Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
or an old timer like me it seems the upgrade takes too much away that I like about my 2015 Model S 70D (Nov 2015 build).
Not even sure I want to trade to get all the new features, based on the many complaints I've read about wipers, Autopilot inconsistencies,
Homelink, over-the-air radio, just to name a few. Thoughts anyone???

There shouldn't be any changes to wipers, AP, or Homelink (other than maybe having to re-program it.) for you. (It isn't like they would upgrade you from AP1 to AP3.)

The only thing you would lose is AM, FM, and XM if you have it.

I posted this in another thread about MCU1 failures, just to make sure its seen. Not my usual bad habit, but I think worthy this time.

If you are looking for that MCU2 FM Radio custom made cable? The one that connects MCU2 and the digital tuner. It was documented the article about FM/XM Radio for the MCU2 Upgrade | TeslaTap. Teslatap made about 20 or so and stopped making them.

I found this site of someone that makes Tesla custom cables and sells them on his own site.
Check this out. EV Cables Company

There's only one part number that anyone has come across for AP2 infotainment upgrades, and it includes HW3.

I expect AP2.0/MCU2 is not a supported config (or a config they want to support) and all upgrades come with HW3.

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0- NA
Part #: 9874562-00-A

This is what was ordered for my retrofit:

1. ASY,HARN,HW3,RETROFIT,MSMX
    Part #: 1507950-00-A
    MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0 - WITHOUT DISPLAY - NORTH AMERICA
  2. Part #: 9874562-00-B
2nd part is revision B since I opted to keep the existing screen (as mentioned earlier).

It is important that they order 1st part as well, otherwise your appointment will be delayed. Ask me how I know ;)

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd
This is what was ordered for my retrofit:

1. ASY,HARN,HW3,RETROFIT,MSMX
    Part #: 1507950-00-A
    MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0 - WITHOUT DISPLAY - NORTH AMERICA
  2. Part #: 9874562-00-B
2nd part is revision B since I opted to keep the existing screen (as mentioned earlier).

It is important that they order 1st part as well, otherwise your appointment will be delayed. Ask me how I know ;)

That's exactly what my invoice said but I was charged $2500.

The screen does look new, or they cleaned it extremely well. So maybe they just used one they had in stock? No idea. Only had a single fingerprint mark on it.

That's exactly what my invoice said but I was charged $2500.

The screen does look new, or they cleaned it extremely well. So maybe they just used one they had in stock? No idea. Only had a single fingerprint mark on it.

They never clean anything. Mine seemed new but I had the b part on one line with no disp. The other line says touchscreen, so I dunno. Maybe they just do it and enter whatever into the system.

They never clean anything. Mine seemed new but I had the b part on one line with no disp. The other line says touchscreen, so I dunno. Maybe they just do it and enter whatever into the system.

That's exactly my line of thinking. If it's clean it must be new.

I asked them to clean and lube the sunroof too (and paid for it), and it still has leaves and stuff in the rails. So yeah, if they didn't really clean what I paid them to clean I doubt they would bother with the screen.

That said, nothing is broken and everything works really well, with good alignment. So I'm happy there.

I didn't realize how slow my MCU1 was until this.

Also, the upgrade fixed my loss of signal issue entirely. I now get 5 bars where I had 1 before.

• Disagree
Reactions: Creeble and croman
Hi VifferFun,
I saw your post regarding your MCU2 upgrade. I am in a similar citation as you are with a 2014 Model S 85 and thinking about upgrading. One thing I'm curious about, when your MCU1 failed, did you have warranty?
I have warranty with Tesla on my car as I bough it used from them and if my MCU1 fails, they will just replace it with another MCU1 under warranty. I wonder if they will give some discount to the $2.5k price if I ask them to instead upgrade to MCU2.
Would you happen to know from your experience?
Thank you.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
For my 2015, the upgrade was done 6 hours after I dropped it off. The screen. It’s contrast and brightness is so much better. It is shocking. I’m glad I opted for the screen being replaced. It’s a cheap way to refresh the electronics in the car, lessening the chance of failure in the next 4-5 years.

As for the sound being better, I noticed the same, but the equalizer was changed from where I had it. It’s default is much better.

Bill at the Lancaster SC is an awesome guy- truly a customer focused guy and I couldn’t recommend any people in the MD, DE, PA areas go anywhere else!

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
@Amacharola, How much did your upgrade cost you? The price just came down. If I were you, I would try to get a partial refund.

Read here. Pre Ap MCU 2 Upgrade 2013 Model S 85
I was quoted and paid the $2500 plus tax.

I have a hard time believing they would lower this price in the middle of it's highest demand. I would lean towards this guy in las vegas making a $600 mistake. I wonder if today was his last day? lol

• Helpful
Reactions: viper2ko