Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn. When u put my fade to the rear the audio sounds muffled and terrible. I wonder what the issue could be. Isn't the amp for these built into the MCU?

Something is clearly wrong and I bet they failed to plug everything in right. Hopefully an easy fix or a software problem though since hardware requires service center fix. I don't think mobile takes apart the dash.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cheburashka
Something is clearly wrong and I bet they failed to plug everything in right. Hopefully an easy fix or a software problem though since hardware requires service center fix. I don't think mobile takes apart the dash.
I have UHFS and I am not happy at all with the New MCU2 audio quality. Missing many instruments I used to hear in a song. Front speakers and muffled bassy. Not a clean/crisp system like it used to be. I agree something is clearly wrong. Ranger coming for another item on Thursday. Will see what they say.

• Informative
Reactions: Cheburashka

You might be right about the plugs not being set right. I have a flashed ECM on my old 2001 VW Golf TDI. It instantly fails California's new smog test once because they test for all monitors the most flash programs will alter. As a result, I have to swap in my original ECM to get smogged. It takes about 6 tries to get the harnesses and 110 pins to make perfect contact. When they're not perfectly aligned, the throttle position sensor doesn't read, glow plugs don't read, engine speed sensor doesn't read, etc. It's a PITA since the ECM is cramped above the firewall below the windshield wiper motor, but the flashed ECM vastly improves its drivability.

Anyways, it might not be a bad idea to have Tesla inspect and replug the harnesses in. Maybe some electric contact grease would help as well.

Reactions: croman
I have UHFS and I am not happy at all with the New MCU2 audio quality. Missing many instruments I used to hear in a song. Front speakers and muffled bassy. Not a clean/crisp system like it used to be. I agree something is clearly wrong. Ranger coming for another item on Thursday. Will see what they say.

Kind of like how mine are in the back... Let us know what the ranger says.

Guys, I have just got an estimate for an upcoming visit for MCU2 upgrade and they listed about $200 of labor fee. I thought that it was $2500 including installation? Am I correct? Is there an official link from Tesla? Cheers.

Yes you are correct: Infotainment Upgrade

This upgrade is available for $2,500 plus applicable tax, including installation.

Reactions: ucmndd
I just got my estimate today and the parts are apparently here for the install. This is the line item in my upgrade

I think this is the one with the replacement display. However, they still adamantly say that IC2 is already in my car and will not be replaced. lol

part number is 1582613-00-A

View attachment 574797

Either they are going to realize it during the install or the kit now has all the necessary harness/pieces required for the install.
Which Service Centre are you going to? I’m curious which one is confused about the need to replace the IC....might indicate they haven’t done many MCU2 upgrades.

Which Service Centre are you going to? I’m curious which one is confused about the need to replace the IC....might indicate they haven’t done many MCU2 upgrades.

It is the Mississauga location. I posted in the latest post that today when I dropped off the car, the same service rep said “Yes! They will replace the IC as well.” So I guess because updates here just started last week, they also must have just realized that IC is part of the upgrade kit.

Anybody that got the upgraded hardware run into an issue of unable to unlock the car via the app? I just found out I cannot unlock the car through the app.
I had the same issue. Scheduled a mobile visit for the issue this coming Friday.. Got a text from Tesla today to try it again and I was able to lock/unlock the doors,open/close the trunk, and open the frunk from the Tesla App. So Tesla can resolve this for you remotely.

Well I went forward and approved the request to have the parts for the upgrade ordered. Lead time is supposedly less than 2 weeks (according to the tech texting me) to the Dublin SC. This includes a screen replacement too, as I made sure to ask based on all of your responses here (mine's yellowed anyways). We'll see how it all goes! They're looking at my DU and suspension while they're at it too, so it might be a while.