Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the MCU upgrade helps the sound? I have Premium sound, old MCU. Frankly, the clarity is not that great; with the Model 3, I can hear instruments that I can't hear at all in the Model S. I'm thinking to possibly upgrade to after-market speakers, but wondering if the MCU is part of the problem.

I thought it was BS but i swear it sounds much better after the MCU2 upgrade on my premium sound. Guess there is new Immersive Sound with MCU2 but I have no data to prove it.
Audio Systems for the Tesla Model S and Model X | TeslaTap

My upgrade went smoothly. Screen responsiveness and navigation dramatically improved. App works fine. Haven't played with the camera yet.

I had to re-do my settings which is no big deal.

Overall the service experience was excellent, my car was there for less than 24 hours. I barely got to enjoy the loaner!

It's not clear from the site how to order the grease. They are only selling it as part of a $139 annual service package, not on its own for the $8 the blog post cites.

"This was the most ridiculously priced tube of grease, something that normally costs $8, was $240!"

I am sorry for the information not being clear, I was referring to "normal" grease. :)

But you are correct, this is part of our all-new annual service kit!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: RedOctober
I'm posting my experience with the MCU2 upgrade (2015 P85DL AP1) in case it helps anyone :)

Background:
  • Pre-History:
    • MCU1 was showing signs of failure for a few months (i.e. rebooting every time I entered the car)
    • I think the problem was made worse beccause I had to park outside the last couple of months and it's been really hot
  • 2020-07-25:
    • While driving, I lost my Spotify connection while driving -- I parked the car, but when I returned the main touchscreen wouldn't turn on
    • I immediately drove to the Tesla Service Centre (without signal lights!), and I was surprised that they took the car in for diagnostic right away
    • After multiple attempts to revive the MCU1, it was declared dead
    • I chose to upgrade to MCU2 and they gave me a loaner car
  • 2020-07-30:
    • In the morning, I received a text saying the parts arrived and that the car might be ready later in the day if all goes well
    • I receive another text at 3PM -- the car is already done!
    • I had to redo pretty much all of the car's setup (likely because my MCU1 had already died, since people simply doing upgrades retain their settings) such as User Profile, Bluetooth connection, Homelink, Spotify Login, Sound Mixer Setting, Navigation Settings, Driving Settings, Time format, etc.

Observations/Experience with MCU2:

• Improvements:
    • Screen is now very quick/responsive
    • Navigation maps render MUCH faster, especially when zooming in/out
    • The voice-command button is now functional -- it translates my commands to text extremely well (where as before it used to be chunky and unusable)
    • Screens no longer reboot every time I enter the car
    • My iPhone apps connects to the car MUCH faster than it did before -- it only takes about 3 seconds compared to 30+ seconds and multiple attempts with MCU1
    • The web browser is now functional
    • Now have access to the new Entertainment features (Netflex, YouTube) which work great!
    • Now have access to Caraoke
    • Now have access to the more graphic-intensive games
    • Can now play the old Atari-style games (since they didn't even work on my MCU1)
  • Stayed the Same:
    • The stereo sounds the same to me (but I don't have the premium audio system)
    • The touchscreen and dashscreen resolutions appear the same (even though they were replaced)
    • Rear camera resolution looks the same
    • Did not get any new Sentry Mode options (however, my car doesn't have side cameras)
    • The animation on the dash screen is unchanged (but I don't have full self-drive / FSD)
  • Disadvantages:
    • You lose access to AM/FM/XM radio (but I never used them anyways)
    • I had difficulty with my Bluetooth not connecting a couple days ago, but it could have been a fluke (or my phone causing the issue)
Hope this helps!

Pretty much the same experience, in a MCU2 upgrade in a 2015 S85D. NO settings were migrated, so it took 15 minutes to do that, but the Slacker and TuneIn favorites did migrate. Go figure.
What did NOT migrate, and I didnt realize it until home, was the Tesla app functionality - it recognizes the car and its location, but no controls, unlock, etc. It still says the car is “Ready for Pickup”. Have a call into SC to fix that remotely.

I think the Premium sound is better, but maybe that wishful. It wasn’t bad before. All the Entertainment, Netflix, games, etc are now onboard.’

all in all, pretty pleased, but out a bunch of $$$$.

There's been a few reports of people with premium sound reporting better sound quality after MCU2 upgrade. These reports were based on perceived improvement and I don't think anyone has measured an actual before/after frequency response.

huge difference for my 2016 S with premium sound- actually had to turn down the bass and fuller throughout the spectrum... Actually brought out some rattles in the passenger door that I didn’t have before and need to fix now. Small difference for my wife’s 2016 X with standard sound.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and Michelx
I have a 2015 S70D and the Orlando service center told me the MCU2 upgrade is for AP2 cars only. I have AP1 like I assume you do. What SC did you have this done at? My screen is leaking and my reboots have begun. I have 120,000+ miles.
Thanks!

