Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could not connect to my MCU1 2015 via the Tesla app today. I went out to the garage and my WiFi and Bluetooth were not connected. I started the car and nothing improved. I went through an MCU reboot and it would not immediately come back up, it seemed to be trying to boot (ac and radio would kick on for a minute while the screen stayed black). I plugged in the charger, walked into the house for a few minutes, came back out and the MCU was running ok. Is this the start of it failing?

Yes. That's how mine started but it was continuous Bluetooth and wifi failure and then music and then all sounds and then black screen.

Of the people who have upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2, how has your repair quality been? My screen used to be flush with the top of the trim. Now, there’s a lot of BLACK screen showing (smaller on the right side and larger on the left side) with the metal trim somewhat wavy. Is MCU2 LARGER than MCU1, hence it needs more space? I’ve included two photos - my Model S after retrofit and my partners Model X (which came with MCU2) with the screen flush with the trim.

Curious if anyone else is experiencing this or if my service center did a crummy job putting my dash back together.

1A4C47AD-51CB-403B-B294-B51656BAD841.jpeg
DC8F9C9E-C7DE-49CA-B813-27C42750B17F.jpeg

Of the people who have upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2, how has your repair quality been? My screen used to be flush with the top of the trim. Now, there’s a lot of BLACK screen showing (smaller on the right side and larger on the left side) with the metal trim somewhat wavy. Is MCU2 LARGER than MCU1, hence it needs more space? I’ve included two photos - my Model S after retrofit and my partners Model X (which came with MCU2) with the screen flush with the trim.

Curious if anyone else is experiencing this or if my service center did a crummy job putting my dash back together.

View attachment 559447View attachment 559448

I got the upgrade last week, I noticed this on my car too. They actually somehow warped my upper trim so they are replacing it on the 8th, I'm hoping it will help with the issue.

BTW, nice username, OSU alum here! Go Beavs!

Good catch Mike. Very good info. I book marked it and downloaded the pdf from Wayback Machine. I could not find an effective date. But no one can set a warrant on something, then make it retroactive backwards to serve their purposes. This could impact a difference going forward from an effective date. We need the effective date. But being able to reference it from Wayback is an excellent back up. We know they can't just change it. Haha.

How did you find that they made this recent change?

Mike, I posted this info on TM S's forum. And credited you. Sorry if you didn't want that. Too late. You might need to move to another country. I will miss you, buddy.

Last edited:
Reactions: viper2ko
Any MCU1 -> MCU2 outside of the US?

Nope and the parts shortage in the US likely means other markets will not open up per the schedule posted on Tesla's site (unsurprising). I did overhear service center staff discussing Tesla opening up US to AP1 vehicles and how it will be popular and likely result in lots of demand.

I have to think Tesla makes significant money on the upgrade and therefore Elon will have motivation to fix the supply issues and begin worldwide installations as a pandemic-proof income stream.

Nope and the parts shortage in the US likely means other markets will not open up per the schedule posted on Tesla's site (unsurprising). I did overhear service center staff discussing Tesla opening up US to AP1 vehicles and how it will be popular and likely result in lots of demand.

Do we have any info on how soon ap1 will be available for the upgrade ?

Tesla removing 2 years of warranty on this is a real bummer.

I'm debating doing the upgrade now vs later.

I already have a ranger coming by to do the FSD upgrade. I really am not feeling dealing with Tesla service again. It seems like it's becoming a clustertruck again with some people not getting new screens.

Has anyone here done the FSD computer first, then the MCU2 after?