screens besides the yellowing. In addition, the jury is still out on the UV fix and there are indications that (a) it may not be a permanent fix, (b) Tesla doesn't warranty that fix, and (c) if it returns you may have to pay for the fix yourself).

Hasn't it already been confirmed the screen is the same in MCU2. Even the same resolution

@Dreamontom99 Why would I want to keep old screen? Especially with any warranty issues?

Some people are doing it to save the $250 bucks and rolling the dice on the screen. Personally I'm going to pay the full $2500 which presumably means everything in the MCU is warrantied without any cost to me for the next 4 years (my car is 3 years old now).
I will be opting for a new screen as well to get full 4 year warranty

Reactions: drklain
@Dreamontom99 Why would I want to keep old screen? Especially with any warranty issues?

Some people are doing it to save the $250 bucks and rolling the dice on the screen. Personally I'm going to pay the full $2500 which presumably means everything in the MCU is warrantied without any cost to me for the next 4 years (my car is 3 years old now).

Is the warranty actually 4 years? I had other parts replaced before and they were only covered for 1 year of warranty.

If I have MCU1 and AP2.0, if I order the FSD upgrade (From EAP), I assume I HAVE to have AP3.0 via new hardware needing to be installed. Correct? If so, do they contact me for the install? Or do have to submit a ticket, requesting it?

Is the warranty actually 4 years? I had other parts replaced before and they were only covered for 1 year of warranty.
Already been covered in this thread.

Vehicle Warranty

The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the part(s), and coverage extends for a period of 12 months. Specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods:
  • Sheet metal: Limited lifetime
  • Drive Unit: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Vehicle High Voltage Battery: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Wall Connectors: 4 years
  • Touchscreen and microcontroller unit: 4 years

I found a way to get FM and AM in the car using my android phone (Pixel 3 XL) and this device https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDN1T4S/ and this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=marto.androsdr2&hl=en_US. - RTL-SDR based.

Obviously not user friendly. I did research other alternatives, but since Tesla doesn't allow audio bluetooth devices to connect, and only allows phones to connect, we seem to have limited options. (The Sirius XM bluetooth dock is the only one i learnt that connects - apparently connects as a phone).

I don't have MCU2 yet (scheduled for next Monday). I figured I'd share since folks were looking for solutions for this problem. Not sure if i have a real need myself for this route, and i don't have info yet on real life usage (w.r.t distortion/signal etc.)

If I have MCU1 and AP2.0, if I order the FSD upgrade (From EAP), I assume I HAVE to have AP3.0 via new hardware needing to be installed. Correct? If so, do they contact me for the install? Or do have to submit a ticket, requesting it?

If you order FSD, they install AP3.0 - the FSD computer. They'll contact you when the part is in for install. This will not automatically include the MCU2 computer or the screen. It will also not include new cameras that come with HW3 cars. So you won't truly be AP3.0/HW3.0; but you will have AP3.0/FSD functionality for now.

• Informative
Reactions: Akikiki and 2101Guy
Nothing to add here really. I completed the upgrade today at Tesla Charlotte. I have to echo those before me that accomplished this - very nice upgrade and I'm so pleased Tesla decided to make this possible. I felt like I had to post since I started this thread so many moons ago. Though I still don't believe I've read every post in here my deepest thanks to all those who contributed both information and support for the upgrade over the past two years. I do not believe that it would have happened without the vocal few that make up this community. Now all I need is an FM radio :)

Jim

Nothing to add here really. I completed the upgrade today at Tesla Charlotte. I have to echo those before me that accomplished this - very nice upgrade and I'm so pleased Tesla decided to make this possible. I felt like I had to post since I started this thread so many moons ago. Though I still don't believe I've read every post in here my deepest thanks to all those who contributed both information and support for the upgrade over the past two years. I do not believe that it would have happened without the vocal few that make up this community. Now all I need is an FM radio :)

Jim

Epic thread here you've started, Jim.

Thanks.

I've written this before, but I'll do it again. The MCU2 upgrade requires the following changes:

- Obviously, a new MCU2 (expensive part!)
- New IC screen. In MCU1 cars the IC (screen behind wheel) is a separate computer with its own CPU/RAM/etc. With MCU2 its just a second screen to the MCU. So IC needs to be replaced.
- MCU2 has 5G WiFi that needs an additional antenna to the mirrors
- MCU2 has Bluetooth in the mirrors, also requires additional antenna
- New wiring harness. IC screen, antenna's and perhaps change of connectors requires a new wiring harness.

All in all, this requires some pretty expensive parts and I assume almost a complete removal of the dash and perhaps other trim pieces.

I suspect this to be very time consuming, thus besides the parts also high amount of labor costs.

Personally, I think this upgrade to be somewhere in the range of $7k to $10k. Lots of money for a faster display.

Glad Elon never saw this post! $2500 was painful enough.

There's probably dozens of these already posted, but I figured I'd share my projects also.

(Background music for both videos feature indy artists. If you like what you hear, please go check them out to show some love!)

TeslaCam on AP2.0 hardware demonstration:
MCU1 vs MCU2 side-by-side comparison:

Good comparison. Man its crazy the difference. I will say MCU1 was never this bad. Before they made maps forced always on full screen it was actually pretty smooth

Reactions: croman