Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in this thread, there have been many questions about the audio coming from MCU1 to MCU2. After my upgrade over a month ago, I was initially disappointed with the sound of MCU2. After a month of frustration in trying to tune the system but never getting it quite right, I decided to spend a day on an audio project and use a little science instead of just my ear. I mapped out the frequency response of the MCU2 audio and adjusted the limited EQ the software allows to obtain a much better sound.

MCU2 Upgrade Audio EQ Balancing - Coming From MCU1
I would love to talk to you about this. I also am extremely disappointed in the audio after the upgrade to MCU2 so much I want my MCU1 back! I also have been spending the last 2 weeks trying to dial it in. (Music now hurts my ears with settings I have used in every stereo I have had in the last 30 years) I will read your post and DM you if I need further help.

Reactions: vraev and EVortex
I wonder if it's because right now the infotainment upgrade for AP 2.0 and 2.5 cars only comes bundled under a single part number that includes the HW3 computer...
It does not come under a single part number. And even if that's the logic being used, Tesla creates the kits, assigns the part numbers and ships them doesn't it make sense that they could divide a "bundle under a single part number" and figure out a way to provide a MCU2 if they choose to?

Reactions: Gt1948
It does not come under a single part number. And even if that's the logic being used, Tesla creates the kits, assigns the part numbers and ships them doesn't it make sense that they could divide a "bundle under a single part number" and figure out a way to provide a MCU2 if they choose to?
Sure they can, and I imagine they eventually will. I’m saying there’s no evidence they have yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
So in this thread, there have been many questions about the audio coming from MCU1 to MCU2. After my upgrade over a month ago, I was initially disappointed with the sound of MCU2. After a month of frustration in trying to tune the system but never getting it quite right, I decided to spend a day on an audio project and use a little science instead of just my ear. I mapped out the frequency response of the MCU2 audio and adjusted the limited EQ the software allows to obtain a much better sound.

If anyone has an interest, I created a new post with my results (and lots of pretty frequency analysis graphs).

MCU2 Upgrade Audio EQ Balancing - Coming From MCU1
Lifesaver. After reading your post my system is somewhat usable again. Thank you.

Reactions: agtdDelirium
I just upgraded to MCU2 on my 2017 P100DL with HW2, and they mentioned when I checked it in that they don't replace the touchscreen anymore on certain installs and thus it would cost 10% less.

Thought I'd share to others, was a nice surprise - they said the screens are identical but I haven't looked that up to confirm or not, so here's hoping they didn't pull a fast one on me :p

image0.png

Or maybe it came that way from the factory if on the shelf for a while. The yellow band can be fixed with the UV treatment though. As long as there are no other imperfections, you should be good to go with that fix. Although shouldn’t have been necessary in the first place.
The yellow border is from use. It's not going to develop a yellow border from sitting on a shelf w/o even having power hooked up. They can fix it with the UV correction but the fact remains that he may have just got someone else's MCU2, screen or both that have years of use on them. Not cool when he paid full price for new equipment. That's criminal misrepresentation to the tune of $2,500 which isn't nothing.

What makes you so sure about that? I don’t see how being powered on or not has anything to do with improperly cured adhesive.
Not sure but I believe it has something to do with heat from the sun etc. I bought a 3 year old car with very little miles from a cold climate. It’s 1st owner never used the car and just sat in the garage in KC. I moved it to hot Sacramento and almost within days the yellow appeared. Dealer was able to UV it back but I still choose the new screen.

Reactions: RedOctober
I’m not saying it’s sensical. It’s Tesla. Nothing is sensical, but it’s apparently what they’re telling people right now. I’m not quite sure why you’re being a dick.

If you want to show me an infotainment upgrade part number for AP2.0 or 2.5 that doesn’t also reference HW3, I’ll be interested to see it.
I'm not going to bother with showing you anything. Not really concerned with what you think. Lost interest when you started the insulting remarks.

