Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model S with AP2.5. Made an appointment 2 weeks ago to have the MCU2 upgrade installed today. Got a text message from Tesla yesterday saying they have to cancel the appointment and order the part and will reschedule once it arrives (why don’t they order parts when the appointment is made?). The text message also quoted $2,500 plus tax for the upgrade.

I received an email from Tesla a couple hours later indicating that parts had been ordered, and unfortunately the part is:

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5 - WITHOUT DISPLAY - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874561-00-B

The upgrade WITHOUT the display that (from reading other updates here) they recently have been pushing onto people but is clearly not what people are expecting when they make the appointment. And I didn’t even get offered the $250 discount that others have mentioned.

This is the Chicago service center, and there’s no way to contact them to get the part changed to the upgrade with display. Text responses are never answered, neither are emails to the old address that I used to use, and phone calls all go to a machine. It’s crazy how much the service experience has changed in the 3 years since I bought the car.
Tell those mothertruckers the price is wrong!

The infotainment screen died last week in my 2016 Model S AP1, and when I took it in for service in Palo Alto I told my service advisor that I wanted to upgrade to MCU2 since it was only a few hundred $$ more. He replied saying that he wasn't sure if my car was compatible, but he would find out and he would call me to let me know before they get started working on the car. I got a text and a message on the app yesterday letting me know my car was ready, and when I showed up to pick up my car I found out they replaced the MCU1 with another MCU1. My service advisor said I could either pay the invoice, take the car, and when MCU2 was available they would schedule another appointment and I would just pay the difference, or I could leave the car until they got the part, which would be mid to late August. I chose their first option but I told him I wanted it in writing and he agreed, he said he would email me the receipt with the notes stating that I would come back to get MCU2 and just pay $2,500 minus what I paid yesterday, and he would also let his supervisor know. It's been only one day since the agreement and I still haven't got a receipt in my email, should I be worried that they might go back on their word?
**Apologies for my English, I'm still learning

Congrats -- was your MCU1 dying or are the games/netflix compelling enough to shell out the $2500?
It was working perfectly and had a flawless screen but I just wanted the speed. I had planned to upgrade to LTE so that's done now. I also just performed all of the TPMS 2 labor so it was a perfect time to have them switch it in the software. I used those three issues to justify the $2693.75 expense.

This is the Chicago service center, and there’s no way to contact them to get the part changed to the upgrade with display. Text responses are never answered, neither are emails to the old address that I used to use, and phone calls all go to a machine. It’s crazy how much the service experience has changed in the 3 years since I bought the car.
I believe they are trying to steer all communications via the app. One of the emails I got recently said this:
230FFCA5-042E-408F-A0BD-0C16E93EE2A2.jpeg

The infotainment screen died last week in my 2016 Model S AP1, and when I took it in for service in Palo Alto I told my service advisor that I wanted to upgrade to MCU2 since it was only a few hundred $$ more. He replied saying that he wasn't sure if my car was compatible, but he would find out and he would call me to let me know before they get started working on the car. I got a text and a message on the app yesterday letting me know my car was ready, and when I showed up to pick up my car I found out they replaced the MCU1 with another MCU1. My service advisor said I could either pay the invoice, take the car, and when MCU2 was available they would schedule another appointment and I would just pay the difference, or I could leave the car until they got the part, which would be mid to late August. I chose their first option but I told him I wanted it in writing and he agreed, he said he would email me the receipt with the notes stating that I would come back to get MCU2 and just pay $2,500 minus what I paid yesterday, and he would also let his supervisor know. It's been only one day since the agreement and I still haven't got a receipt in my email, should I be worried that they might go back on their word?
**Apologies for my English, I'm still learning

Yes. They are going to screw you lol

Hi, I noticed you are in Laguna Niguel... I'm also in OC and in need of AP1 to MCU2 (for sure), and AP0 to MCU2 (possibly). May I ask, what service center did you use? Thanks!

Lake Forest. Mine was scheduled for 8/31 when I set it a week ago. The next day I went in the app to try to reschedule and 8/4 became available. A day later I tried again and 7/14 showed up. Just keep checking and you may be able to expedite your service.

I have a 2017 Model S with AP2.5. Made an appointment 2 weeks ago to have the MCU2 upgrade installed today. Got a text message from Tesla yesterday saying they have to cancel the appointment and order the part and will reschedule once it arrives (why don’t they order parts when the appointment is made?). The text message also quoted $2,500 plus tax for the upgrade.

I received an email from Tesla a couple hours later indicating that parts had been ordered, and unfortunately the part is:

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5 - WITHOUT DISPLAY - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874561-00-B

The upgrade WITHOUT the display that (from reading other updates here) they recently have been pushing onto people but is clearly not what people are expecting when they make the appointment. And I didn’t even get offered the $250 discount that others have mentioned.

My quote and invoice had the same -B part but they ordered the display separately and it showed up as a no charge item. So they might still be approaching your install in good faith and might be just ordering the display as a separate part.

• Informative
Reactions: krtrice
Has anybody in the Los Angeles area successfully gotten the MCU2/AP3 upgrade? Ive tried 4 times to get the upgrades from Tesla Van Nuys now and each time I got a different response about how it's not available. They're making it impossible to schedule.

I scheduled through the app in late June and requested Burbank. They ordered parts and scheduled me for August 22nd. A couple weeks ago I went into the app and moved the date up to next week. Haven't heard confirmation of the new date but so far everything seems on track. I chose the option of Accessories > Upgrades & installations

Reactions: Beswick and blodg1
I scheduled through the app in late June and requested Burbank. They ordered parts and scheduled me for August 22nd. A couple weeks ago I went into the app and moved the date up to next week. Haven't heard confirmation of the new date but so far everything seems on track. I chose the option of Accessories > Upgrades & installations
Not a huge savings but it is $50 cheaper in OC due to lower sales tax and you may find better availability. They gave me $700 for Uber which I never used.

To update, I'm scheduled to have MCU2 installed on my AP0 car on the 31st. It was supposed to happen yesterday but the parts for MCU2 take a few more days to get here. Total is $3510 CAD, deductible of $300 was already paid while they were diagnosing. I'm fortunate that I have some Tesla credit to completely cover the costs, otherwise I would have just gone for the refurbished MCU1 at no additional cost. In the meantime I have to keep resetting the touchscreen for another week and a bit while my MCU1 is on it's last legs....