Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@captjoemcd, If it eases your mind, SC likely would not do it. Right or wrong, make sense or not, they have policies against doing mods that disrupt or change the car's configuration. They don't want to deal with changes to the cars. That's the reason that they would not activate my digital tuner - even though later in same year cars have digital tuner and active radio in the configuration.

Fair point, I guess we won't know until people start asking for it :)

@boaterva, if I were to guess, based on my years doing auto and IT work? We don't read the documentation or instructions until it fails to work 4-5 times. Why would these humans be different? I think if I were in their shoes, I'd find myself doing the same thing, if this is accurate.
Hah. Perhaps so, but based on *my* years in IT, when faced with a brand new piece of hardware/process, someone reads the doc. :D Especially when it doesn’t work the first time. Very weird they give up and put back a MCU 1, for example, no?

Reactions: Akikiki
Ok folks, my MCU died this week on my 2015 MS. I just got word from Tesla it's a 1-2 month wait for a rebuilt MCU1 or I can pay $2500 for a new MCU2. The car is still under Tesla's 4 year CPO warranty.

Has anyone gotten a new MCU2 for less than $2500 when the original MCU1 died under warranty?

Thanks in advance.

I got this from SC in costa mesa

The infotainment upgrade is a Customer pay item, upgrades are not covered under the Pre-owned Vehicle warranty

Im on the same boat. If anyone know this is true please let me know. Kinda disappointed as i had the car for about a yr. 2016 pre-face

Thanks for the update. Sometimes being on the "bleeding edge" of technology can be painful. I'm hoping Tesla's Costa Mesa Service Center gets this figured out soon so I can upgrade my 2015 P85D+ frequently sluggish MCU1 to a MCU2 before my MCU 1 dies (which would be covered under my 4-year Tesla Extended Service Agreement Extended Service Agreement (less my $200 deductible of course).

Did you have to pay for anything to get that updated?

This is what SC in costa mesa is telling me:
The infotainment upgrade is a Customer pay item, upgrades are not covered under the Pre-owned Vehicle warranty

Did you have to pay for anything to get that updated?

This is what SC in costa mesa is telling me:

I have NOT gotten my MCU1 updated to MCU2 because my MCU1 is still working... and the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrades sound like they're not ready for "prime time" based on the issues we've seen on this forum.

Sure it's great to hear the P100D customers who claim their MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade was quick and painless... But the several years newer P100D sure seems like it would be an easier retrofit IMHO.

I managed to speak with a service advisor over text and of course he said no MCU2 available, as well as no ETA for new ones.

If someone does get an MCU2, please post in this thread.

Not sure if my MCU1 is nearing the end of the line, but besides general slowness I haven't seen over 1 bar signal in a while.

I received a new MCU2 at SC in San Francisco last Thursday, they had no problems getting the part and service appointment took a couple weeks to schedule.

So, someone said earlier in this thread that you can schedule the mcu1 to mcu2 upgrade by going to the Tesla app. I’ve gone to the app and remain a little confused. Is there a specific subject title one needs to choose? Is it a separate subtitle selection (I couldn’t find one). Do I choose accessories and then upgrades and describe what I want to do? For those that have scheduled the upgrade through the app I’d appreciate the knowledge of the process. Thank you.

So, someone said earlier in this thread that you can schedule the mcu1 to mcu2 upgrade by going to the Tesla app. I’ve gone to the app and remain a little confused. Is there a specific subject title one needs to choose? Is it a separate subtitle selection (I couldn’t find one). Do I choose accessories and then upgrades and describe what I want to do? For those that have scheduled the upgrade through the app I’d appreciate the knowledge of the process. Thank you.
I am pretty sure that I filed it under interior->touchscreen in the service section of the app.

Just upgraded AP2 to AP3 and MCU1 to MCU2.(refresh model S 2016) Made appointment 4 weeks out. Parts came in then swap took one and 1/2 days to complete. It was done in the Paramus Service center. I had the MCU2 swap but kept my old display(save a little money and old display looked great). Could not be more happy with MCU2. All the great features previously noted by others. Also now you can actually pinch and zoom the nav maps as needed with driving and volume scroll wheel works without delay which was really irritating when trying to turn down music fast. Also my premium sound system sounds much better although technically not sure why that is..
A++++ worth every penny.