Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve got an appointment soon to upgrade to MCU 2 and HW3. My current screen has terrible yellowing around edges, but wasn’t worth doing anything about it since I assumed I would be getting a new screen with the upgrade. Are you saying it’s possible that I won’t?

I would strongly suspect in your case they'd do it - or you could specifically tell them you want that done as well. They did quote $2500 WITH the replacement, so they should be down to do it I'd hope.

I got HW3 installed on my MCU1-car early in May. Short version of my experience with this combo is that both AP and MCU1 operates exactly as it did with HW2.5. I haven't noticed any new features, visualizations, etc, and no additional stuttering, lag or instability on the MCU.
Same here. I wanted both HW3 and MCU2 to be done at the same time, however only the parts for HW3 were available. Been running HW3 now for almost a month now, without any ill effects.

Telsa UK can't yet provide an availability date for retrofit MCU2's

Last edited:
Same here. I wanted both HW3 and MCU2 to be done at the same time, however only the parts for HW3 were available. Been running HW3 now for almost a month now, without any ill effects.

Telsa UK can't yet provide an availability date for retrofit MCU2's
I am in UK and have a 2017 MS with AP2.0 and MCU1. I have paid for FSD and am waiting for the HW3 upgrade. Can you let us know how you got your HW3? Did you request it? Did they proactively contact you?

Mahalo Nui Loa (a great big thank you from Hawaii Island). The posts are very helpful. Our SC is on Oahu which means we get to ship our vehicle there for major servicing. We have mobile rangers for minor issues. Sounds like I have a weekend project. Grammy's Tessie will be happy to have the yellow band (2017 X) gone or at least muted. I love reading the posts and count my blessings for nearly 3 years of a wonderful driving experience.

FYI, the equipment they use for fixing that issue wasn’t working last month when I was in for service.

Apart from that, I've also heared that the HW3.0 upgrade doesn't seem to work well together with MCU1? At least I've read some stories in this thread about a few owners complaining about a setback in performance of the MCU1 interface after upgrading to the HW3.0.

For me, reading all of these stories makes me a bit reluctant to proceed with the HW3.0 upgrade next week after all.

Thanks for the information @PatrickCH4313. I didn't even knew they are now expecting the MCU2 upgrade to be offered this year. The last news I've got was that it was still highly uncertain and might even be rolled out in 2021 for Europe.
HW3 upgrade has worked ok so far for me.
2017 S MCU 1 FSD

Reactions: watt
I am in UK and have a 2017 MS with AP2.0 and MCU1. I have paid for FSD and am waiting for the HW3 upgrade. Can you let us know how you got your HW3? Did you request it? Did they proactively contact you?
Yeh mines a late 2017 MX that was running AP2.5. I had EAP from new and recently decided to get the FSD upgrade when they had the deal running until 30 June. After that I booked in a service booking using the app, for various items and also at the time requested HW3 and MCU2. The HW3 swap was non chargeable.

Yeh mines a late 2017 MX that was running AP2.5. I had EAP from new and recently decided to get the FSD upgrade when they had the deal running until 30 June. After that I booked in a service booking using the app, for various items and also at the time requested HW3 and MCU2. The HW3 swap was non chargeable.
Thank you. I also have EAP and have pre-paid for HW3 but have been told that HW2.0 to HW3 is not currently available in the UK but "coming later this year". We shall see.

Just got car back with MCU2 update. Still amp not working. Will have to take it to where I had installed and pay them to diagnose it, argh.

It's snappier on the response. No FM, another argh!

$2500.00 Plus tax

They seems to always forget their tools in my car each time I take it in. Left another one. Sloppy.

@smilepak , when you say amp not working. Do you mean the rear 2 door speakers are at 1/2 volume and no bass at all for the standard sound system?
I had a subwoofer and amp aftermarket. It was working prior to the mcu died. Not working after they got the mcu working again And not working after mcu upgrade. Now have to pay extra to get some installer to look at it.

