Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No my S100D (FSD) built late 2017 have MCU1.
And because SC first upgrade HW2.5 to HW3, they said now cannot upgrade with MCU2 !!.
There is nothing technically that prevents upgrading a car to MCU2 after it had been previously upgraded to HW3. I know this because my car was upgraded with HW3 over a month before MCU2 was installed in my car.

And because SC first upgrade HW2.5 to HW3, they said now cannot upgrade with MCU2 !!
Good process is first MCU1 to MCU2 and after HW2 or HW2.5 to HW3.

There is nothing technically that prevents upgrading a car to MCU2 after it had been previously upgraded to HW3. I know this because my car was upgraded with HW3 over a month before MCU2 was installed in my car.

I got HW3 installed a few months ago and I’m currently waiting on arrival of parts for the MCU2 upgrade.. Not sure why they’re telling you it can’t be done..

Just a quick update: I've got my MCU2/HW3 done last Friday. The appointment was postponed 3 times due to parts not available, but it was worth the wait. Tesla in Plano, TX did an excellent job with the install and porting all necessary data. The only things I had to do was to configure the homelink again (naturally, since it is a new/different hardware) and pair up my phone.

Some additional and random observations/glitches:
1) There is no separate volume for music and car-related chimes (such as turn indicators) - this has been mentioned before, so no surprise on my side. It just sounds louder than I am used to.
2) IC screen appears brighter - it is noticeable especially when looking at energy consumption graph. The background directly under the chart stands out from the rest of the screen's background. In the past it was almost the same shade of grey.
3) Base response with default settings (EQ set at 0) than what I have experienced before. I don't have a way to gather any scientific measurements, but I am guessing it has a lot to do with the fact that Tesla parted ways with Dolby Labs and introduced an immersive sound some time back. I don't think it was fully supported/compatible with older hardware, so this probably contributes to the way the music sounds now. Just a speculation, don't take it from me. Either way, the system sounds great (PUP, btw).
4) Arcade - most of the new games that were not compatible with the older computer are showing "Waiting to update". I could not find any solution to this yet, other than seeing some relevant posts on TMC and Tesla forums from people experiencing the same. The car just received 20202.36.3.1 on Saturday and MCU was fully rebooted after, but it didn't change a thing. No biggie, don't care much about the games, but was curious to check them at least once (in case I have a reason to show it off to some youngsters in future :p)
5) Yes, I can finally count the cones and the car responds to traffic lights and signs. It also offers a mild form of entertainment when rendering full-size SUVs as garbage carts (rightfully so!). The 2020.36.3.1 also added a chime when light turns green, in case someone fell asleep behind the wheel. This can be turned off, but I keep it for now until novelty wears out.
6) Every time I open Tesla mobile app it takes some time for car to "wake up". This is new, for sure.
7) When parked at home, the car still prefers to connect to 2.4 GHz WiFi instead of 5 GHz. I haven't had time to tinker around it yet, but as long as it connects it is a non-issue.

Overall, I am very happy with the upgrade. It brought a breath of new life to my "old" car. Web browser is finally able to render the websites I care about. The whole experience interacting with the screen feels more snappy and responsive, for sure.

Model S 75D 2017. 34K miles. Version 2020.40.8. I just got mcu2+HW3 (SC Fremont). QUESTION: I think I'm seeing faster battery drain. Do you? Thank you!

And because SC first upgrade HW2.5 to HW3, they said now cannot upgrade with MCU2 !!
Good process is first MCU1 to MCU2 and after HW2 or HW2.5 to HW3.

I currently have the MCU2 Infotainment Upgrade scheduled for next Thursday. My car had HW3 installed (unplanned "Hey since your car is already here we'll install the FSD computer, ok?) back in May while I had it at the SC for other unrelated work.

When I tried to schedule the Infotainment Upgrade the following week through the SC it was rejected, much to the surprise of the Service department. The SC was told that "There is an issue when attempting to install an MCU2 in a MCU1 car after HW3 has been installed. We hope to have a fix by the first part of Q4."

The SC told me to attempt to schedule the Infotainment Upgrade via the phone app. After being rejected a couple of times, the upgrade appointment was finally accepted earlier this month.

Where did you obtain your MCU2upgrade ( SC) ?
I am Interested to know the procedure used because my SC in France said they don’t have procédure to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 if HW3 already installed ;)

Where did you obtain your MCU2upgrade ( SC) ?
Brentwood, TN (Nashville).
I am Interested to know the procedure used because my SC in France said they don’t have procédure to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 if HW3 already installed ;)
I am not privy to what procedures were used on the vehicle, especially with "touchless service", in which customers have no interaction with service staff—not even seeing another human being in the drop-off and pick-up transfers—including lack of response to questions via text in response to texted instructions.

• Informative
Reactions: CHL
Took it back to the store and got into a little argument with the service rep. He said they don't touch the IC screen. We ended up going back and forth for awhile until I asked him to sit down and look at it. Then he said, "that looks pretty bad."

He took it back for the techs to look at and they ended up....removing plastic tape. I didn't get to see them do this but I'm 99.9% sure the tape was on the back side of the screen. When the rep came back he had to make up a story of why the tape was there since he clearly was wrong on his original feedback. I let him save faced since I'm just happy that everything looks good as new again.

Thanks for your help!