Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read an article on having that done. So far the only people I know doing such work are in the California area. That is an option, just not sure how long my car will be out of commission during that swap out.
There's people besides those just in CA doing the eMMC replacement. The fixers are doing a pretty good job of turning the board around and headed back to the owners in 1-3 days depending on what's in front of them. Most of the delay is shipping. Opt for Fexex or special handing one/two ways and you will reduce your down time.

Reactions: RedOctober
Got the Model S back today. Lost all my settings, which I expected. Had to re-do Homelink. Nice to be able to connect to our 5Ghz Network at home. Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube were cool too. Unfortunate that so much of the screen goes unused when watching Netflix, Hulu, or Youtube. Web browser is once again usable. Navigation was quick. We have premium sound but I couldn't tell if it was much louder prior to the MCU2. For some reason the Tunein Favorites were the only settings that remained.Had to re-enable the location aware suspension setting to high when I got home due to our steep driveway.

Only a couple of issues.
They did leave the film on the IC. I know because there are some areas that are slightly raised as if someone scratched it. If I use a needle to poke into it and start tearing it away will it come off easily? Worried when I get to the edges it will rip and remain around the edges.

Also as has happened to others, I am unable to lock/unlock, open trunk/frunk from the app. Will call them on Monday to resolve that.

Overall I'm a happy camper and feel the $2500+tax was worth it.

One thing that hit me right away was how much quieter the Model S is compared to the Model 3. I guess driving our Model 3 for the last 5 months got me use to the cabin noise.

It was 2 weeks from parts being ordered to my appointment this past Wednesday.

There's been a few reports of people with premium sound reporting better sound quality after MCU2 upgrade. These reports were based on perceived improvement and I don't think anyone has measured an actual before/after frequency response.
I had my MCU1 replaced last week and noticed right away that the sound was totally ruined in my car. I have the Ultra High Fidelity Sound package it it sounds awful now. I have been trying for a week now to dial it in but what I did figure out is my front door speakers are not producing any volume at all and it appears that only low base frequencies are being produced. Have a mobile service setup for next Thursday. It seems like the signals are being crossed and the sub signals are going to the front door speakers. I hope they can fix this as the stereo is one of the best parts of my model S.
I am happy with everything else on the replacement. Fast and very usable now. All settings came over except WiFi and Bluetooth which is understandable. I will post when they figure out what is going on with the crappy sound.

Reactions: captjoemcd
Lost all my settings... For some reason the Tunein Favorites were the only settings that remained.
Streaming and TuneIn settings are stored on the remote server via the car-specific login, not on the car.
I am unable to lock/unlock, open trunk/frunk from the app.
If your settings were lost, then remote app access was likely left disabled and will have to be re-enabled.

Reactions: dskillz
I am unable to lock/unlock, open trunk/frunk from the app. Will call them on Monday to resolve that.
If you app connects but can't lock/unlock, you will need Tesla to fix it. Search this forum, I've seen this reported before when MCU was replaced (even MCU1 to MCU1). There is some keying step the SC forgot to do, to pair up the MCU and the security module on the car. Quick fix, but IIRC required an SC visit (or ranger), but maybe they found a way to do it remotely now?

If you app connects but can't lock/unlock, you will need Tesla to fix it. Search this forum, I've seen this reported before when MCU was replaced (even MCU1 to MCU1). There is some keying step the SC forgot to do, to pair up the MCU and the security module on the car. Quick fix, but IIRC required an SC visit (or ranger), but maybe they found a way to do it remotely now?
I'll find out on Monday if they are able to fix it remotely without a ranger visit. Flashing the lights, honking the horn, homelink, and even venting our Pano Roof all work from the app. Just can't unlock/lock the doors, open the frunk, or open/close the trunk.

I'll find out on Monday if they are able to fix it remotely without a ranger visit. Flashing the lights, honking the horn, homelink, and even venting our Pano Roof all work from the app. Just can't unlock/lock the doors, open the frunk, or open/close the trunk.
Yep, that sounds like the security module pairing/keying issue (the same module which receives commands from your fobs, is not accepting commands from new MCU).

I am curious. Any of you that got the MCU2 Upgrade. Its is actually more or better than you thought it would be?

UHFS improvement wasn’t unexpected and huge imho. Speed, entertainment, and responsiveness were what I’d expected but wonderful. Dashcam and Sentry I knew I was getting but still awesome. Live view of side repeaters unexpected and super awesome. Still absolutely tickled pink that color side repeater cam swap on HW2.0 worked flawlessly. HW3.0 is so much better for FSD, and the stoplight visualizations are incredible from a tech nerd perspective. Blown away that they made the effort to do this upgrade. On my wife’s HW1.0, the benefits are a bit less overwhelming, but she loves that she can watch Netflix while eating her lunch in the hospital parking lot.

Last edited:
Turn signals didn't work for me. Noise and actual signal didn't work. Brake lights and Regen brake light worked.

If your MCU is fully dead you lose a lot. Somewhat dead you keep some functionality.

The same thing for me -- absolutely no turn signals (i.e. no indicators on the dash, no signal sound, and no signal lights for other motorists to see). I still had my hazard lights, so I used my hazards to somewhat signal turns (to at least distinguish myself from BMW drivers).