Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Would you mind letting me know which SC? My appointment is on Monday next week, and I would like to mention it to them. The person I talked to at my SC (Superior, CO) is so sure that the $2500 price no longer exists.
I just picked up my vehicle Tuesday for the Infotainment Upgrade, and I was only charged $2250 for the upgrade without a new touchscreen.

Reactions: Gt1948
Did you receive email invite?
Never. I made more than one inquiry on this and related threads for anyone who had, and no one ever said that they received one.

In my case, I tried to schedule the upgrade twice, both times being told that the service center was not ready to do it. Then I started having problems with my MCU1; so I gave eventually up and scheduled a service visit to install HW3 and address my MCU problems, at which they merely performed a factory reset (losing all of my settings and lifetime energy metrics). My MCU problems continued to grow, so I scheduled another visit to have those looked at again, and the service center proposed the Infotainment Upgrade to resolve them. I jumped at the chance.

Would you mind letting me know which SC? My appointment is on Monday next week, and I would like to mention it to them. The person I talked to at my SC (Superior, CO) is so sure that the $2500 price no longer exists.
It's technically $2500 plus taxes. It was $2681 for me in Colorado, including having the screen replaced.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and Gt1948
Never. I made more than one inquiry on this and related threads for anyone who had, and no one ever said that they received one.

In my case, I tried to schedule the upgrade twice, both times being told that the service center was not ready to do it. Then I started having problems with my MCU1; so I gave eventually up and scheduled a service visit to install HW3 and address my MCU problems, at which they merely performed a factory reset (losing all of my settings and lifetime energy metrics). My MCU problems continued to grow, so I scheduled another visit to have those looked at again, and the service center proposed the Infotainment Upgrade to resolve them. I jumped at the chance.
Similarly in my case - I was waiting patiently for an email to arrive (it never did). Then my refurbished replacement MCU started acting up, so I decided to schedule an appointment. I mentioned that I am interested in the paid upgrade of MCU at the same time.

That is correct. But the SC in Superior, CO is saying that pricing ended about a month ago. Did you get it replaced within the last month? If so, which SC?
Mine was 3 months ago. I haven't seen or heard of any updated price other than the $2250 reduced price with no screen swap. Originally, they tried quoting us $2500 plus labor. They also quoted the instrument cluster as an additional charge. We sent them the website link which showed it was $2500 including labor. They charged us the $2500 plus tax.

May be this will help. Taxes are extra.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200918-132151_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20200918-132151_Messages.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Informative
Reactions: Maximus-MX
That is correct. But the SC in Superior, CO is saying that pricing ended about a month ago. Did you get it replaced within the last month? If so, which SC?
See my screen shot above. Technically my install is scheduled only on October 7th, they are delayed by 30/60 days for infotainment upgrades and I created my appointment 30s in advance.. around 09/07.

Reactions: Maximus-MX
Thanks for ht tip. (information sharing is what the Internet is all about!) Sadly, while it helps a little, it falls short of the comparatively spectacular sound of MCU1. :(
This is a deal breaker for me. Sound quality is more important to me than a working browser. My MCU works perfectly fine other than the browser doesn't work anymore.
Lol they will reboot it and clear the nav history and said you on your way
I tried this after you mentioned it. It didn't work.

This is a deal breaker for me. Sound quality is more important to me than a working browser. My MCU works perfectly fine other than the browser doesn't work anymore.
By all means, stick with MCU1, maybe do a little pro-active emmc fix. A little paint now will save a lot of stupid money later on a path you can't return from. FWIW, The browser _still_ doesn't really work - at least not in a useful manner.

By all means, stick with MCU1, maybe do a little pro-active emmc fix. A little paint now will save a lot of stupid money later on a path you can't return from. FWIW, The browser _still_ doesn't really work - at least not in a useful manner.
The browser use to be fine for some things like checking the stock price and weather. I mainly wanted it last week for checking the air quality map. Of course it sucks for online shopping.

I found the sound to be much better with MCU2. Don't let that discourage you. I do not have premium sound in my car. I do not miss MCU1 at all.

I found the sound to be much better with MCU2. Don't let that discourage you. I do not have premium sound in my car. I do not miss MCU1 at all.

FWIW, I had(have?) basic audio, and it went from "OK" to flat and uninteresting. Basic was never "great" but it was pretty darned good for stock. My experience with MCU2 is a such a step backwards. It's as if Tesla spend a lot of time in the beginning working with audio engineers to mate the audio to the speakers to the car - selecting the right amp and settings. And then with MCU2, it's as if they just had a checkbox for "does it make sound? - CHECK" - like there was not thought put into it.

And then with MCU2, it's as if they just had a checkbox for "does it make sound? - CHECK" - like there was not thought put into it.

I am going to use this now to gauge my performance in bed. "Does she make sound?" (Check) LOL

FWIW, with the premium sound, I find the immersive sound of the MCU2 better than the Dolby of the MCU1. My teenage son and his friends also appreciate the heavy bass while he listens to his terrible terrible music while we drive.