Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: merged from a different thread.

Hi everyone!

My 2015 Model S P85DL just had the inevitable EMMC chip failure in the MCU1, which was confirmed by Tesla. I now have a loaner as they wait for the new part (9874564-00-B). After doing some reading, it seems like I actually want a different part (9874564-00-A) that includes a replacement touchscreen for marginally more money, so I'm following up with service on that tomorrow. In a sense I guess I'm "lucky" that by MCU EMMC failed after a MCU2 retrofit finally became avialable haha!

Anyways, I've seen a lot of added benefits of MCU2 listed online, but are some of the added benefits dependent on other hardware/software in your car? For example, does Sentry Mode require a specific version of AutoPilot software or hardware?

My car is a 2015 and I think it has the ability of AP1 (but Autopilot isn't enabled), has no side cameras, and it was manufactured just after LTE became available (i.e. it has LTE already). I'd be interested if there's a chart or something telling you what new benefits you will realize from the MCU2 upgrade broken down by car configuration if such a thing exists :)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The interface will be a lot faster, you’ll have a web browser, and you’ll lose the radio. It doesn’t really have much to do with autopilot.
That said, I doubt they would offer you MCU2 if you hadn’t already been invited. I’ve got a 2017 model S with MCU1 and AP2.5, supposed to be one of the first to get offered MCU2. I’ve got a messed up screen for months and the service center won’t give me MCU2 until I get the corporate invite. It’s a big pain, and I’m still waiting.

Reactions: boaterva
Model S & X prior to March of 2018 were MCU1. Model 3 was MCU2 from the get-go. Does anyone have a ballpark figure as to how many MCU1 cars were made prior to the release of MCU2?

Have they started doing the upgrades outside of North America yet?

/edit. Did some basic math, and the number of MCU1 S/X is approximately 325,000. Now I wonder what the take rate is for the MCU2 upgrade. Even at a conservative 20% that's still over 60,000 upgrades to be done. No small feat.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: kevinf311
The interface will be a lot faster, you’ll have a web browser, and you’ll lose the radio. It doesn’t really have much to do with autopilot.
That said, I doubt they would offer you MCU2 if you hadn’t already been invited. I’ve got a 2017 model S with MCU1 and AP2.5, supposed to be one of the first to get offered MCU2. I’ve got a messed up screen for months and the service center won’t give me MCU2 until I get the corporate invite. It’s a big pain, and I’m still waiting.
It might be your SC. Mine died the other day and I requested the new version. They placed the order. 2015 AP1

One of the first what? At your SC? Mine was done four months ago (see sig). identical config as yours.

Are they still saying that you need the 'individual email'? The Tesla webpage I posted above (Infotainment Upgrade) clearly states if your config is on the list there, all you need to do is make an appointment.

"How do I purchase the Infotainment Upgrade?
If your vehicle configuration is listed in the table below as 'Scheduling Now,' you can schedule an appointment through the Tesla app for purchase and installation."

• Helpful
Reactions: ucmndd and croman
Are they still saying that you need the 'individual email'? The Tesla webpage I posted above (Infotainment Upgrade) clearly states if your config is on the list there, all you need to do is make an appointment.

Has anyone actually gotten a personal invite email from Tesla to schedule this? I just assumed that whole thing was Tesla quackery to get people to buzz off for a bit.

Based on my own experience and that of others, I’d absolutely not wait until a magic email maybe shows up before you try to schedule.

Has anyone actually gotten a personal invite email from Tesla to schedule this? I just assumed that whole thing was Tesla quackery to get people to buzz off for a bit.

Based on my own experience and that of others, I’d absolutely not wait until a magic email maybe shows up before you try to schedule.
I always thought it was more miscommunication with/from the SC's, but I've not memorized every post here.. :D

We did (some of us) get a *general* email saying we could order, but that was, as always, way after. I think I got that a month after the original announcement. It was like the standard PR emails that are weeks after all of us TMC people know of something, after Teslarati and everyone has the story, etc. In no way was it an individualized email (it had a link to the Infotainment webpage, is all).

And *that* may have been what confused the SC's, but it's irrelevant. They should be making appointments based on categories (2.5, now 2.0, who knows what else) and availability of hardware.

So my service appointment also ordered MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5 - WITHOUT DISPLAY - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874561-00-B after I told them I wanted a new screen.

That being said, is there any benefit to the screen from the "A" kit? Does it actually affect performance or look better in any way?

Thanks

My SC ordered the "A" kit with the screen. They didn't give me the option of ordering without the screen.

Guess it'll be a while before I actually get this...

YMMV but after requesting they change mine to the part # with the new screen it only took about 2 weeks before the service center had it ready to install. Requested on July 2nd and installed on July 15th.

