Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why does everyone keep saying its a $500" savings/difference? Using my non-Tesla calculator $2500 - $1750 shows $ 750. Not $500

We don't know if the $1750 cost include or excludes touchscreen.

Because they would most likely be reusing the screen, that is still warrantied, so the cost is $2,250 - $1750 = $500. (And I noted that I was assuming screen re-use in my estimate.)

Reactions: outdoors
I paid for upgrade and a day later it paid for itself when an 18 wheeler had some tiles drop off the back and pepper my car before I could stop or follow him. I had pulled e video and number of the trucking company and vehicle is getting repaired. And I know mcu1 now has usb cam functionality, yet somehow, I’m not so sure it would be this easy and effortless to get a new paint job

So is this confirmed that it would only apply to non-working units? Mine “works” just really slow. And I’m in warranty. Has there been any confirmation from Freemont yet?
The description I heard was “MCU died and is not recoverable”, which to me sounds like this would only apply when the MCU would otherwise qualify for a warranty replacement

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
Tesla Tap reporting
  • MCU2 Upgrade price lowered to $1750 for MCU1 cars still in warranty

Yea I couldn't find it anywhere

Word on the street is that a memo went out prematurely to SCs that for MCU1s that fail under warranty, the replacement/upgrade to MCU2 is $1750, but it was retracted since it wasn’t officially approved by leadership.
Could not find any official confirmation but hope it’s true even though I was well outside my warranty window when I had my MCU upgraded.

Also of note is this thread: If MCU1 fails under warranty, can MCU2 be negotiated cheaper?

Could not find any official confirmation
It's not currently the official policy. A Tesla employee told me this when I asked about it for my wife's upgrade coming up on monday based on a PM from a member here, since her 2016 X is under warranty. Her MCU is fine, just slow, and the tesla employee told me:

1. That deal is not currently offered, it was sent out prematurely to SCs and retracted "within an hour" and is currently under review by leadership. It's possible that a couple people have actually received this deal.
2. It's only for dead MCUs up for replacement under warranty.
She also asked me:
3. Where am I getting my information, because I seem to know about things that aren't public yet.

Sorry for the vagueness, but I'm not sure how much of this is supposed to be public info. I'll let others with first-hand experiences share it if they like.

Take it for what it's worth - I've also heard that others have been told the opposite - that it's only for MCU1s that are not dead.

allllllriighty then AP1 car upgraded to mcu2...

Huge upgrade in the frame rate and responsiveness of the instrument cluster, this is a massive thing thats always bugged me since delivery and its only gotten more laggy over time... now the power output etc is actually shown in damn near real time, basically imperceivable lag. Autopilot for example, obviously its functionality isn't better, however seeing the smoothness of the onscreen animation of the blue lines quickly going up the screen, it feels like new again. the ic doesn't struggle to keep with showing the cars on screen etc, same design but overall far better graphical performance. Also when you touch the scroll wheels something instantly happens on the screen so you are not doing those extra scrolls for the ones it was too overwhelmed to notice lol.

Also the sound is better, not like game changer, but its clearly "better" than before.

The games and entertainment is cool too, Tesla needs an option to put this stuff on the IC screen and leave the other screen up so we can mess around while stuff is playing etc....

overall STOKED. Get it.

allllllriighty then AP1 car upgraded to mcu2...

Huge upgrade in the frame rate and responsiveness of the instrument cluster, this is a massive thing thats always bugged me since delivery and its only gotten more laggy over time... now the power output etc is actually shown in damn near real time, basically imperceivable lag. Autopilot for example, obviously its functionality isn't better, however seeing the smoothness of the onscreen animation of the blue lines quickly going up the screen, it feels like new again. the ic doesn't struggle to keep with showing the cars on screen etc, same design but overall far better graphical performance. Also when you touch the scroll wheels something instantly happens on the screen so you are not doing those extra scrolls for the ones it was too overwhelmed to notice lol.

Also the sound is better, not like game changer, but its clearly "better" than before.

The games and entertainment is cool too, Tesla needs an option to put this stuff on the IC screen and leave the other screen up so we can mess around while stuff is playing etc....

overall STOKED. Get it.

Awesome feedback!

I'm looking forward to getting this upgrade on my 2015 P85D too!

Questions:
  1. How did you order it?
    • Tesla app (Service)?
    • If so, what category?
    • Any special notes in your service?
  2. How long was the wait for the parts?
  3. How long did the installation take?
  4. Any "downside" issues to the MCU2 upgrade besides AM FM & Sirius (which I don't use)?

Reactions: Evee and Akikiki