Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 P85D (ap1), scheduled to get MCU2 with new screen or screens in the morning. Pumped!

So how did your infotainment upgrade work out? How long did it take? Did it make a great deal of difference? Would love to hear details as I am hoping to get this done soon. What Dallas area service center did the work? Congrats man!

Reactions: Akikiki
So my service appointment also ordered MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5 - WITHOUT DISPLAY - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874561-00-B after I told them I wanted a new screen.

That being said, is there any benefit to the screen from the "A" kit? Does it actually affect performance or look better in any way?

Thanks

For clarity, I'm located in Ontario Canada. I'm a little confused about the part number -- from everything I've read online, it sounds like you need "9874564-00-A" to get a replacement touchscreen, where as "9874564-00-B" only replaces the computer (i.e. no new touchscreen). When I was at Tesla for diagnosis, I was presented with two options for the MCU repair. The MCU2 upgrade listed "9874564-00-B" and had no mention of a replacement screen.

View attachment 569494

While I was still at Tesla, I decided to proceed with the MCU2 upgrade. The Service rep created a new Service Agreement with the MCU2 upgrade only and I accepted it digitally. I didn't realize that accepting the agreement means that I can no longer view the PDF digitially! Anyways, suspecting that they ordered "9874564-00-B" based on the original options they presented, I called the Service Centre to confirm that I'd like the touchscnreen replaced at the same time (even if it costs extra). They said that my upgrade already includes a new touchscreen, but I'm skeptical because of the "B" part number. I asked them if they could resend me a copy of the Service Agreement and I also asked if they could add a note about the screen replacement -- this is what I got (and I've added red boxes):

View attachment 569489

So my Service Agreement shows "9874564-00-B"; however, in the "Concern" section (which is likely freeform text) is says "MCU Replacement including touchscreen replacement". I'm still a little skeptical -- I see it playing out in a few possible ways:
  • 9874564-00-B actually includes a touchscreen like they say (maybe unique to Canada?)
  • They already have some extra touchscreens in the shop that they use (so they only need to order the "B" part)
  • They still don't realize that they ordered the wrong part (and probably won't realize until it arrives)
  • They want me to just think that I'm getting a new screen, when they have no intention of replacing it (I hope this isn't the case!)
I guess I should just let it go and see what happens? In the worst-case scenario, they can get me up-and-running with a new MCU board and then replace the screen later? Is there any way to confirm that the screen was replaced? Unfortunately I didn't mark it in any way or take a picture to see what it looked like (i.e. microscratches in the surface).

Thanks!
My service center ordered the "B" part number, but at the time of service, they also installed a new screen with a separate part number. There was terrible communication before this, which is the detriment of Tesla's service. In the end, everything was done correctly.

upload_2020-7-27_11-37-14.png

You should contact them and point them to their own site, which says: "This upgrade is available for $3,510 plus applicable tax, including installation, so you shouldn't be paying for labor or the extra bits as part of the upgrade.

Oh, that's odd! I wonder if they are billing me for the diagnostic in this Sevice Agreement? The Service rep told me that has wasn't charging me for the diagnositic (even though the car was in the shop about 1.5 hours with the black screen). The Service Rep also said that the cost of the MCU2 upgrade depends on the hardware that you have if your car (whcih contradicts the website). Mayeb the price on the website is just a generalization?

My service center ordered the "B" part number, but at the time of service, they also installed a new screen with a separate part number. There was terrible communication before this, which is the detriment of Tesla's service. In the end, everything was done correctly.

View attachment 569513

Thanks for sharing your experience :) I'm sure that everything will be OK in the end, but I don't want to forgo a screen replacement if it's only an additional $250. At least it's written in the Service Agreement now and I'll deal with it later if I find the screen isn't replaced (if there's a way to confirm that). Thanks!

Oh, that's odd! I wonder if they are billing me for the diagnostic in this Sevice Agreement? The Service rep told me that has wasn't charging me for the diagnositic (even though the car was in the shop about 1.5 hours with the black screen). The Service Rep also said that the cost of the MCU2 upgrade depends on the hardware that you have if your car (whcih contradicts the website). Mayeb the price on the website is just a generalization?