• Informative
Reactions: Cheburashka

Have you tried scheduling yourself for the MCU2 upgrade through your App ??? I believe that they have stopped sending out email invitations. Your car is eligible for a Infotainment upgrade.

Just had my 12/2016 Model S upgraded to MCU2 and FSD. Has anyone had an issue with the 5GHz wifi not working? Searching didn't provide any results. 2.4GHz works just fine. The car is going back to the SC next week if I can't find a solution. I tried all resets to no avail.

I got an email two months ago, and my neighbor got an email last month. Neither one of us was in a hurry to upgrade, so we just waited for the email. It's wasn't the general email. It was a specific email to schedule and get it done if wanted.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
So my service appointment also ordered MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5 - WITHOUT DISPLAY - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874561-00-B after I told them I wanted a new screen.

That being said, is there any benefit to the screen from the "A" kit? Does it actually affect performance or look better in any way?

Thanks

For clarity, I'm located in Ontario Canada. I'm a little confused about the part number -- from everything I've read online, it sounds like you need "9874564-00-A" to get a replacement touchscreen, where as "9874564-00-B" only replaces the computer (i.e. no new touchscreen). When I was at Tesla for diagnosis, I was presented with two options for the MCU repair. The MCU2 upgrade listed "9874564-00-B" and had no mention of a replacement screen.

Tesla Service (Pre-Estimate) v1.png

While I was still at Tesla, I decided to proceed with the MCU2 upgrade. The Service rep created a new Service Agreement with the MCU2 upgrade only and I accepted it digitally. I didn't realize that accepting the agreement means that I can no longer view the PDF digitially! Anyways, suspecting that they ordered "9874564-00-B" based on the original options they presented, I called the Service Centre to confirm that I'd like the touchscnreen replaced at the same time (even if it costs extra). They said that my upgrade already includes a new touchscreen, but I'm skeptical because of the "B" part number. I asked them if they could resend me a copy of the Service Agreement and I also asked if they could add a note about the screen replacement -- this is what I got (and I've added red boxes):

Tesla Service v1.png

So my Service Agreement shows "9874564-00-B"; however, in the "Concern" section (which is likely freeform text) is says "MCU Replacement including touchscreen replacement". I'm still a little skeptical -- I see it playing out in a few possible ways:
  • 9874564-00-B actually includes a touchscreen like they say (maybe unique to Canada?)
  • They already have some extra touchscreens in the shop that they use (so they only need to order the "B" part)
  • They still don't realize that they ordered the wrong part (and probably won't realize until it arrives)
  • They want me to just think that I'm getting a new screen, when they have no intention of replacing it (I hope this isn't the case!)
I guess I should just let it go and see what happens? In the worst-case scenario, they can get me up-and-running with a new MCU board and then replace the screen later? Is there any way to confirm that the screen was replaced? Unfortunately I didn't mark it in any way or take a picture to see what it looked like (i.e. microscratches in the surface).

Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I agree with Mike. We are finally seeing Tesla offer MCU2's to people with failed MCU1 - REGARDLESS of YEAR of car. Yes, they are offering MCU2 to AP1 and Pre-AP that have failed MCU1's. Sounds like a great idea considering shortages of MCU1.

Anyone with failed MCU1 might want to consider MCU2's. There's been a shortage of re-manufactured MCU1s for about two months now.
I just my predictions, but now that we are seeing more MCU2's available. Think about it, every MCU2 installed frees up another MCU1 core that goes back for re-manufacture. Its still going to take a couple of months before we see the MCU1 re-manufactured stock catch up to the backlog. Maybe two months or more.
Unfortuately not all AP1 cars... my buddy's can't get his SC to do it for his failed 2016 AP1 75D.

So my Service Agreement shows "9874564-00-B"; however, in the "Concern" section (which is likely freeform text) is says "MCU Replacement including touchscreen replacement". I'm still a little skeptical -- I see it playing out in a few possible ways:
  • 9874564-00-B actually includes a touchscreen like they say (maybe unique to Canada?)
  • They already have some extra touchscreens in the shop that they use (so they only need to order the "B" part)
  • They still don't realize that they ordered the wrong part (and probably won't realize until it arrives)
  • They want me to just think that I'm getting a new screen, when they have no intention of replacing it (I hope this isn't the case!)
I guess I should just let it go and see what happens? In the worst-case scenario, they can get me up-and-running with a new MCU board and then replace the screen later? Is there any way to confirm that the screen was replaced? Unfortunately I didn't mark it in any way or take a picture to see what it looked like (i.e. microscratches in the surface).

You should contact them and point them to their own site, which says: "This upgrade is available for $3,510 plus applicable tax, including installation, so you shouldn't be paying for labor or the extra bits as part of the upgrade.