Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the MCU upgrade scheduled in a couple weeks for my 2012 Signature Model S. Looks like they're trying to charge me for labor. I said the website on the Infotainment upgrade specifically states the $2500 includes installation. SC said look again and that the information on the website has been updated. I just went back to the website and it still says the $2500 includes installation and I just informed them of that and asked that it be honored. We'll see how this plays out.

SC is also charging me a Rear Camera "HSD" Jumper. Has anyone else with a pre-AP Model S been charged for labor and a camera jumper?

IMG_2077.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and FlatSix911
I have the MCU upgrade scheduled in a couple weeks for my 2012 Signature Model S. Looks like they're trying to charge me for labor. I said the website on the Infotainment upgrade specifically states the $2500 includes installation. SC said look again and that the information on the website has been updated. I just went back to the website and it still says the $2500 includes installation and I just informed them of that and asked that it be honored. We'll see how this plays out.

SC is also charging me a Rear Camera "HSD" Jumper. Has anyone else with a pre-AP Model S been charged for labor and a camera jumper?

View attachment 596596

They just changed it to $2500 + tax.

My Model S is in service right now for this upgrade. SC is saying the car is having a hard time taking the software update necessary. My car had the HW3 FSD upgrade done prior to the MCU upgrade. Anyone encounter something similar that might shed light on what's happening?

Did anyone hear that the warranty for the parts installed on this upgrade is valid only for 1 yr. I had my appointment yesterday and my SC Service Rep told me that its only 1 yr.

Yes, sometime between June 16th and July 1st, 2020 they quietly changed their warranty. It WAS 4 years. I had mine done on June 1st, and made a full screen copy of their warranty page for my records (just in case they tried to say something else in the future).

BTW, for those who didn't make a screen copy and had their work done before the above time period, you can use the WayBack Machine to bring up Tesla's warranty page from June 15th, 2020 (or earlier) to prove what they said the warranty was when you paid for it / had it done. They cannot remove a stipulated warranty after-the-fact...

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-9_9-43-56.png
    upload_2020-10-9_9-43-56.png
    492.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
So glad that I checked out this thread. Our MCU is dying (again!), this time out of warranty. We were trying to decide if we replace it with an MCU1 ($1200, one year warranty), MCU2 ($2500, four year warranty), or pull the MCU ourselves and have a third-party upgrade the eMMC. Learning that the MCU1 and MCU2 replacements from Tesla now have the same lackluster one year warranty is definitely relevant to our decision.

• Disagree
Reactions: GSP and rob4448585
So glad that I checked out this thread. Our MCU is dying (again!), this time out of warranty. We were trying to decide if we replace it with an MCU1 ($1200, one year warranty), MCU2 ($2500, four year warranty), or pull the MCU ourselves and have a third-party upgrade the eMMC. Learning that the MCU1 and MCU2 replacements from Tesla now have the same lackluster one year warranty is definitely relevant to our decision.

MCU2 doesnt have a 4 year warranty anymore. They lowered it to 2 i think or 1

Got the car back last night and everything is great. All my settings were carried forward. As expected I did need to reprogram both Homelinks (although the garage doors were still listed, they no longer did anything when pressed). The only thing I read about that didn't happen is converting my saved FM stations to Tunein favorites, so I did that manually.

It is nice that my S now matches everything my X has, including Sentry and Dashcam.

Doesn't your X have a radio??

Tesla won't upgrade the chip for half the price anymore??

Be sure to see if Tesla can swap out the daughterboard/eMMC. I believe that is a ~$500 repair.

In May I requested a combo upgrade for my 2017 Model S, AP3 and infotainment. I was told I would have to wait for infotainment parts, so I got my AP3 upgrade done by itself in July. Right after that I requested the infotainment upgrade and was told 6-10 weeks for parts, and we'll let you know when they're in.

Of course, I never heard anything back, so last week I once again put in a request through the app for the infotainment upgrade. I got the same auto-response via text message. I responded to that, pointing out I had gotten the same response over two months ago and never heard back. Shortly after that, I got a communication in the mailbox of my app, saying they had parts and I should schedule service. So I did. Supposedly they are coming to do this on Wednesday via Mobile Service.

From what I'm hearing here, it's possible that they still don't have parts for my specific situation and perhaps the Tesla person who scheduled me doesn't understand that. We shall see, probably Wednesday.

Reactions: Country Roads
In May I requested a combo upgrade for my 2017 Model S, AP3 and infotainment. I was told I would have to wait for infotainment parts, so I got my AP3 upgrade done by itself in July. Right after that I requested the infotainment upgrade and was told 6-10 weeks for parts, and we'll let you know when they're in.

Of course, I never heard anything back, so last week I once again put in a request through the app for the infotainment upgrade. I got the same auto-response via text message. I responded to that, pointing out I had gotten the same response over two months ago and never heard back. Shortly after that, I got a communication in the mailbox of my app, saying they had parts and I should schedule service. So I did. Supposedly they are coming to do this on Wednesday via Mobile Service.

From what I'm hearing here, it's possible that they still don't have parts for my specific situation and perhaps the Tesla person who scheduled me doesn't understand that. We shall see, probably Wednesday.

I had scheduled my appointment 35 days out, in couple of days after the scheduling there was message from service advisor @ SC that they need to order parts and it could take 30-60 days, I told them I will wait for the components and asked them to change to the appointment to when the parts will be available. that seems to have done the trick , there were couple of back and forth on the cost etc.. I gave them I was ready for it and they had it ready for install when I went in for service.

Good luck. I also got the "parts are now available" invitation to schedule, my Monday appointment was cancelled last night because...you guessed it....parts are unavailable. I sent a tweet to Elon, it made me feel better ;)

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and croman