Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that got the mcu2 upgrade... Did you get charged for labor on the invoice?
Mine is showing over $200 in labor...
Just had mine done a few days ago. No labor.

Attachments

• E3260F01-A2ED-4158-BDC5-DF61C3386E82.jpeg
    E3260F01-A2ED-4158-BDC5-DF61C3386E82.jpeg
    494.5 KB · Views: 87
@Vegas, Yes, its marginal. The message is intended as a warning that your MCU1 eMMC is bad, not going to get better and is closer to simply dying than behaving as it did when the car is new. I hedge my bets by suggesting its bad or worse, because I know nothing of your car's history,. We've seen many. The warning is new, and we think because some people are being blind sided by failed eMMCs.

And some people that respond to the message by doing as it directs 'schedule service" are being told, naw, it's not failing - it will be okay. We don't believe it is okay. But they are being stalled because there's a parts supply problem, so they are only doing those cars that are actually failing and won't move.

I am glad for you that you are getting MCU2. Its worth it. And it future proofs your car from all these type problems. Let us know what you think, once you have it back and are driving it, please. We still need to convince many more people that are fence sitters.

Does this message mean MCU1 is now maxed out - faulty?

It means you eMMC is degraded. It has not failed yet. And in theory if it gets worse your MCU will go into a fail-safe mode where it sets lights and HVAC to auto, the screen will only display the backup camera, etc.

And some people that respond to the message by doing as it directs 'schedule service" are being told, naw, it's not failing - it will be okay.

Really? I haven't seen anyone report getting that message on the screen and then being told by Tesla that everything is OK. (It is mostly people that got the email talking about the extended warranty that then call to get service and are told nope, your car is still OK.)

Maybe I'll be offered a discount on MCU2?

The way I read it the reimbursement was only for people that had Tesla diagnosis the MCU1 as bad, but then chose to go with the Infotainment Upgrade either because the MCU1 parts weren't available for repair, or it was so expensive as they just opted to spend the extra few hundred dollars to get the MCU2. (i.e. only for people that did it before the "warranty adjustment program" was announced.)

Reactions: Akikiki
Thanks MP3Mike and Akikiki.

Maybe I'll be offered a discount on MCU2? - I'm going ahead in any case - plan to keep car for another 5 years, so I'm future proofing.

2015 MS, MCU1/AP1, P90D
@Vegas, Why would they offer you a discount? I've seen no reports here from anyone - anywhere that they extended a discount for that message. By all means, ask. But don't be disappointed if they don't.

Why would they offer you a discount? I've seen no reports here from anyone - anywhere that they extended a discount for that message. By all means, ask. But don't be disappointed if they don't.

My rationale was that, if MCU1 needs to be replaced under warranty it would cost Tesla $x. So perhaps they may charge me MCU2 - $x.

Probably not, and like I said earlier, I'm going ahead with it anyway ($4,000 AUD) - I'll ask though.

My rationale was that, if MCU1 needs to be replaced under warranty it would cost Tesla $x. So perhaps they may charge me MCU2 - $x.

Probably not, and like I said earlier, I'm going ahead with it anyway ($4,000 AUD) - I'll ask though.
Your rationale is fine, but it's not what they do. Lots of people have asked, or demanded, or jumped up and down and held their breath until they turned blue.

Reactions: Fiver
Hey everyone. Sorry I haven't read every post in this thread but just tried to catch up on the last few pages...I have one of the configurations of Model S that was NOT able to be upgraded up until recently (AP 1.0, no power lift gate). I just checked the Tesla infotainment upgrade page and the little chart showing which cars are eligible is missing. I'm hoping this means my car is eligible now...has anyone with this configuration gotten their infotainment computer upgraded?

Hey everyone. Sorry I haven't read every post in this thread but just tried to catch up on the last few pages...I have one of the configurations of Model S that was NOT able to be upgraded up until recently (AP 1.0, no power lift gate). I just checked the Tesla infotainment upgrade page and the little chart showing which cars are eligible is missing. I'm hoping this means my car is eligible now...has anyone with this configuration gotten their infotainment computer upgraded?
Just reach out to your SC and ask

• Funny
Reactions: KArnold
As we predicted... Tesla may now be forced to do the right thing for its customers. :cool:
NHTSA asks Tesla to recall Model S and Model X over MCU fiasco - Electrek

"Last year, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said that it has launched an official investigation into the matter. A few months later, Tesla finally officially acknowledged the eMMC failure with its touchscreen and offered an extended warranty.

