Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the offer to upgrade to MCU2 on my pre-AP S, which has been having some likely eMMC-related issues over the past few months... Would those of you that have done the upgrade say it's worth it for the non-AP related upgrades? The fact I won't have to worry at all about the MCU failing in the future is a plus, but I'm curious what the true benefits would be outside of "it's just faster."

As people have said before, it is absolutely worth it. The maps and web are usable for the first time, Voice works better than Siri in my iPhone. It’s great to have a screen without a yellow border. I’m using the arcade and movies less than I thought, but still nice to have. Oh and dashcam, I use that a lot.

Apple or BMW would never do an upgrade like this. Impressive Tesla does.

I just got my estimate today and the parts are apparently here for the install. This is the line item in my upgrade

I think this is the one with the replacement display. However, they still adamantly say that IC2 is already in my car and will not be replaced. lol

part number is 1582613-00-A

1.jpg

Either they are going to realize it during the install or the kit now has all the necessary harness/pieces required for the install.

Actually, BMW offered a nav/audio system update as far back as on the e39 BMWs that included new hardware as well as software.
I currently have a E93 and a F15 and have not seen any nav unit upgrades or offers from BMW. I put a avinusa touchscreen head unit in my E93 and would have loved to upgrade to a BMW CIC or NBT unit. No way would BMW do the MCU2 type upgrade for only $2,500. Wish they would.

Reactions: drklain
Just got the offer to upgrade to MCU2 on my pre-AP S, which has been having some likely eMMC-related issues over the past few months... Would those of you that have done the upgrade say it's worth it for the non-AP related upgrades? The fact I won't have to worry at all about the MCU failing in the future is a plus, but I'm curious what the true benefits would be outside of "it's just faster."

Looks like Tesla can now just repair the failing part for $400. Maybe that makes just repairing yours, good enough.

NHTSA Investigates Failing MCUs

Last edited:
Actually, BMW offered a nav/audio system update as far back as on the e39 BMWs that included new hardware as well as software.

Yup! And I did this exact upgrade on my e39 M5. It was a significant upgrade. And we had this discussion in this thread about 4 months ago. :)

I currently have a E93 and a F15 and have not seen any nav unit upgrades or offers from BMW.

It's not for all BMWs.

Reactions: Cheburashka
I just got my estimate today and the parts are apparently here for the install. This is the line item in my upgrade

I think this is the one with the replacement display. However, they still adamantly say that IC2 is already in my car and will not be replaced. lol

part number is 1582613-00-A

View attachment 574797

Either they are going to realize it during the install or the kit now has all the necessary harness/pieces required for the install.

I am booked next week.
I see part # 9874562-00-B ordered.
I already have HW3.
2017 MS100D

I asked I want new screen. I don't know if above is new screen.
I was emailed I am getting IC2.

Anyone can confirm for me. Thanks.

From what I read parts ending with B do not come with the screen replacement. My estimate included cost for new screen so if they do not change it , they have to fix it as I explicitly mentioned I rather get a new screen part than the $300 savings (given I already had a UV fix done for yellowing once).

Ps: the service tech now confirmed they have to replace the IC as well. ;)

I am booked next week.
I already have HW3.
2017 MS100D

I am booked next week.
I already have HW3.
2017 MS100D

Although my screen is ok, I prefer new one.
Quoted $3500 CDN.
Either that I get 10% of quote.

Booked for next Tuesday.
I am emailing SC now, TorontoLawrence.

Thanks

Just had my MCU2/HW3 upgrade yesterday. I have a couple of questions if someone can help answer that would be much appreciated:
-The traffic light/stop sign control switch is still greyed out. Navigation update was installed yesterday. Current version is NA-2020.12-11866. I have FSD. Current MCU fw is 2020.28.6. Rebooted MCU a couple of times. Is this going to eventually fix itself with time?
-When I reboot MCU now I hear a short static sound from the front speakers as the screen is going blank and another one from the back speakers few seconds later. Is that normal? It didn’t happen with MCU1
-I found a loose black screw on the floor in front of driver seat. I remember reading something about that with another person but can find it now. Did this happen to anyone else and if so did the screw critical and needed to be replaced?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Just had my MCU2/HW3 upgrade yesterday. I have a couple of questions if someone can help answer that would be much appreciated:
-The traffic light/stop sign control switch is still greyed out. Navigation update was installed yesterday. Current version is NA-2020.12-11866. I had FSD. Current MCU fw is 2020.28.6. Rebooted MCU a couple of times. Is this going to eventually fix itself with time?
-When I reboot MCU now I hear a short static sound from the front speakers as the screen is going blank and another one from the back speakers few seconds later. Is that normal? It didn’t happen with MCU1

Thanks.

Did you check marked in settings. ?

I am booked next week.
I already have HW3.
2017 MS100D

That part number is without the screen. You might be able to go into your Tesla app and look under service and view estimate. I had a B on my part number and had to argue with them to get the A part number. Unfortunately it might take awhile to get that part. Seems there is a shortage of screens so the default is to order without and not give the customer the option. I raised a stink so they suddenly found one a day before my appointment.

Y
That part number is without the screen. You might be able to go into your Tesla app and look under service and view estimate. I had a B on my part number and had to argue with them to get the A part number. Unfortunately it might take awhile to get that part. Seems there is a shortage of screens so the default is to order without and not give the customer the option. I raised a stink so they suddenly found one a day before my appointment.

yeah Looks like it no new screen
No discount mentioned?
Will see.

Thanks