Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
I just spoke to tesla service in Mississauga, ON and they are saying the AP2.5 upgrade to MCU kit does NOT include the IC2 upgrade. Is that correct? I kept insisting that I have been reading that the IC also gets upgraded, but the service rep kept claiming that is only the case if you have a pre-AP MCU1/AP1 MCU car. Is that right?
Thanks
V
The IC is upgraded/replaced when the MCU2 is installed. For MCU2, the IC is just a second screen. For MCU1, it was a separate computer.

Hey guys,
I just spoke to tesla service in Mississauga, ON and they are saying the AP2.5 upgrade to MCU kit does NOT include the IC2 upgrade. Is that correct? I kept insisting that I have been reading that the IC also gets upgraded, but the service rep kept claiming that is only the case if you have a pre-AP MCU1/AP1 MCU car. Is that right?
Thanks
V
That is correct. MCU2 will handle all processing of the IC but no need to replace the already higher res AP1+ IC display.

<Moderator Note: @blodg1 has noted that they were mistaken here, please ignore. I don't want to remove since it's quoted in responses below>

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been looking to find the service invoice of someone with an AP2.5 car upgraded with a MCU2 AP3 hardware kit along with the screen replacement and IC2. Could someone please share that? I found a code here and the service rep said that is only the MCU itself.

Reactions: blodg1
My car was MCU2 upgraded. IC replaced with IC2 during upgrade. AP2 car, did not upgrade to 2.5 or 3.
Sorry, I didn't state that clearly. All AP2/AP2.5 cars which get the MCU2 upgrade should have the IC replaced, whether or not they have the upgrade to AP3 done. I thought all MCU2 upgrades included replacing the IC. :confused:

Interesting. Is there an IC part number listed on your invoice?

I've been looking to find the service invoice of someone with an AP2.5 car upgraded with a MCU2 AP3 hardware kit along with the screen replacement and IC2. Could someone please share that? I found a code here and the service rep said that is only the MCU itself.

The upgrade kit is a single part number that includes all required components - MCU, IC, and AP computer if necessary.

• Informative
Reactions: blodg1
- Likewise am I hearing that MCU1->2 will come with the AP2->3 H/w installed - so just a matter of paying for FSD to get the features enabled if you didn't at purchase?

Specifically, I have read this about owners upgrading from a failing MCU1 to MCU2, that have EAP and HW2.5 . They state they received HW3 upgrade with the MCU2 upgrade without FSD purchase. They get visulalizations but not stop/start functionality at traffic light and stop signs. MCU upgrade priority is with failing MCU1 owners and/or FSD owners, so it's not common enough to see trends. It may be tied to EAP as those features are FSD features. I'm also curious about existing MCU2 HW2.5 owners with EAP , or MCU1 and HW2.0 owners with EAP. Owners without EAP or FSD wouldnt require HW3.

The upgrade kit is a single part number that includes all required components - MCU, IC, and AP computer if necessary.
Thats what I thought too.. Is this the correct code for the kit with the IC2? Would someone have a service invoice (without blacked out personal details) that I can share to ensure they are doing exactly what I am expecting?

From this thread:

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5 - NORTH AMERICA
Part #:9874561-00-A

From the Honolulu tesla upgrade thread:

Two part numbers are shown on my invoice.
1582613-00-A MCU Upgrade - Qty 1.0 Price $ 2,500.00 Customer Pay $ 2,500.00

Additional items for upgrade (MCU2 + HW3 package)
Performed Media Control Unit Upgrade with harness retrofit. Installed firmware and checked infotainment functions. All systems function as intended at this time. The retrofit disables FM radio. For local radio stations, please use Tune In.
Correction: Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.5 To Intel MCU And Autopilot 3.0 (Model S)
Parts Replaced or Added Part Quantity 1.0
MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5- NA (9874561-00-A) Qty 1.0 Customer Pay 0.00

Does someone's invoice actually include info/code about the IC display?

Dropping off AP1 car for MCU2 upgrade right now!

My 2015 Model S with AP1 is experiencing the signs of eMMC going bad (periodic reboots required, etc). Tesla service in Torrance, CA just told me that my vehicle configuration does not physically allow the upgrade to a new MCU2.

Is that really the case? Or will this possibly change in the future? Has anyone else with a similar model/year been able to upgrade to MCU2 or is my best bet to have a third party replace the eMMC and keep my old MCU1?

My 2015 Model S with AP1 is experiencing the signs of eMMC going bad (periodic reboots required, etc). Tesla service in Torrance, CA just told me that my vehicle configuration does not physically allow the upgrade to a new MCU2.

Is that really the case? Or will this possibly change in the future? Has anyone else with a similar model/year been able to upgrade to MCU2 or is my best bet to have a third party replace the eMMC and keep my old MCU1?
Do you have the power liftgate? That may make a difference as to when you can upgrade.

Apparently no update for some, like the mothership just turned off something. Other say it coincided with 2020.24.6.11 update. 7 people saying there's a huge difference.

Last Friday's (July 24th) 2020.24.6.11 update on my MCU1 in my 2015 P85D+ DOES seem to have cured the previous "freezing browser" issue. Tesla WAZE has run flawlessly for a couple of days now... without freezing like before, causing the sounds to stop (turn signals go silent, XLive / Slacker stops working, etc.). The browser even works when I close the browser app, go to another app like Navigation, Settings, etc... and then reopen the browser.

I'm VERY happy about this. Definitely lowers my interest on the $2,500 + sales tax MCU2 upgrade, especially with all the issues and delays other MCU1 TMC members have posted here.

I'm driving to several destinations today and will know more this afternoon.

Do you have the power liftgate? That may make a difference as to when you can upgrade.
No, I don't have the power liftgate /tech package. Tesla service just told me that older Model S's need that option to be able to accept MCU2 upgrades. They said that I could replace my MCU1 with a new one ($900 parts + 300 labor) but that I would have to get in line as they are prioritizing owners whose MCU's have completely failed. My car is still running ok but I would rather not wait for my car to brick before calling for service. I think I am going to be proactive and just have Tony T replace my eMMC.

Interesting. Is there an IC part number listed on your invoice?

@ucmndd is right. It's one part number under the parts list. My service description was as follows though:
"Performed infotainment upgrade. MCU ICU and FSD upgraded"

I also engaged in a discussion with the SvcMgr to confirm as I was curious based on the differences on the forum and he purposely left the plastic on the screens to show me. If I'm a skeptic, I could say he went to the trouble to apply it onto my existing screen, but I mean that's a bit extreme.

Reactions: vraev and Akikiki