The move wasn’t welcomed by all Tesla owners as many thought that it didn’t go far enough in addressing what is seen by many as an important defect.Considering there are many important functions that can only be accessed through the touchscreen/MCU in Tesla vehicles, NHTSA was looking into the matter as a potential safety issue, and despite Tesla’s warranty change, the agency was still considering a recall.

Official data released by Tesla to NTHSA showed that the failure rate of the MCU for Model S and Model X was as high as 30% in certain build months. Furthermore, we have received may reports from owners who have had difficulties making Tesla actually change or repair their MCUs under the new warranty since the announcement – leading for many owners to call for a recall."

As we predicted... Tesla may now be forced to do the right thing for its customers. :cool:

Well, NHTSA has asked Tesla to do a recall. But they didn't even suggest what that recall should entail. So Tesla could issue a recall that was only to install the same software version most people are already running. It would essentially just be a snail-mail campaign asking people to install the new software and tracking who has and who hasn't. One side-effect of that is that people that have held on to V8 could likely get upgraded to the current version for free, while I think Tesla is currently charging for that privilege. (The latest version is supposed to reduce wear and has a fail-safe mode that is supposed to help mitigate the safety related issues.)

Of course it seems that it hasn't really been working as well as I would have hoped, but it might work differently depending on which of the three eMMC chips are in a particular MCU. So I suppose they could refine the software to have a better fail-safe mode and then issue that as a recall. NHTSA might not be happy with that and request further remediation.

It seems to me that a full recall, replacing the Tegra daughterboard, wouldn't really cost much more than the current "warranty adjustment program" that Tesla is currently offering. (It would likely only remove the age/mileage limit and probably allow, or require, pro-active replacements.)

So it will be interesting to see where things go from here.

Tesla has the choice to do the recall as requested, or they have until January 27th to respond as to why they don't have to perform a recall.

Here is the complete letter from NHTSA: MCU Recall Request INRM-EA20003-11321.pdf

"ODI tentatively concludes that the subject MY 2012-2018 Tesla Model S and MY 2016-2018 Model X vehicles contain a defect related to motor vehicle safety. The failure rate in this investigation is significantly greater than the failure rate for vehicles involved in prior recalls involving similar behavior. ODI’s analysis of the data demonstrates that the number of failures of the media control unit (MCU) will steadily increase over time until all parts in the subject vehicles have failed."

"If Tesla decides not to conduct the requested recall, it must provide ODI with a full explanation of its decision, including any additional analysis of the problem beyond Tesla’s past presentations. If not satisfied after consideration of this information, the Agency may proceed to publish in the Federal Register an Initial Decision that these vehicles contain a safety-related defect, describing the alleged safety defects, the safety consequences of these defects, the ODI investigation, and the scheduling of a public meeting pursuant to 49 U.S.C. § 30118, and may take other appropriate action."

With a 158,000 Model S/X vehicles now requiring some kind of service (less those already fixed), Tesla service is going to be slammed once they start this. This is going to hurt those without the problem.

I don't think it'll make much difference. Honda has been extremely aggressive about their takata recall and yet there are still millions of the defective airbags out there.

Tesla's got a leg up in that they can just identify the car / owner in their online records, but that doesn't mean they need to get all those cars through the mill in a 6 month period. I think these recalls have performance metrics the mfgr has to meet to avoid consequences, and those are (I suspect) negotiated.

I got a 2016 used in 2018 and it had both the takata airbags and the aluminum bolt recalls pending when I took possession of the car.

I suspect this will just cause tesla to move forward their service center expansion plans by 1-2 months. If the goal is to 2x growth of sales every year, they'll need to be 1.3xing their service centers at the same rate while improving quality (or 1.8xing service center growth while burning brand equity until everyone on the planet hates tesla..., or 2.5xing service center growth and burning profits until everything's off the b2b warranty then making audi levels of revenue off of the recurring leaking cam seal / broken timing chain tensioners from their crappy quality)