Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the post above said, the part numbers for MCU2 upgrade all include HW3.

This is irrelevant for me since I have HW3, but I've followed this thread for a while, and I haven't seen this. I've seen other posts of the MCU2 upgrade that mention nothing about HW3 upgrade. Can you provide documentation that the two must go together? (Yes, you can do a HW3 upgrade and not enable FSD, but that strikes me as a s--t ton of money to put into a car with no enforceable plan for ROI, from Tesla's perspective.)

Reactions: Gt1948
This is irrelevant for me since I have HW3, but I've followed this thread for a while, and I haven't seen this. I've seen other posts of the MCU2 upgrade that mention nothing about HW3 upgrade. Can you provide documentation that the two must go together? (Yes, you can do a HW3 upgrade and not enable FSD, but that strikes me as a s--t ton of money to put into a car with no enforceable plan for ROI, from Tesla's perspective.)

We haven’t seen ANY documentation of infotainment upgrade part numbers for AP 2.0 or 2.5 that don’t include HW3. Many many members, including myself, have received MCU2 upgrades that include HW3 WITHOUT purchasing the FSD package (I have EAP).

To my knowledge NOBODY with an AP 2.0 or 2.5 car has confirmed receiving an MCU2 upgrade without HW3 being included.

Take that as you will.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheburashka
I recently complained
Remind them of that. I may move you back up in the queue. We've seen the situation where people passed on MCU2 when getting FSD HW and later when they went back, they got some excuse that was not straight forward, but hinted that they had missed their opportunity and would be waiting a while for another chance.
After months of being put off for an MCU2 upgrade, I finally requested just the HW3 upgrade, which was performed over a month ago. In order to "fix" that increasing problems with my MCU1 (leading me to think it was on its way out), they merely reset my MCU to factory defaults, losing all my settings.

As my MCU problems have continued to grow, I made another service appointment for this coming Monday. Tesla, without prompting, scheduled me for the MCU2 upgrade (since I had requested it months earlier). So that means it will be an MCU2 upgrade on a car that has been previously upgraded to HW3.

I would see than if they can discount ur mcu upgrade since the hw3 is included ;)..I never paid for FSD but I got the HW3 since it came with mcu2

I doubt it. Last we heard once a HW3 unit is installed it is married to the MCU revision. So you can't upgrade to MCU2 from MCU1 if you have HW3. At least not without replacing the HW3 unit as part of the upgrade. (Tesla could have fixed this since that was reported.)

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Gt1948 and P85_DA
We haven’t seen ANY documentation of infotainment upgrade part numbers for AP 2.0 or 2.5 that don’t include HW3. Many many members, including myself, have received MCU2 upgrades that include HW3 WITHOUT purchasing the FSD package (I have EAP).

To my knowledge NOBODY with an AP 2.0 or 2.5 car has confirmed receiving an MCU2 upgrade without HW3 being included.

Take that as you will.

So in my third (!) go around with the folks at the Princeton SC, they are now telling me that HW3 (minus the AP2.0 cameras) is included in the MCU2 upgrade. Hopefully, this answer sticks and this is indeed what gets installed if and when the parts finally arrive.

Assuming the installation goes smoothly, is there a way for those of us with only Basic AP enabled to test whether or not the car is running HW3 hardware with MCU2? Would features like TeslaCam and Sentry become available or are those tied to the FSD and EAP subscriptions?

Assuming the installation goes smoothly, is there a way for those of us with only Basic AP enabled to test whether or not the car is running HW3 hardware with MCU2? Would features like TeslaCam and Sentry become available or are those tied to the FSD and EAP subscriptions?

Yes, Yes, No.

You can view what MCU/AP hardware you have from the "Additional vehicle information" screen: https://www.currentautomotive.com/what-autopilot-hardware-does-your-car-have-its-easy-to-tell-now/#

Just a quick update: I've got my MCU2/HW3 done last Friday. The appointment was postponed 3 times due to parts not available, but it was worth the wait. Tesla in Plano, TX did an excellent job with the install and porting all necessary data. The only things I had to do was to configure the homelink again (naturally, since it is a new/different hardware) and pair up my phone.

