Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you're describing here is called "Absolute Volume" - a feature that couples phone (the source) and media unit (the sink) volume controls. If you have an Android phone, you can easily disable it and volume of the source and the sink will separate giving you functionality you used to, just search "Android Bluetooth disable absolute volume"
Yeah, this is a known "feature change" that was fixed in a recent update to go back to the much more reliable absolute volume. I sure hope this "feature change" is not a standard implementation when going from MCU1 --> MCU2.

No, I have MCU1+LH. I read in another thread a user who has an (original) MCU2+LH and there was a loud pop when powering up. He knows the guys at LH and they repaired the LH amp to minimize the popping sound, but I don't know if the problem was with his car specifically, or with any MCU2+LH amp combo. At this point, LH is not offering a refurb special for MCU2 owners.
Hopefully someone else here who has MCU1+LH amp and has completed the MCU2 upgrade can share results.

I suspect the popping issue will be similar for other owners given how it was described elsewhere, but I'm still hopeful. And given how unresponsive Light Harmonic is, I am not holding out much hope of any update path for the LH amp to be compatible with the MCU2.

• Informative
Reactions: HankLloydRight
I got mine replaced with MCUv2 today and it was close to 4k with tax. Mine was out of warranty and the v1 for a 2015 85D with tech package was not that much cheaper with a much longer wait time. So I opted for the v2.

You are definitely the first AP1 car with MCU2 that I have heard of. How do you like it so far? Since I have warranty I am going to opt to get my replaced with MCU1 for now, then I plan to go to MCU2 "when" it bricks after my warranty is over. Did they charge you for labor? Can you post your Service Report sheet please?

You are definitely the first AP1 car with MCU2 that I have heard of. How do you like it so far? Since I have warranty I am going to opt to get my replaced with MCU1 for now, then I plan to go to MCU2 "when" it bricks after my warranty is over. Did they charge you for labor? Can you post your Service Report sheet please?
As far as I’ve seen above, you can’t do that. If it’s toast, you need to get a new one first and then upgrade. So you’d be paying for a new MCU 1 and then the 2 upgrade. (Correct, right?)

I think you're the first one with AP1 that I've seen get the MCU2 upgrade completed. Congrats!

The first AP1 car upgraded to MCU2

The video (I believe) is of @RayCzar who lives in Canada. Three possibilities: 1. his car came with a digital radio out the gate (like the ones in Europe, but I don't believe that is the case in Canada) or 2. His upgrade because he was an AP1 car was a much bigger/to date nonstandard upgrade than what we are getting in the US and included replacing the analog with a digital radio. That also might account for the addtional cost he paid or 3. his upgrade included the tuner and was done by someone besides Tesla (but I think he had it done at a service center).

The video (I believe) is of @RayCzar who lives in Canada. Three possibilities: 1. his car came with a digital radio out the gate (like the ones in Europe, but I don't believe that is the case in Canada) or 2. His upgrade because he was an AP1 car was a much bigger/to date nonstandard upgrade than what we are getting in the US and included replacing the analog with a digital radio. That also might account for the addtional cost he paid or 3. his upgrade included the tuner and was done by someone besides Tesla (but I think he had it done at a service center).

I think the point @MIT_S60 was trying to make is the no car with MCU2 has ever had AM radio, Tesla dropped AM radio support a long time ago. So it doesn't seem possible. (The digital tuners are either FM or FM/XM.)

It won't take them 5 days. That just means they are backed up, your car will sit parked for four days and then they will do it on the last day. By way of reference, I had a 9 am appointment on a Thursday and got there at 8:40. I had been told might be "overnight". After I left, car was moved to a parking spot on side of service center (could track it in app). Car did not move again until....1130 MONDAY morning. Got a call that car was ready at 6 pm Monday night and couldn't make it there so I got it Tuesday morning. For whatever reason, Tesla has not built a service center system where appointments are based on capacity to complete work and adjusted as necessary to avoid the waste of having cars sit there for days on end. There is a cost to that (Uber credits/extended loaner cars) but no one at Tesla seems to think it is a big enough deal to address it. Had they called and said they are backed up, aren't taking in any more cars and to bring it in on Monday for same day service, I would have gladly adjusted my plans. Offices and service centers around the world manage this well, the fact Tesla still manages it badly reflects the lack of a leader/manager running the service centers worldwide to address the issue.

Fixing problems like this is what I do and I would gladly help fix it (or take over the organization and fix it if Tesla wants to hire me) but I haven't seen anyone at Tesla with the focus, authority and aptitude to address it since Jon McNeil left for Lyft, which is a shame because this is an eminently solvable problem and could actually save Tesla money while increasing customer satisfaction in the same fell swoop. It's literally a no-brainer to make fixing this a priority for any company, but especially one involved in the service/repair industry.

Anyone reading this out there have a better contact list than I have at Tesla? With Jon gone I've got nothing and I would gladly be part of the solution instead of just sitting on the outside complaining and unhappy about it.

Just brought my car into SF Tesla for the infotainment upgrade, I made my appointment about 3 weeks prior. Ive read a few cases where the SC took the entire day to do the job but my SC wants 5 days. Seems like a awfully long time ???
Yes that seems like a long time. I took mine in yesterday and I could see from Teslafi that they placed it into service mode at 12:42 pm. At 1:35 pm I got the text that it was ready for pick up. It was infotainment only. I had already gotten the HW2.5 to HW3.0 update, which had taken an overnight stay as they had a bit of trouble getting the software to load.

I also had a issue with my window not closing all the way and they recommended that I bring the car to another dealership for that service issue. I think im going to start scheduling at Burlingame Tesla from now on. :cool:

* Im a new owner, still learning the many intricacies of the Tesla system

The video was recorded by me in Ohio

I guess I wrote the caption wrong, I don't have AM, only FM. I did the tuner install myself, as well as MCU2 etc

BTW,
Just brought my car into SF Tesla for the infotainment upgrade, I made my appointment about 3 weeks prior. Ive read a few cases where the SC took the entire day to do the job but my SC wants 5 days. Seems like a awfully long time ???
No, it can be done in a matter of a few hours at most. Mine was done in a day with 3 other warranty concerns addressed at the same time.

Also, please everyone check the installation thoroughly before you leave the service center. There are useful checklists posted elsewhere (opening doors and trunk/frunk with the app and pushing all buttons, there are two ;)). I failed to check my hazard lights button until a couple of days later to find it was non-functional. Luckily a simple 5-minute disassembly of some trim pieces to find the wire unplugged from the switch. You would think there would be a quick post-installation checklist that Tesla would perform before giving you your car. I guess that's too much to ask for when you only pay $2500.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I have a 2017 Model S with AP2.5. Made an appointment 2 weeks ago to have the MCU2 upgrade installed today. Got a text message from Tesla yesterday saying they have to cancel the appointment and order the part and will reschedule once it arrives (why don’t they order parts when the appointment is made?). The text message also quoted $2,500 plus tax for the upgrade.

I received an email from Tesla a couple hours later indicating that parts had been ordered, and unfortunately the part is:

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5 - WITHOUT DISPLAY - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874561-00-B

The upgrade WITHOUT the display that (from reading other updates here) they recently have been pushing onto people but is clearly not what people are expecting when they make the appointment. And I didn’t even get offered the $250 discount that others have mentioned.

This is the Chicago service center, and there’s no way to contact them to get the part changed to the upgrade with display. Text responses are never answered, neither are emails to the old address that I used to use, and phone calls all go to a machine. It’s crazy how much the service experience has changed in the 3 years since I bought the car.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911