Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been told by Tesla Service that I need a new MCU. I can get an MCU1 for my $300 (Canadian) deductible, or for a new MCU2 for about $4000. I think I am getting fleeced in the MCU2 cost. Everyone here seems to say it is $2500 USd which converts to about $3375 Cad. I've only got an older 2013 without any autopilot, is it even worth it for an MCU2? Do I really need to play beach buggy & watch youtube??? Probably not for that kind of $ Are MCU1's that are refurbished expected to last any longer than the originals? The guy is coming tomorrow and I have to give him an answer, but not sure what to do. Any input appreciated.

I've been told by Tesla Service that I need a new MCU. I can get an MCU1 for my $300 (Canadian) deductible, or for a new MCU2 for about $4000. I think I am getting fleeced in the MCU2 cost. Everyone here seems to say it is $2500 USd which converts to about $3375 Cad. I've only got an older 2013 without any autopilot, is it even worth it for an MCU2? Do I really need to play beach buggy & watch youtube??? Probably not for that kind of $ Are MCU1's that are refurbished expected to last any longer than the originals? The guy is coming tomorrow and I have to give him an answer, but not sure what to do. Any input appreciated.
Does the $4000 price include GST/HST? The $2500 price in USD doesn't include any sales taxes. For me, the total ended up being $2681 USD.

Wow - for that price difference, I would be looking at what time span I'd be looking at keeping the car. I'd be looking to keep the MCU1. I know mine is about to kick it - so I am looking at serious cash in either case. They ordered the components for my 2015 AP1 today. Here's hoping the MCU keeps kicking for who knows how long the parts will take!

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Wow - for that price difference, I would be looking at what time span I'd be looking at keeping the car. I'd be looking to keep the MCU1. I know mine is about to kick it - so I am looking at serious cash in either case. They ordered the components for my 2015 AP1 today. Here's hoping the MCU keeps kicking for who knows how long the parts will take!
So, your AP1 can now get the upgrade to MCU2?
I thought these were not available yet.
Keep us posted on your progress.

The new MCU1 should last longer as they have lessened the logging but that really is just assuming Tesla doesn't resume bad practices. MCU2 has a much larger reserve of memory and therefore even abused will last longer in that regard.

Regardless mcu1 owners can preemptively upgrade the emmc with people like @EV-Fixme and that is much cheaper and decreases the performance delta between mcu1 and 2 for common tasks like navigation. Plus mcu1 has independent ic and am fm XM. Independent ic is a big loss that is largely ignored.

Those that say they don't need to restart mcu2, I haven't found that to be the case and the ic takes forever to come back.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
So, your AP1 can now get the upgrade to MCU2?
I thought these were not available yet.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Actually, I'm AP0. I got the car in early 2013 about 9 months before AP1 came out. I do have basic cruise control though! ;)

The new MCU1 should last longer as they have lessened the logging but that really is just assuming Tesla doesn't resume bad practices. MCU2 has a much larger reserve of memory and therefore even abused will last longer in that regard.

Regardless mcu1 owners can preemptively upgrade the emmc with people like @EV-Fixme and that is much cheaper and decreases the performance delta between mcu1 and 2 for common tasks like navigation. Plus mcu1 has independent ic and am fm XM. Independent ic is a big loss that is largely ignored.

Those that say they don't need to restart mcu2, I haven't found that to be the case and the ic takes forever to come back.

Good info, thanks!

Time for a Raven Model S :)

Ha ha! Tempting, but no. I've had this car so long now, I'll wait until my cybertruck order comes, should be within the 1st year of shipping for me.

I have about $7k in tesla credit, that will expire in about 5 months and I have no idea what to do with it, so I'm leaning towards the MCU2, but it just looks like I'm getting fleeced. Maybe I can insist on having them leave my old MCU1 for me to sell and/or get refurbished.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr
@Morristhecat if you want to keep your mcu1 they will change a core charge. Usd 1000.00. it's not worth that much. Be warned there is an issue with data theft once your mcu1 is pulled. You should try to delete as much as possible before either upgrade. Factory reset is only somewhat useful.

Erased data can still be recovered.... Our upgrade also holds the chip safely as I save up enough eMMC's to see if "eMMC's will blend" I have a feeling those chips will be really hard to recover data from.

I can't imagine anyone will have second thoughts. Maybe if they didn't ask their wife and they complain about the FM radio....

i'm scheduled for the upgrade later in the month - Not thrilled about losing FM radio but if I can get the equivalent of iheartradio or streaming somehow I'll be happy - that should be doable if not now with a later update i.e. if they support iheartradio etc. Anyone stream the FM stations from the LA area like KIIS FM or KBIG? I couldn't find them on Tune in.

My estimate is 2500 + tax which takes it to 2683 - yeah that's a crazy lot to spend on a 3.5 year old car. But the body style is still the same as the current S. And I do have some downtime for supercharging on my commute and I would love to have netflix built in rather than using the iPad and tethering the wifi tot the phone etc and I use netflix a lot. It works great in the 3 and I'm hoping it will be the same experience here. Not to mention the AP 3.0 upgrade for stop signs and signals as I have quite a few stop signs on my commute. So the estimate reads upgrade from AP 2.0 to 3.0 and infotainment MCU2 upgrade. Looking forward to it in a few weeks!

EDIT : does anyone know if USB teslacam will come with this upgrade? Seems like it should?

Last edited:
My cameras have been long since been calibrated and I have the same issue. Wondering how in the heck I can get stoplight control to function.
I actually haven't gotten around to finish calibrating the cameras, but I noticed a few hours after the maps finished installing that I could toggle on Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (although I have no idea why it wasn't available instantly after the maps finished updating).

I got the Infotainment upgrade today. Initial reaction is very positive. It is a lot of money, but my MCU1 was one that was flaky from the beginning. I regularly had the data connection cut out, turn signals stop clicking, no temp indication, the screen freeze up. Navigation updates took FOREVER, sometimes leaving me to guess my way through unfamiliar territory. My SSD for dash cam/sentry stopped working several updates ago, but instantly connected with MCU2.

The screen feels crisper. The speed of screen refreshes is great. I can now instantly toggle between avoid tolls or with tolls in the navigation options.The playback of the dash cam on the screen makes it truly helpful for the first time. I Like getting the rear view as part of the dash cam saves. I Like getting the live side camera view along with live rear camera.....and soon to come will allow those views to pop up with turn signal activation. Netflix and a rousing round of caraoke- probably won’t matter to me, but who knows?

it does make the car feel fresh. I look forward to getting whatever new features are in the pipeline, rather than often finding out that something doesn’t apply to me because I’m MCU1.

Anyone who had second thoughts after they upgraded their MCU? It seems quite a lot of money to me.
I waffled for a long time, finally scheduled the appointment a week ago. No regrets yet, but I haven’t paid yet either. ;)

This car is a long term investment for me and I’m expecting to have it for another four years at least, so I think it makes sense. My MCU1 is on its last legs and I suspect the functionality gap is going to widen at an accelerated pace now that there’s an upgrade path available. Worth it to me to breath another 4 years of life into the car.

If I was planning to get rid of it in a year or two, I think the equation changes. Though I think you could recoup some of your investment to the right buyer.

I got mine replaced with MCUv2 today and it was close to 4k with tax. Mine was out of warranty and the v1 for a 2015 85D with tech package was not that much cheaper with a much longer wait time. So I opted for the v2.