Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long is it taking for people to get their MCU's upgraded?

My system is down (MCU literally black screened) at the beginning of July and the latest update is that the parts still haven't arrived and that I have to wait another 3 weeks (8/26 from 8/3) as the service appointment got moved out.

I picked up my car today after they installed a new (remanufactured) MCU. The system works well and snappy as expect, but no data was carried over other than the odometer number. The service center was not in any mood to give up the old MCU even with the recent news stories about data leaks.

I'm sure my data is not safe on the old computer so I have to reset my home wifi password, Spotify password and hope that nobody wants to know all my GPS history.

So My new refurbished MCU lasted almost 3 months before failing. I started getting random shut downs last week. and then yesterday it died. Again, can't log in to the car with the app and now have an appointment next week at the service center.

Another annoying part, when they put the dash back together they messed up my drivers monitor so now there are air bubbles or de-lamination happening on the right side nearest the center screen.

I am really hopeful they upgrade the computer because these refurbished units are not good. I suspect Tesla is not going to do that however.

I've already cancelled one Tesla pre-order for my wife and this ongoing experience has be reconsidering replacing this one with another Tesla. I still think it's the best option for the price, but the service experience is becoming a nightmare. Between the MCU and the roof leak they can't seem to fix, this car is driving me crazy.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and FlatSix911
How long is it taking for people to get their MCU's upgraded?

My system is down (MCU literally black screened) at the beginning of July and the latest update is that the parts still haven't arrived and that I have to wait another 3 weeks (8/26 from 8/3) as the service appointment got moved out.

My MCU took almost 1 month for parts to arrive, another few days to schedule an appointment, and it's been in the service center since Friday morning. I'm supposedly going to be able to pick it up later today.

So My new refurbished MCU lasted almost 3 months before failing. I started getting random shutdowns last week. and then yesterday it died. Again, can't log in to the car with the app and now have an appointment next week at the service center.

Another annoying part, when they put the dash back together they messed up my drivers monitor so now there are air bubbles or de-lamination happening on the right side nearest the center screen. I am really hopeful they upgrade the computer because these refurbished units are not good. I suspect Tesla is not going to do that, however.
I've already canceled one Tesla pre-order for my wife and this ongoing experience has be reconsidering replacing this one with another Tesla. I still think it's the best option for the price, but the service experience is becoming a nightmare. Between the MCU and the roof leak they can't seem to fix, this car is driving me crazy.

This is not good news on the refurb MCU1... I am leaning toward the MCU2 upgrade.

@FlatSix911, This is just one report. I've read about a lot of MCU1 replacements on TMC and TM's forum. This is only the second time I have heard of a re-manufactured MCU1 failing within even a year. I believe IronPig that it failed. No doubt. But I do believe this is a very rare situation. And its going to be covered by warranty. So, yes, he's inconvenienced, but he's not going to have to pay again for it, assuming he had to pay the first time.

Since we are talking about it. In another thread here on TMC, there was a discussion by some fixers in Europe that got eMMC chips from a supplier that provided chips from a bad batch. The bad chip was supplied to several different fixers and they had to replace a couple of dozen. And to be sure its understood, none of those early failures were from Tesla, Tesla was not using chips from that source. I think the fixer, (I think I remember who it was) said it was a Swissbit chip.

My point is this was very rare. I would not shy away from a Tesla re-manufactured MCU1 simply based on one reported failed MCU1. If another MCU1 is what you want, continue on with your plan.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and FlatSix911
I just picked up my car from the SC. They said that it was only the 2nd or 3rd AP1 MCU that they have done. I have a 2014 S85 and my out of warranty MCU1 was showing signs of failure.

Just in time for playoff hockey!

upload_2020-8-3_21-26-23.jpeg

@FlatSix911, This is just one report. I've read about a lot of MCU1 replacements on TMC and TM's forum. This is only the second time I have heard of a re-manufactured MCU1 failing within even a year. I believe IronPig that it failed. No doubt. But I do believe this is a very rare situation. And its going to be covered by warranty. So, yes, he's inconvenienced, but he's not going to have to pay again for it, assuming he had to pay the first time.

My replacement MCU (refurbished, about 40k+ miles on it when installed) started having the same symptoms that lead to the death of the one it replaced: erratic reboots, unit was off when entering the car, USB storage not detected or showing 0 songs, no album covers loaded, no sound etc. I put about 3k miles on it since it was installed. So, given my previous history, I didn't feel like waiting till it completely dies. Forget about the actual display or music playback, but not having access to climate control in the middle of Texas summer would be quite difficult to live with :). So I scheduled a service appointment requesting an upgrade rather than 1-to-1 replacement (I was planning on upgrading anyway).

Reactions: FlatSix911
My replacement MCU (refurbished, about 40k+ miles on it when installed) started having the same symptoms that lead to the death of the one it replaced: erratic reboots, unit was off when entering the car, USB storage not detected or showing 0 songs, no album covers loaded, no sound etc. I put about 3k miles on it since it was installed. So, given my previous history, I didn't feel like waiting till it completely dies. Forget about the actual display or music playback, but not having access to climate control in the middle of Texas summer would be quite difficult to live with :). So I scheduled a service appointment requesting an upgrade rather than 1-to-1 replacement (I was planning on upgrading anyway).
Good to know. About when was the date, 3,000 miles ago. From my mental recollection, this is now the third one in about 2 years that I have heard of fail. Before someone jumps on me, I want to say again, failures reported on forums, not ever failure that has occurred.

Just another data point. I got my MCU1 replaced with an MCU2 last month. The order date was July 2, ship date was July 7, and delivery date was July 10th.

MCU INTEL UPGRADE-TegraAP2.0-NA-NODISP
Part #: 9874562-00-B
Delivered: July 10, 2020​

I should also note, even though it is the "B" part, they replaced the screen as well. I assume it was either on site or ordered separately. I have a 2017 X AP2/MCU1 (now AP3/MCU2).

Reactions: FlatSix911
Just another data point. I got my MCU1 replaced with an MCU2 last month. The order date was July 2, ship date was July 7, and delivery date was July 10th.

I should also note, even though it is the "B" part, they replaced the screen as well. I assume it was either on site or ordered separately. I have a 2017 X AP2/MCU1 (now AP3/MCU2).

does anyone know why they can’t upgrade to mcu2 if you have HW3 already?