@dglennon20 I have the exact same car 2015 S70D Build Date 05/2015 with AP1. I just had my MCU1 upgraded to MCU2 and it's $2500 + tax so yours should be up-gradable like mine and I highly recommend it especially with the 3G -> 4G LTE upgrade included and everything else works much faster. The upgrade unit will need new harnesses plus new Bluetooth antenna to work with our older cabling which is already included in the $2500 price too. Best of luck with you.

Does anyone know if the MCU1 to MCU2 is available in Australia ? My 2015 pre-face-lift Model S has been showing signs of failure (i.e. all updates fail at 10%), no navigation capability, very slow to go from Off to P after getting into the car to drive it. I'd ask Tesla but my experience has been they prefer to totally ignore their customers questions.

I've had 2 of the early warning signs of MCU failure -- in both cases it was "resolved" when I asked for support via the app; the first issue happened early in the panda muck about 6 months ago; they did a thing and forced the update. Just recently it exhibited more serious issues including the classic black screen / no signal lights (not just no sound but people smashing into the back of your car when turn right because they don't realize you're planning on turning no signal lights) etc. In that case they forced some updates and it was "fixed".

In no way do I think it is actually fixed, they just bought themselves some more time before I have to come in. Certainly worth a try to ask for help even if you're planning on going in and paying for a replacement MCU(1 or 2) it'd make the drive safer and more pleasant to have AC and signal lights...

Does anyone know if they charge for these remote services? I'm on year 1.2 of my 4 year B2B after buying the car used from tesla in June 2019.

• Informative
Reactions: dogphlap
I'm posting my experience with the MCU2 upgrade (2015 P85DL AP1) in case it helps anyone :)

Background:
  • Pre-History:
    • MCU1 was showing signs of failure for a few months (i.e. rebooting every time I entered the car)
    • I think the problem was made worse beccause I had to park outside the last couple of months and it's been really hot
  • 2020-07-25:
    • While driving, I lost my Spotify connection while driving -- I parked the car, but when I returned the main touchscreen wouldn't turn on
    • I immediately drove to the Tesla Service Centre (without signal lights!), and I was surprised that they took the car in for diagnostic right away
    • After multiple attempts to revive the MCU1, it was declared dead
    • I chose to upgrade to MCU2 and they gave me a loaner car
  • 2020-07-30:
    • In the morning, I received a text saying the parts arrived and that the car might be ready later in the day if all goes well
    • I receive another text at 3PM -- the car is already done!
    • I had to redo pretty much all of the car's setup (likely because my MCU1 had already died, since people simply doing upgrades retain their settings) such as User Profile, Bluetooth connection, Homelink, Spotify Login, Sound Mixer Setting, Navigation Settings, Driving Settings, Time format, etc.

Observations/Experience with MCU2:

• Improvements:
    • Screen is now very quick/responsive
    • Navigation maps render MUCH faster, especially when zooming in/out
    • The voice-command button is now functional -- it translates my commands to text extremely well (where as before it used to be chunky and unusable)
    • Screens no longer reboot every time I enter the car
    • My iPhone apps connects to the car MUCH faster than it did before -- it only takes about 3 seconds compared to 30+ seconds and multiple attempts with MCU1
    • The web browser is now functional
    • Now have access to the new Entertainment features (Netflex, YouTube) which work great!
    • Now have access to Caraoke
    • Now have access to the more graphic-intensive games
    • Can now play the old Atari-style games (since they didn't even work on my MCU1)
  • Stayed the Same:
    • The stereo sounds the same to me (but I don't have the premium audio system)
    • The touchscreen and dashscreen resolutions appear the same (even though they were replaced)
    • Rear camera resolution looks the same
    • Did not get any new Sentry Mode options (however, my car doesn't have side cameras)
    • The animation on the dash screen is unchanged (but I don't have full self-drive / FSD)
  • Disadvantages:
    • You lose access to AM/FM/XM radio (but I never used them anyways)
    • I had difficulty with my Bluetooth not connecting a couple days ago, but it could have been a fluke (or my phone causing the issue)
Hope this helps!

It does help. Thank you.

There have been several reports that the upgrade causes the backup camera to be much darker at night. Have you noticed that?

does teslawaze work on MCU2? On MCU1 it says "needs data connection" or something like that in a greay box. The map loads (slowly) but not sure it moves/is actually working
Yes, TeslaWaze does work, but (like other auto-refreshing websites), it will eventually crash the GUI causing a few minutes of frozen screens followed by a reboot. This seems to happen faster when AP is in use. I’m still trying to figure step-by-step instructions to reproduce for an eventual bug report.

My late model 2016 75d mcu has just failed. Orlando SC has me setup for august 11th. This will be a warranty repair. . Sure seems like a long time to have to wait for a repair when your car is not safe to drive with no turn signals. I wonder is I can have the mcu2 install at a discount or if they would want the full $2500. I guess we will see in a week.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
My late model 2016 75d mcu has just failed. Orlando SC has me setup for august 11th. This will be a warranty repair. . Sure seems like a long time to have to wait for a repair when your car is not safe to drive with no turn signals. I wonder is I can have the mcu2 install at a discount or if they would want the full $2500. I guess we will see in a week.

See in a week? Ask that question to them now so that they can get parts on order.