Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 S is in the SC right now for the MCU2 upgrade (as well as getting the FSD upgrade). Thanks to all for the information in this thread -- I've been reading it from when the upgrade was still a wish. I would have done the upgrade sooner but I fretted over losing the FM radio. I finally decided to go ahead with the upgrade when I realized I used FM once in 3 months.

A data point to add. I did the MCU2 upgrade on our 2014 P85+ and daughterboard upgrade on our 2015 70D.
The web browser also worked after the daughterboard upgrade (attached), albeit significantly slower than the MCU2 upgrade.
Navigation seems a little faster, but not very much.
Switching between the two cars for the everyday commute, I often forgot which MCU I was using.
So, I personally think that the daughterboard upgrade is a great deal ($320).
I also think that the MCU2 upgrade is a great deal ($2500) and happy with both.
As to bang for the buck, I would say that the daughterboard swap is the way to go (at least for now).

Attachments

• h2ugJ3blTQKAoh8vnruTWw_thumb_c680.jpg
    h2ugJ3blTQKAoh8vnruTWw_thumb_c680.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 137
A data point to add. I did the MCU2 upgrade on our 2014 P85+ and daughterboard upgrade on our 2015 70D.
The web browser also worked after the daughterboard upgrade (attached), albeit significantly slower than the MCU2 upgrade.
Navigation seems a little faster, but not very much.
Switching between the two cars for the everyday commute, I often forgot which MCU I was using.
So, I personally think that the daughterboard upgrade is a great deal ($320).
I also think that the MCU2 upgrade is a great deal ($2500) and happy with both.
As to bang for the buck, I would say that the daughterboard swap is the way to go (at least for now).

Web browser always works after a reboot or update. It usually dies after a day

Reactions: Gt1948
It seems the daughter board replacement is the best option for pre HW 2.0. (If you don’t care about the games and Netflix.)

MCU2 upgrade seems like the best option for HW 2.0+ vehicles in order to take more advantage of the cameras.

I tend to agree. Just got a message saying the SeC will agree to replace my board, even though they say it is "Fine" per remote diagnosis. They say parts in stock in time for my rescheduled app on 21 October. I will pay about 500. Under warranty should not have to pay, but trying to help build goodwill, and maybe get a techs number for future problems.

I tend to agree. Just got a message saying the SeC will agree to replace my board, even though they say it is "Fine" per remote diagnosis. They say parts in stock in time for my rescheduled app on 21 October. I will pay about 500. Under warranty should not have to pay, but trying to help build goodwill, and maybe get a techs number for future problems.

That's a good result. I got the opposite response - told me they won't replace mine unless its failed. Not a warranty claim and I was willing to pay.

Evidently they are unable to allocate parts if it hasn't already failed as they already have too many to do which have failed. Big push to sell me an upgrade to MCU2 or alternatively a reconditioned MCU1 though - either of which I can have right away.

Told me to come back in a couple of months if it doesn't fail in the meantime, or if I want it doing right away talk to a third party instead.

• Informative
Reactions: RedOctober
That's a good result. I got the opposite response - told me they won't replace mine unless its failed. Not a warranty claim and I was willing to pay.

Evidently they are unable to allocate parts if it hasn't already failed as they already have too many to do which have failed. Big push to sell me an upgrade to MCU2 or alternatively a reconditioned MCU1 though - either of which I can have right away.

Told me to come back in a couple of months if it doesn't fail in the meantime, or if I want it doing right away talk to a third party instead.

I pulled a few tricks I think to get them to agree to do the work. One was cancelling the appt, another was to reschedule a few weeks out to get the part.

Of course YSCMV. Your Service Center May Vary.

I have a dozen SeC's within two hour drive, and not afraid to switch to get my car the service it deserves.

Hard to believe Tesla is telling folks to go third party!

Elon needs to hire someone to be VP of support.

That shocked me too.

I very much got the impression that the low cost eMMC replacement is something they really don't want to offer unless they have to, hence pushing the more expensive solutions instead.

I have made a report to the Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency (the UK equivalent to NHTSA in the US) as regardless of cost and who pays, this should be a recall issue in any event. The DVSA have confirmed they are aware of the issue and like the NHTSA are looking into it.

good to know. Sorted freaked me a bit while at a red light and had to reboot the mcu.

On the MCU2, the IC is just a second display connected to the MCU so it's just one system to reboot. With the older MCU1, they were two separate systems so rebooting the MCU would not reboot the IC.

Yep, with MCU2 the IC is just a second monitor instead of a separate computer.