Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you guys got the upgrade done, did Tesla send you an estimate before you came in? I have an appointment for tomorrow but they haven’t provided an estimate. I’m concerned I’m going to drive all the way there to be told I can’t do the upgrade.

I have AP2.0 (with EAP, no FSD). If my MCU1 dies in the future, is MCU2 upgrade really worth it? I don't care for video games or NetFlix. Will the DashCam and Sentry mode work with just the MCU2 upgrade? Those two features might be only interest.

I have AP2.0 (with EAP, no FSD). If my MCU1 dies in the future, is MCU2 upgrade really worth it? I don't care for video games or NetFlix. Will the DashCam and Sentry mode work with just the MCU2 upgrade? Those two features might be only interest.

They'll give you hw3 for free so yes you'll get full features for recent cars except fsd and hardware related (Raven).

Got my MCU2 upgrade months ago when it was made available. I already developed a yellow border around the screen. Has it happened to anyone else?
Yup, got the MCU2 upgrade with a new LCD middle of June and noticed yesterday that yellow boarder is beginning to …. now I'm thinking weather to request Tesla to cure the LCD or to do it myself

Got my MCU2 upgrade months ago when it was made available. I already developed a yellow border around the screen. Has it happened to anyone else?

This is yet another reason I won't do the conversion. My current screen is flawless (just lucky I guess?) and I want ot keep it like that.

It's becoming increasingly obvious to me that MCU1/HW3 is not a viable FSD platform. So either Tesla will install MCU2 in all FSD cars or buy us out. The company WILL have to admit this sooner or later.

Reactions: viper2ko
This is yet another reason I won't do the conversion. My current screen is flawless (just lucky I guess?) and I want ot keep it like that.

It's becoming increasingly obvious to me that MCU1/HW3 is not a viable FSD platform. So either Tesla will install MCU2 in all FSD cars or buy us out. The company WILL have to admit this sooner or later.
I thought my screen was flawless as well, until one day I switched from satellite view on maps to the vector view, and suddenly the orange border was clear as day. I never noticed it when it was on the satellite view, but on close inspection it was there, just really hard to see. It really stands out when on vector graphics though.

It’s pretty bad. I’m mcu1 and fsd.

My instances of freezes/reboots (something about streaming podcasts via tunein and fast forwarding through the podcast while on NOA while dashcam is functional seems to be a trigger for a freeze/random reboot, sometimes), voice commands not being detected fully or detected, but not executed has gone up exponentially since my FSD upgrade. Also, sometimes the podcast on tunein will resume where it left off (before I left the car), other times it starts from beginning. Inconsistent since FSD.

Last edited:
You got the MCU1 -> MCU2 Infotainment upgrade with a new screen a few months ago and now the new screen is showing the yellow boarder???? Am I reading that right?? :eek:

Yea, I wasn't expecting it to happen that fast. Just had my car completely die without warning a few weeks ago due to dead 12v battery too. I think our family just has bad luck with Tesla's. Sisters 3 required a full battery pack replacement. Our 3 had stopped while on road and after supercharging and required 2 drive unit replacements. Dad's X had yellow border and AC compressor needing full replacement.

I have a June 2017 MCU1 AP2.0 model s and performed the MCU2 upgrade. Also got the AP3 hardware installed but I didn’t buy FSD. Sentry mode, dash cam all work great. UX is smooth as butter. Very happy.

FINALLY was able to get my upgrade to MCU2 and HW3 done last week after initially having it schedule for back in May. It kept getting pushed back and pushed back due to parts not arriving.

As others have mentioned, much much more responsive UI. Autopilot is also much improved it seems, it can take turns that the old system used to just give up on and I'd have to take over before it ran off the road.

I did lose the drive profile, Wifi settings and HomeLink, but radio stations remained. I also expected the web browser to be much better from other's comments and its still fairly unusable in my opinion. Yes it loads, unlike MCU1, but still takes a while, nothing that I could consider fluid by any stretch.

I tried to review the Service Order today that I had crated a week back for replacing HW3/MCU2 replacement scheduled along with my Year3 pre-paid maintenance at the same time. There was text message immediately notifying that there is a delay of 30 - 60 days. When I went back to review my service order the Infotainment upgrade selection is gone. Has anyone experienced this, how did the SC contact you if you wish to do this both at the same time?

Also I am reading from this thread that FSD may not be possible without MCU2 from a pure performance perspective. Is this true?

I tried to review the Service Order today that I had crated a week back for replacing HW3/MCU2 replacement scheduled along with my Year3 pre-paid maintenance at the same time. There was text message immediately notifying that there is a delay of 30 - 60 days. When I went back to review my service order the Infotainment upgrade selection is gone. Has anyone experienced this, how did the SC contact you if you wish to do this both at the same time?

Also I am reading from this thread that FSD may not be possible without MCU2 from a pure performance perspective. Is this true?

I think FSD/MCU1 is a sham. Not a viable platform. From Teslas POV they delivered, the bare minimum version of FSD that crashes alot and may or may not see those traffic cones.

Reactions: Gt1948