A couple of months ago we saw an owner report his SC charged him a labor fee for installation. Even while he was pointing out the Tesla page said includes installation. I shared with him my paid invoice. His SC manager would not budge. The owner contacted the SC Manager's boss who set the manager straight. So, if you are being charged, asked for contact info for the SC regional manager and help yourself and those that come after you. Insist that they follow their own rules.

Oh, that's odd! I wonder if they are billing me for the diagnostic in this Sevice Agreement? ...

Hey @VifferFun. It looks like you're upgrading from an AP1 car? Mine is AP2.5 and the part number on mine is 9874561-00-B. They're quoting my upgrade at $3160 CAD minus a $316 discount (I'm guessing 10% for no screen replacement), plus an additional $175 for "Correction: Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.5 To Intel MCU Without New Touchscreen And Autopilot 3.0 (Model S)." Not sure if this is a labour charge or a difference in price based on a correction of a different upgrade path based on which hardware setup my car has. Maybe there's no $175 charge if my car had a different AP version?

When are you getting your service done? I hope you'll post here with your experience. Mine's coming up in a bit over a week. Best of luck with your upgrade!

• Informative
Reactions: T3SLA90D
Hey @VifferFun. It looks like you're upgrading from an AP1 car? Mine is AP2.5 and the part number on mine is 9874561-00-B. They're quoting my upgrade at $3160 CAD minus a $316 discount (I'm guessing 10% for no screen replacement), plus an additional $175 for "Correction: Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.5 To Intel MCU Without New Touchscreen And Autopilot 3.0 (Model S)." Not sure if this is a labour charge or a difference in price based on a correction of a different upgrade path based on which hardware setup my car has. Maybe there's no $175 charge if my car had a different AP version?

When are you getting your service done? I hope you'll post here with your experience. Mine's coming up in a bit over a week. Best of luck with your upgrade!
Wow! Another Tesla "clarification" - this only consts "$3160+tax, parts and labour included". Problem? Oh, we never said "correction" was included, did we? How long before they start charging for rustproofing (for all aluminum parts of Model S), and such...

Reactions: bollar
I didn't realize that accepting the agreement means that I can no longer view the PDF digitially!

You can still see them after accepting them, although it is pretty not obvious. Sign into adobe sign with your Tesla account email (may need to register but it’s free) and you’ll see the whole history of invoices/quotes
upload_2020-7-27_20-19-31.png

Each SC is different but my experience with Tesla is the service department isn't a major revenue stream like some other car companies. BMW charges hourly rate for everything and would never have a line item that says "Goodwill".
Sure I wish Tesla was more DIY friendly with buying/installing/Modifying parts and software. but I understand why Tesla wants to try and limit the number of permutations of their cars.

Annotation 2020-07-28 080104.jpg

Reactions: blodg1
I put my request in last night for my 2015 AP1 MS, received a text asking which MCU2 I wanted (with or without screen). I opted for a new screen. I haven’t had any yellowing (less concerned about that) or leaking (mostly concerned that this could develop).

Here’s hoping my current MCU can hold out for a month or 2!

15 Days after I put my request in for my MCU2 upgrade, my parts arrived - today. I scheduled the upgrade for thursday next week. It seems that the backlog is getting better!

Each SC is different but my experience with Tesla is the service department isn't a major revenue stream like some other car companies. BMW charges hourly rate for everything and would never have a line item that says "Goodwill".
Sure I wish Tesla was more DIY friendly with buying/installing/Modifying parts and software. but I understand why Tesla wants to try and limit the number of permutations of their cars.

View attachment 569831

That invoice doesn't make sense. That's not what uncorking is.

Also, can't you change the wheel avatar from the menu yourself?

15 Days after I put my request in for my MCU2 upgrade, my parts arrived - today. I scheduled the upgrade for thursday next week. It seems that the backlog is getting better!

Wait - Let's say that a little louder so others interested don't miss it. Okay?

@Amacharola said,
I put my request in last night for my 2015 AP1 MS, received a text asking which MCU2 I wanted (with or without screen).
Today, @Amacharola said,
15 Days after I put my request in for my MCU2 upgrade, my parts arrived - today. I scheduled the upgrade for Thursday next week.

Congratulations. We would like to hear what you think after its installed and you get to drive it.