Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took it back to the store and got into a little argument with the service rep. He said they don't touch the IC screen. We ended up going back and forth for awhile until I asked him to sit down and look at it. Then he said, "that looks pretty bad."

He took it back for the techs to look at and they ended up....removing plastic tape. I didn't get to see them do this but I'm 99.9% sure the tape was on the back side of the screen. When the rep came back he had to make up a story of why the tape was there since he clearly was wrong on his original feedback. I let him save faced since I'm just happy that everything looks good as new again.

Thanks for your help!

The lack of correct information coming from Tesla service reps is unfortunate... they need better training and management.

Got my MCU 2 upgrade back on my classic pre-AP Signature Model S today. Took only a day to do. I asked for the radio upgrade, but was told it was currently unavailable.

One small hiccup at contactless pickup. I didn’t bring my second key fob thinking I could open the car with the app. Well, they forgot to turn on remote access so I could not get in. Thankfully some folks were there and they found some back door access and retrieved the key fob they locked in the car.

MCU is very snappy. IC resolution is much sharper (or maybe it’s just clean :)). Have to play with it a little more, but I have to say, while expensive, my early impression is that I’m impressed. Great update for an 8-year old car!
5FAEA20C-032C-44D1-B327-040006BFA6C7.jpeg

Got my MCU 2 upgrade back on my classic pre-AP Signature Model S today. Took only a day to do. I asked for the radio upgrade, but was told it was currently unavailable.

One small hiccup at contactless pickup. I didn’t bring my second key fob thinking I could open the car with the app. Well, they forgot to turn on remote access so I could not get in. Thankfully some folks were there and they found some back door access and retrieved the key fob they locked in the car.

MCU is very snappy. IC resolution is much sharper (or maybe it’s just clean :)). Have to play with it a little more, but I have to say, while expensive, my early impression is that I’m impressed. Great update for an 8-year old car!View attachment 602225

Not to disappoint you about this, but according to your photos the screen looks slightly misfitted if you follow the lines of the bezel.

Well after more then six months finally dropped my S off in Orlando for the upgrade. At least 6 to 7 days to complete!:eek:
Model Y loaner. :)
So an update...
It went much faster then 6 or 7 days. Dropped it off early last Friday morning and Saturday I get a text saying it was ready. Of course I couldn't pick it up until Monday. I'm extremely pleased with the update and glad I did it. Voice commands and the web browser actually work again. The new FSD visualizations are nice too. Here's hoping the beta FSD goes wide soon.

One thing I noticed on the loaner Y was that the reverse camera also brought up the side cameras. Anyone have a theory why that isn't on the S or did I miss a setting?

So an update...
It went much faster then 6 or 7 days. Dropped it off early last Friday morning and Saturday I get a text saying it was ready. Of course I couldn't pick it up until Monday. I'm extremely pleased with the update and glad I did it. Voice commands and the web browser actually work again. The new FSD visualizations are nice too. Here's hoping the beta FSD goes wide soon.

One thing I noticed on the loaner Y was that the reverse camera also brought up the side cameras. Anyone have a theory why that isn't on the S or did I miss a setting?

This should work after the mcu2 upgrade

• Informative
Reactions: MrShakeHands
I have had "IT" with Tesla, both of my screens started bubbling as soon as the warranty expired. I could overlook that, thinking it was some kind of a screen protector issue. Then it started LEAKING some kind of fluid out of the bottom and sides. Turns out that Mr. Musk knew about this problem before I even purchased the vehicle in October of 2015. Window sticker was $143,560.00. I was dumb enough to pay cash, otherwise I would have just taken it back and told them to shove it. Now they want me to pay $2,500 for 2 new screens. This car has only 37k miles on it, never abused, no accidents, not smoked in, but I'm DONE with Tesla's shitty attitude so make me an offer. Screens will be installed next week. This is a p90d Ludicrous Plus. Very fast. I am also cancelling my orders for 2 Cybertrucks if anybody wants to take my place instead of trying to get my deposit back from these cheap bastids.

I have had "IT" with Tesla, both of my screens started bubbling as soon as the warranty expired. I could overlook that, thinking it was some kind of a screen protector issue. Then it started LEAKING some kind of fluid out of the bottom and sides. Turns out that Mr. Musk knew about this problem before I even purchased the vehicle in October of 2015. Window sticker was $143,560.00. I was dumb enough to pay cash, otherwise I would have just taken it back and told them to shove it. Now they want me to pay $2,500 for 2 new screens. This car has only 37k miles on it, never abused, no accidents, not smoked in, but I'm DONE with Tesla's shitty attitude so make me an offer. Screens will be installed next week. This is a p90d Ludicrous Plus. Very fast. I am also cancelling my orders for 2 Cybertrucks if anybody wants to take my place instead of trying to get my deposit back from these cheap bastids.
Seven years. One problem out of warranty. Just don't buy an ICE car.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I already have a boat that is called a yacht with two huge NASTY DIESEL ENGINES THAT BURN 45 GALLONS an hours but guess what?
None of my FISHFINDERS, RADARS, GPS OR ENGINE MANAGEMENT (YES THAT IS PART OF THE SHIPS DRIVE TRAIN)...NONE OF THE SCREENS ARE OOZING JIZ ALL PLACE.

I love the SAAB. Is she for sale?
I hope the Last car I will own. So no plan to sell. - bought 1 year old and after 30 years still one of the best autos built/designed IMHO. 1976=>1999 in Sweden I think. (US 1978-1998).
GM bought, did refresh (made car smaller SAAB 93). I think this particular 900 people would still buy - seems you may know why.

Except those who deem refresh = progress. not me.
IF you come to Bainbridge, perhaps I can give you a ride. :D

PS- does still have a few dents

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911