Some additional and random observations/glitches:
1) There is no separate volume for music and car-related chimes (such as turn indicators) - this has been mentioned before, so no surprise on my side. It just sounds louder than I am used to.
2) IC screen appears brighter - it is noticeable especially when looking at energy consumption graph. The background directly under the chart stands out from the rest of the screen's background. In the past it was almost the same shade of grey.
3) Base response with default settings (EQ set at 0) than what I have experienced before. I don't have a way to gather any scientific measurements, but I am guessing it has a lot to do with the fact that Tesla parted ways with Dolby Labs and introduced an immersive sound some time back. I don't think it was fully supported/compatible with older hardware, so this probably contributes to the way the music sounds now. Just a speculation, don't take it from me. Either way, the system sounds great (PUP, btw).
4) Arcade - most of the new games that were not compatible with the older computer are showing "Waiting to update". I could not find any solution to this yet, other than seeing some relevant posts on TMC and Tesla forums from people experiencing the same. The car just received 20202.36.3.1 on Saturday and MCU was fully rebooted after, but it didn't change a thing. No biggie, don't care much about the games, but was curious to check them at least once (in case I have a reason to show it off to some youngsters in future :p)
5) Yes, I can finally count the cones and the car responds to traffic lights and signs. It also offers a mild form of entertainment when rendering full-size SUVs as garbage carts (rightfully so!). The 2020.36.3.1 also added a chime when light turns green, in case someone fell asleep behind the wheel. This can be turned off, but I keep it for now until novelty wears out.
6) Every time I open Tesla mobile app it takes some time for car to "wake up". This is new, for sure.
7) When parked at home, the car still prefers to connect to 2.4 GHz WiFi instead of 5 GHz. I haven't had time to tinker around it yet, but as long as it connects it is a non-issue.

Overall, I am very happy with the upgrade. It brought a breath of new life to my "old" car. Web browser is finally able to render the websites I care about. The whole experience interacting with the screen feels more snappy and responsive, for sure.

J...
Some additional and random observations/glitches:
1) There is no separate volume for music and car-related chimes (such as turn indicators) - this has been mentioned before, so no surprise on my side. It just sounds louder than I am used to.

4) Arcade - most of the new games that were not compatible with the older computer are showing "Waiting to update".

6) Every time I open Tesla mobile app it takes some time for car to "wake up". This is new, for sure.

1. Joe mode?
4. Mine did too, eventually they downloaded. Maybe try turning the car off (what and then restarting it? Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off. It took a few days. The games are a bit of a bummer for me. I was sure I'd play them a lot more than I do and they are definitely cool. I guess I need to spend more time in the car.
6. My Model Y is much worse than my S. Is your car in Standby mode?

1. Joe mode?
4. Mine did too, eventually they downloaded. Maybe try turning the car off (what and then restarting it? Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off. It took a few days. The games are a bit of a bummer for me. I was sure I'd play them a lot more than I do and they are definitely cool. I guess I need to spend more time in the car.
6. My Model Y is much worse than my S. Is your car in Standby mode?
Re 1. This could be an option if it becomes really annoying!
Re 4. That's about the only thing I haven't tried. I will wait though, it is not that important. I hope I don't end up spending money on more junk like game controllers :p
Re 6. Nope, no standby mode. Good call though, went to double-check that it is off.

Well I just had the charger port upgraded on my S85 Dec 2014 so that I can use V3 chargers and now the MCU will not update. 4 times they have sent the update to my car and 4 times it hangs at 80%.

No satnav on steering wheel screen or 3G and heating is all messed up. Had to hard boot several times to get the car to be useable.

I'm really hoping the MCU1 has not given up the ghost as £2k + is going to hurt a lot. Isn't it £500 just for the memory chip to be upgraded? Not sure having a faster MCU 2 for an older AP1 car is worth the upgrade although 4G would be nice

I don’t understand why Tesla wouldn’t have to install the upgraded touchscreen for free under warranty. It seems like a warranty issue if the browser no longer works. I drove about 16 hours this last weekend and could really have used a working browser. It was a functional feature when I bought the car. Has anyone had this done under warranty?

I don’t understand why Tesla wouldn’t have to install the upgraded touchscreen for free under warranty. It seems like a warranty issue if the browser no longer works. I drove about 16 hours this last weekend and could really have used a working browser. It was a functional feature when I bought the car. Has anyone had this done under warranty?

Lol they will reboot it and clear the nav history and said you on your way

Reactions: croman