Got my car back today. Here are my thoughts:

• I took a video of the MCU before the upgrade. It is a night/day difference in the speed. So much more responsive to touch.
  • The biggest justification for the cost: The responsiveness of the MCU to navigation requests is fantastic: A road trip to NY which used to take 2-4min to plan out now takes less than 5 sec. Maps is so much more responsive. This is the biggest selling point for this upgrade for me.
  • The MCU display now seems more "crisp" and "contrasty". It still seems a bit pixelated / aliased compared to the MCU 1 screen which I noticed when I first sat in a MCU2 car in the showroom. Again, I don't know if the "conspiracy" that these may be refurbs on the retrofits is true, but no yellow border on this screen as of today. (my old MCU1 screen did have a yellow border and the whole screen improved in colour when I got the UV treatment done) So...I don't know.
  • The IC display immediately also appeared crisper. The car graphic looks sharper and less aliased. The frame rate itself seems to have gone from 15-20fps to 30+ fps. Very nice.
  • The car seemed fresh out of factory settings: No saved driver profiles or anything. had to set everything up again. Nice feeling imo. Def adds to that clean slate feeling (considering I am someone who likes to format my PC and start fresh every year or so).
  • Note: The service center removed the screen protector on the IC display. I don't see anything on it.
  • The MCU bezel seemed to have a dent on the top right (see pic). They called me in (I live 10min away) and they seemed to "fix" it by re-seating it or something. I said it still feels a bit dented. They refused to budge saying it's normal and is the same on another car at the service center too. I, later on, checked back my pics from before the MCU upgrade and it did have a sort of "bend" to the bezel...so I didn't bother causing a big stink.
  • It took me around 30km to re-calibrate the cameras for AP. The new visualizations for cones etc are pretty cool. Nice teaser to show the traffic lights/lines etc. Looks pretty awesome.
  • AP2.5 to AP3 upgrade: I personally notice a significant improvement in braking. I always felt my car braked too suddenly in traffic and abruptly. I could hear the vibration on the brake pedal as it depresses and lets go instantly. Now it is so much smoother: the way I would slow down using regen rather than brakes. Very very nice.
  • The youtube app was a pain to sign into. I had to sign onto my TMC forums on the web browser and then that signed into my youtube through the google sign in
  • Netflix is cool too, but this ain't no iPad quality..the screen still appears pixelated given the aspect ratio, but all things considered a definite plus for road trips/charging.
  • Spotify is so much more responsive. Pretty awesome.
  • Biggest CON: I can definitely perceive a difference in audio quality: I have premium sound. I feel all the bass is coming from the front/side speakers and not from the rear as it is supposed to with MCU1. I also found this might have something to do with immersive sound. Try disabling it? I always found Dolby cut down the bass on my MCU1 as well. But either way, I can confirm some of the observations here that MCU 2 seems to have a "perceptible" difference in sound quality. Definitely given the concerns only two reasons: 1) Amp issue for these kits 2) software issue.
  • Downgrade 1: Yes! Rear cam is darker. I think they just need to change the algorithm that these intel CPUs are using for image processing. Given the commonality of this issue, I am not too concerned.
  • Downgrade 2: Losing radio is not a big deal for me. Hell yea to tune-in responsiveness and spotify responsiveness as an alternate.
  • Browser is damn awesome. Again a very good positive given how my partner and I always look into new restaurants or ideas while we are driving. This would be pretty awesome for us. I like that this is actually usable now.
  • Another big positive: Dash cam updates: I love the new dashcam viewer. The footage now saves at a higher bitrate and speed with less image corruption. Nice to also see it in the car and clean up old footage that is not needed right there.
  • Possible issue: I noticed I am getting a lot of key fob recognition issues since the upgrade. I know it was the same key (2.0) that was working fine until previously, but now even sitting in the seat with the fob seemed to give issues in terms of recognizing that the key was in the car. I'm still monitoring this and will see if this continues.

In summary, was it worth $3510 + $456 CDN in taxes ? If you will be keeping your car for the next foreseeable future (4+ y): YES. It finally feels like the car I should have gotten in 2017 December on delivery day. My biggest point for buyer's remorse was missing out on MCU2 and now I am super happy that I got it. While I wasn't desperate, I rushed to order this upgrade given Tesla's notoriously fickle nature for changing prices and packages. I think the new AP3 computer (which actually is beneficial for their own neural network training + teasing us EAP users to upgrade to FSD) is also a nice upgrade to give us more functionality that makes a QOL difference in using my car. I am already at 96K on my odometer and as long as the drivetrain/battery holds up, I am happy to drive my car now for years to come.

