Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several weeks ago, I looked in my tesla app and found a message from June that I could schedule my FSD Computer upgrade. I asked if they could upgrade the MCU at the same time, and they asked me to book at the SC. They didn’t have an appointment until today, but said they could take care of both.

Today, I brought Victoria in for her upgrades, and so far, I’ve been impressed with the experience. The check in was easy, I only waited a few minutes for their call. They talked me through what they were going to do, including telling me that there were a few service bulletins they were going to take care of. They asked if I had a ride, and when I told them I was hoping for a loaner, they said that wasn’t a problem and they’d just need about 10 minutes to get one cleaned up.

I think it was more like 20, but I was waiting comfortably in my car, and they drove my loaner, a 2014 Model S, right up to my car, they took my key fob, and I was off. Regardless of covid or not, this was a pretty good experience.

I’ll post updates when I pick it up tomorrow or Friday.

As an aside, I have a very tight parking situation, including having to back through a narrow alley then do a 4ish point turn to end turning backwards into my garage with about 3” of clearance on each side of my Model X (mirrors folded). I end up against a wheel stop with my back bumper less than 2” from my back wall and about 2” of clearance in front for the garage door. It’s nuts. I think it’s awesome that I’m able to use the same muscle memory to back the S in, and that I can use the exact same reference points and wheel stop as with my model X.

Reactions: VikH and E Dizzle
Those have nothing to do with each other. The door lock issue was a missing step copying over security certificates.

What do you mean by Summon “not working as well”?

Well.. I don't know what the issue is (security mismatch maybe?). I can say that unlock from the phone makes the lights blink but the car does not unlock. In terms of summon not working, summon gives me this error. The car folds it's mirrors and makes the 3 chime sounds..however, the rear lights do not blink and I then get this error.

Screenshot_20200819-113951.jpg

Congrats? I upgraded my MX to HW3 almost a year ago. I think this is pretty old news for most people.

Sorry for being excited. How was your upgrade experience? We all share our bad experiences, I thought I’d share a good one (so far).

Only old news to those who had MCU2. For anyone with builds before March 2018, it’s mostly been this summer. And combined with the MCU2 upgrade, it does totally refresh the car. Congrats @arathald!

Thanks! Yeah, exactly. I missed out on MCU2 by not very long. I wasn’t upset, but I was a bit jealous.

Mine just got done and everything looks good except the app doesn’t unlock the car anymore. I’ve seen others with the same so hopefully they can fix mine remotely also.
how long did you wait for the part? Tesla ordered part on Aug/3 but still pending. I am in Dublin SC btw.

MCU INTEL UPGRADE-For TegraAP1.0 - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874564-00-A
Order Date: August 3, 2020
Ship Date: Pending

As an aside, I have a very tight parking situation, including having to back through a narrow alley then do a 4ish point turn to end turning backwards into my garage with about 3” of clearance on each side of my Model X (mirrors folded). I end up against a wheel stop with my back bumper less than 2” from my back wall and about 2” of clearance in front for the garage door. It’s nuts. I think it’s awesome that I’m able to use the same muscle memory to back the S in, and that I can use the exact same reference points and wheel stop as with my model X.

With MCU2, I believe you will now be able to see the side repeater cameras when your rear camera is displayed. Should help with parking!

Reactions: Akikiki
With MCU2, I believe you will now be able to see the side repeater cameras when your rear camera is displayed. Should help with parking!

The update that added the side repeaters for backup up adds a bit more information. This would be useful in the scenario the parking scenario the OP described.

At this point I can park just fine without them, but I'm also very much going to welcome the extra information. One of many little features/upgrades I'm looking forward to :)

Reactions: Akikiki
The more I look at my replaced screen, the more ridiculous it looks to me, but please let me know if I am out of my mind. The gap on the top right of the screen is absolutely massive relative to the bottom right. Does anyone's screen look like this?

Attachments

• IMG_8974.jpg
    IMG_8974.jpg
    701.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
The more I look at my replaced screen, the more ridiculous it looks to me, but please let me know if I am out of my mind. The gap on the top right of the screen is absolutely massive relative to the bottom right. Does anyone's screen look like this?

I think that is perspective. The screen is angled towards the driver. Check if the other angle shows a similar black edge to the screen.

Picked up my car today (about 48 hours to upgrade both MCU, FSD computer, and take care of the wiring harness rerouting service bulletin). This may be my imagination, but the new screen looks brighter and more vibrant, and is definitely more responsive. The new FSD visualizations are interesting (I didn't expect it to identify the garbage cans in the shared alleyway behind me) but I need a maps update before I can try out stop sign and stoplight autopilot.

When I got in the car, it said there was an update (2020.28.6) but after getting it back onto my home wifi, it looks like the download is stuck at 100%, even with a couple of hard resets. I thought it might be due to it also grabbing map data at the same time, but looking at my wifi stats, it's not downloading anything anymore. I guess I'll leave it and wait to see if it clears up on its own.

Edit: and of course literally the minute I post this, it's downloading another very large payload, probably the maps.

Edit 2: It changed its mind and now it's downloading 2020.32.3

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Michelx