I had a subwoofer and amp aftermarket. It was working prior to the mcu died. Not working after they got the mcu working again And not working after mcu upgrade. Now have to pay extra to get some installer to look at it.
Yeah- I hate to say it, but that isn’t on Tesla for them to troubleshoot as it’s aftermarket. Now if all checks out and a pre amp output on the MCU is dead that should be working, that’s a different story...

Yeah- I hate to say it, but that isn’t on Tesla for them to troubleshoot as it’s aftermarket. Now if all checks out and a pre amp output on the MCU is dead that should be working, that’s a different story...
I agree. They disconnected something and the power cable from.the 12V. Used the excuse it us aftermarket and they can't troubleshoot it. The amp had power to it when I dropped off the car. Got it back, amp no power.

I will have to take it back to the installer to reconnect these cables they disconnected.

Just purchased my Dec 16 P100D CPO 6th of Aug and have several at delivery issues to have looked at scheduled for next week.

Seat belt on backward, replace one tail assembly, and pillar camera preventing Calibration completion.

I'm fairly certain (although I'm new to these things) the AP2.0 system was HW2-> HW3 and FSD software upgraded before it was sold as it has some repairs down while listed and changed in thrasedness and price (increase) the weekend before I pulled the trigger.

So while it's scheduled for these services the Decatur SC is going to attempt to get parts for MCU1-> MCU2. Not sure what luck they'll have or if my favor will transfer over to the MS. I'll be sure to report back but they'll have the car for 10 days so they hopefully could swing all the things. Hoping for a new(er) ride when I get it back.

So with AP2.0 and HW3 FSD computer upgrade on MCU1, I have teslacam dash and sentry recording to my SSD, no playback in car, FM super laggy browser, Prem sound, and been able to engage autopilot.

I truly believe something went done expertly on the FSD computer upgrade maybe, just the seatbelt buckle being on backward as an indicator of lack of attention to detail. And autopilot calibration doing the 95-98% tango for the few hundred miles and clear calibrations later.

Just a data point and will report back if I get rheected for parts of something as others have reported with AP2.0/HW3 trying to infotainment upgrade. Btw I had intended to schedule both right at delivery but the delivery issues had a 60 window so I scheduled those immediately and have been racking on the service as I find them. While waiting for my appointment I began checking a few more things and found that Teslacam recording was indicative of the HW3 UPGRADE, but my about still showed tegra and I have FM.

So that's what I based my thought process on. Any feedback?
So if you have mcu1/hw3 you cant upgrade to MCU2 for now? That is so Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: JACMS3
I have a question for the group. I was recently looking at a Model X (build date March 2018) and I was trying to figure out if it was MCU1 or MCU2. It could've been either and the photos didn't provide any direct looks at the display for clues (e.g. Caraoke). Is it a fair assumption that if the car has the silver bezel around the MCU that it is MCU1 and if it has the darker/graphite bezel that it is MCU2 or were there MCU2 cars produced in 2018 with the silver trim around the bezel?

I realize it doesn't matter quite so much now because you can swap out the MCU1 for the MCU2 but I was just wondering.

Reactions: croman
I have a question for the group. I was recently looking at a Model X (build date March 2018) and I was trying to figure out if it was MCU1 or MCU2. It could've been either and the photos didn't provide any direct looks at the display for clues (e.g. Caraoke). Is it a fair assumption that if the car has the silver bezel around the MCU that it is MCU1 and if it has the darker/graphite bezel that it is MCU2 or were there MCU2 cars produced in 2018 with the silver trim around the bezel?

I realize it doesn't matter quite so much now because you can swap out the MCU1 for the MCU2 but I was just wondering.

All dark bezel is mcu2. There was a small number of cars that got the MCU2 and still had silver. I think a 2 month window

MCU2 can be silver or gray framed.

If you go to control->software there is a button that shows the cars info. If it is MCU2 that will show intel based MCU.