Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just set up an appointment to get my 2014 S85 upgraded. The parts are on backorder but they said that they can upgrade an AP1 car. I'm on the waiting list so we'll see if this actually happens.

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 2.27.09 PM.png

No, that requires the AP2.5 or AP3 computer. (You don't even get it with MCU2 and AP2.0.)
To be more specific, AP1 cars can never get dashcam or sentry because they lack the cameras. The only camera on AP1 systems is connected directly to a proprietary MobileEye chip, and the Tesla computers does not have access to the video feed.

I just tried to schedule the Infotainment upgrade in the app and got this response back:
"Also, the infotainment upgrade is available for purchase on the tesla website but you must use a lap top or desk top computer to log in and purchase it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your understanding."

Anybody heard this before? I can't find anywhere on the website to "purchase" the Infotainment upgrade.
ask them for the link lol

Getting a free HW3 upgrade with MCU 2 for my 2017 MCU1/AP2 car is pretty tempting.

Elon’s price games for FSD are a major turnoff. I already have EAP and I have limited confidence that Tesla will add anything useful to FSD in the short term. Am I correct that the traffic signal recognition is the only delta between 2017 EAP and current FSD? Can’t see myself using that at all.

Do my existing EAP features work better on the AP3 platform?

Getting a free HW3 upgrade with MCU 2 for my 2017 MCU1/AP2 car is pretty tempting.

Elon’s price games for FSD are a major turnoff. I already have EAP and I have limited confidence that Tesla will add anything useful to FSD in the short term. Am I correct that the traffic signal recognition is the only delta between 2017 EAP and current FSD? Can’t see myself using that at all.

Do my existing EAP features work better on the AP3 platform?

Why would you get a free hw3 upgrade. You still need to buy FSD

Why would you get a free hw3 upgrade. You still need to buy FSD

See post#5191. It appears you get HW3 with MCU2 regardless of whether you purchased FSD or not. I have EAP, not FSD. Lots of reason why this could be the case - cheaper to just make one variant of hardware assembly, the new definition of FSD includes many elements previously included in EAP - so updating current FSD features that are really old EAP entitlements could be messy. Dunno..

See post#5191. It appears you get HW3 with MCU2 regardless of whether you purchased FSD or not. I have EAP, not FSD. Lots of reason why this could be the case - cheaper to just make one variant of hardware assembly, the new definition of FSD includes many elements previously included in EAP - so updating current FSD features that are really old EAP entitlements could be messy. Dunno..

Well in that case. tesla tes you refund my 2k for FSD and I'll just stick with EAP. You can apply that 2k towards MCU2 upgrade

• Funny
Reactions: Trebek1762

not only do we still need confirmation on this, but we need to know what AP versions 'qualify'. Is it only going to be AP 1 and 2.0? Is 2.5 included too?

It’s definitely crazy to hear you say this. I noticed the difference immediately. I went to check my Autopilot settings, and when I tapped the car icon, the menu tabs popped up instantly. I had major lag on MCU1. And on MCU1 I didn’t even use the maps in the center screen because if I tried to zoom in or move them around they took forever to render. And adding theater mode, games, a working web browser, and 4 camera dash cam is icing on the cake.
Maybe I was lucky in that my MCU1 wasn’t that laggy, I never noticed any real issues other than maps loading pretty slow and the internet browser not working.

not only do we still need confirmation on this, but we need to know what AP versions 'qualify'. Is it only going to be AP 1 and 2.0? Is 2.5 included too?

Several people have already confirmed that they indeed received a HW3 upgrade with the MCU upgrade, even without purchasing FSD. So it’s certainly confirmed, at least for the kits they’re installing right now. The part number and description ordered for my upgrade clearly suggests this as well.

As for “what versions”, AP1 cars definitely not, as the system and sensor suite in those cars is fully incompatible with HW3. AP2 cars are a confirmed yes right now. I haven’t seen a post from someone with 2.5. 2.5 might be less likely as MCU2/AP2.5 was a validated and fully supported configuration straight from the factory.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Will AP1 get dashcam with mcu2 upgrade? Very interested in knowing which features will work in AP1.
How much did they charge? Was this replacing all the chrome trim across the dash? So does it essentially look like the newer cars now, with the darker trim? Very interested in this and might see if I can get added to my Infotainment upgrade scheduled this week.

Graphite Interior Finish Retrofit Index

Dash piece has to be wrapped or a new dash from what I have read. So I skipped that. $425 for all vents in front and bezel on MCU and IC. $87.50 was labor. Plan on doing more.

Several people have already confirmed that they indeed received a HW3 upgrade with the MCU upgrade, even without purchasing FSD. So it’s certainly confirmed, at least for the kits they’re installing right now. The part number and description ordered for my upgrade clearly suggests this as well.

That is correct. 2.0 MCU1 to 3.0 MCU2. Only with EAP.

Couple weeks later after install with much trial and tribulation my FSD was added by Tesla after showing them at that time of purchase the total price of car must have had FSD. Tesla couldn't account for why the extra $3k was there. That was fun digging. As original sale docs don't exist. Glad my title is clear.

Reactions: Bigriver

As for “what versions”, AP1 cars definitely not, as the system and sensor suite in those cars is fully incompatible with HW3. AP2 cars are a confirmed yes right now. I haven’t seen a post from someone with 2.5. 2.5 might be less likely as MCU2/AP2.5 was a validated and fully supported configuration straight from the factory.
I haven't yet seen anyone who actually had it done yet, only stating that it's what the SC invoice says. Maybe I missed it?