IMG_20200812_101306.jpg
IMG_20200812_101313.jpg

IMG_20200812_102210.jpg
IMG_20200812_104639.jpg
IMG_20200812_193412.jpg

Last edited:
If you want to show me an infotainment upgrade part number for AP2.0 or 2.5 that doesn’t also reference HW3, I’ll be interested to see it.

my post on page 302 shows the -a part ..I have AP2.5 never paid fro FSD (which I thought u needed to get the AP3 upgrade ) it references AP2.5 and HW3 not sure what to make of all of it But I’m just happy to have faster screen ..my X is a Jan 2018 build and i was pissed I missed the mcu2 by few months and now have to pay :eek:

The yellow border is from use. It's not going to develop a yellow border from sitting on a shelf w/o even having power hooked up. They can fix it with the UV correction but the fact remains that he may have just got someone else's MCU2, screen or both that have years of use on them. Not cool when he paid full price for new equipment. That's criminal misrepresentation to the tune of $2,500 which isn't nothing.

If it truly is used, then I agree with you.

I would love to talk to you about this. I also am extremely disappointed in the audio after the upgrade to MCU2 so much I want my MCU1 back! I also have been spending the last 2 weeks trying to dial it in. (Music now hurts my ears with settings I have used in every stereo I have had in the last 30 years) I will read your post and DM you if I need further help.
I personally have not noticed a difference in sound quality after upgrading to MCU2 Over the weekend. Im coming from MCU1 with premium sound. I however now have a constant buzzing sound from rear left speaker (tailgate).

I personally have not noticed a difference in sound quality after upgrading to MCU2 Over the weekend. Im coming from MCU1 with premium sound.
Same. I can’t say I noticed a dramatic difference. My equalizer was zeroed out because I lost all my settings, but I put it back mostly the way I remember it and it doesn’t sound hugely different/better/worse.

• Love
Reactions: KArnold
I personally have not noticed a difference in sound quality after upgrading to MCU2 Over the weekend. Im coming from MCU1 with premium sound. I however now have a constant buzzing sound from rear left speaker (tailgate).
I have a Ranger coming today to check other items. I will be questioning them about this. I agree most of said that sound is same or better. However there are few of us that notice a huge difference to the worst. Hurts my ears with same Eq settings I normally use.

Im the furthest thing from a audiophile but I did not notice much of a difference in Audio from MCU1 to MCU2, I have the upgraded system but it really does sound horrible. I think its all relative however if you have other cars to compare it to. My Lexus Mark Levingston upgrade which I always thought was average now sounds awesome compared to Tesla's system and the Porsche Burmester upgrade sounds ridiculously good. For comparison sake, before I got my Tesla, the Porsche sounded very good and the Lexus was pretty bland.

I have a Chevy Truck and even that sound system is comparable to the Tesla....Im considering a LH upgrade but im afraid it won't make a difference.

I have a Ranger coming today to check other items. I will be questioning them about this. I agree most of said that sound is same or better. However there are few of us that notice a huge difference to the worst. Hurts my ears with same Eq settings I normally use.
After Mobile appointment they ran diagnostic and they all failed for the sound system so something is going on. As usual I had to book another appointment now to go into the service center which is 2 1/2 weeks away. Most likely they will have to order parts(Maybe another MCU2?). Could be months before I get this fixed. Service has not changed in the 4 years of owning a Tesla.:(

After upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2 I’m excited about the dashcam and sentry mode. My front camera seems somewhat hazy. Is that how it should be? It’s is clearer outside in daylight but still looks less clear than the repeater cams. The windshield is clean. Thanks.

Attachments

• A906B12F-C248-41B8-9C01-61C8E907CC53.jpeg
    A906B12F-C248-41B8-9C01-61C8E907CC53.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 66