Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Directed to no one in particular.

ts funny how things are relative to some number we put in our own heads. I've seen people here say, they would buy the MCU2 upgrade if it were a little cheaper or if they got a discount. The $2500 was not a number we could compare parts and arrive at based on the number of parts or amount of work to make it and then decide for ourselves its too much, just right or a bargain.

People want a discount. Its often simply the statement that they got a discount, and didn't pay "retail" seems to satisfy them. Funny thing is, if Tesla has first introduced it at $3600 or $4,000 then started allowing SCs to "discount it", or reduced its price, everyone will be happy - happier and Tesla would likely sell more with less hesitation on owners' part.

I admit for some people its about the total amount of the money. And others - they just want a discount. To say they got a discount. Everybody wants a better deal than the other guy got. Would the $2500 price tag be a good deal to you if had first heard it was going to be $3500, then they announced it with a cheaper price - the $2500? Every time I have read that someone got MCU2 then told us, they are so very pleased. Its worth more than the $2500, I think it was a bargain at $2500 already.

Last edited:

ts funny how things are relative to some number we put in our own heads. I've seen people here say, they would buy the MCU2 upgrade if it were a little cheaper or if they got a discount. The $2500 was not a number we could compare and arrive at based on the number of parts or amount of work to make it and then decide for ourselves its too much, just right or a bargain.

People want a discount. Its often simply the statement that they got a discount, and didn't pay "retail" seems to satisfy them. Funny thing is, if Tesla has first introduced it at $3600 or $4,000 then started allowing SCs to "discount it", or reduced its price, everyone will be happy - happier and Tesla would sell more.

I admit for some people its about the total amount of the money. And others - they just want a discount. To say they got a discount. Everybody wants a better deal than the other guy got. Would the $2500 price tag be a good deal to you if had first heard it was going to be $3500, then they announced it with a cheaper price - the $2500? Every time I have read that someone got MCU2 then told us, they are so very pleased. Its worth more than the $2500, I think it was a bargain at $2500 already.
Its a very good point but to me, $2500 is a bit much. For me, its just for added netflix and youtube. I dont care about the games or the web browser. Sure the sytem is faster but I was fine with it before it started acting up. I remember the time voice commands worked flawlessly. That is really what I care about.

My chip is failing and its starting to become quite annoying and slow.

ts funny how things are relative to some number we put in our own heads. I've seen people here say, they would buy the MCU2 upgrade if it were a little cheaper or if they got a discount. The $2500 was not a number we could compare parts and arrive at based on the number of parts or amount of work to make it and then decide for ourselves its too much, just right or a bargain.

People want a discount. Its often simply the statement that they got a discount, and didn't pay "retail" seems to satisfy them. Funny thing is, if Tesla has first introduced it at $3600 or $4,000 then started allowing SCs to "discount it", or reduced its price, everyone will be happy - happier and Tesla would likely sell more with less hesitation on owners' part.

I'm in the category of people who felt $2,500 was too much. I also feel that $3,600-$4,000 is WAY too much. Had Tesla released it at $2,000 and I found a way to get it for $1,500 I would still feel as though it wasn't worth it for my AP1 cars. I might consider it at $1k or below but the advantages just aren't worth that much money. To me.

Moral: everyone thinks different and assuming you know what "everyone" is thinking based on your assumptions is dangerous.

Everybody was happy with vanilla when it worked great. The someone poured chocolate syrup on top and it was better for many. Yep, I was happy with my '13 and my '17 until the chip started acting up. I surely hoped it would hold out until MCU2 was available. (It was promised to us in Oct '18 and not delivered until Feb/Mar '20). I would have continued to be happy with vanilla if someone had never showed and let me taste chocolate syrup on it. Everybody has their own reasons for doing or not doing the upgrade. I respect that. It requires no justification for their own decisions. I'm just saying if you can, you won't later regret it as a poor decision.

In regards to a discount, there is also this...

Clearly the eMMC / Software issue was a design flaw. So wanting a discount is now just about personally getting a better deal, it's the sense that Tesla should lose money for making the design mistake. I believe that people would be more willing to take the upgrade if they knew that Tesla was offering it at a loss.

I was in this camp until recently. I thought it would make sense to wait to see how FSD panned out, so that we could really see if IC1 could take it, or whether they would have to begrudgingly upgrade all of the MCU1/FSD people. But at the end of the day, with possible eMMC action, I don't want to wait until they have free service capacity to deal with this. But oh well, if Tesla won't pay for my upgrade, TSLA will...

Its a very good point but to me, $2500 is a bit much. For me, its just for added netflix and youtube. I dont care about the games or the web browser. Sure the sytem is faster but I was fine with it before it started acting up. I remember the time voice commands worked flawlessly. That is really what I care about.

My chip is failing and its starting to become quite annoying and slow.
Then just get the eMMC board

I'm in the category of people who felt $2,500 was too much. I also feel that $3,600-$4,000 is WAY too much. Had Tesla released it at $2,000 and I found a way to get it for $1,500 I would still feel as though it wasn't worth it for my AP1 cars. I might consider it at $1k or below but the advantages just aren't worth that much money. To me.

Moral: everyone thinks different and assuming you know what "everyone" is thinking based on your assumptions is dangerous.
Many years ago I paid $6000 for a rather insipid MCU Nav system in a new Audi..

Everybody was happy with vanilla when it worked great. The someone poured chocolate syrup on top and it was better for many. Yep, I was happy with my '13 and my '17 until the chip started acting up. I surely hoped it would hold out until MCU2 was available. (It was promised to us in Oct '18 and not delivered until Feb/Mar '20). I would have continued to be happy with vanilla if someone had never showed and let me taste chocolate syrup on it. Everybody has their own reasons for doing or not doing the upgrade. I respect that. It requires no justification for their own decisions. I'm just saying if you can, you won't later regret it as a poor decision.

I think the main problem here is that as Telsa introduced chocolate to the vanilla they also poured diarrhea on those who were fine with plain vanilla via "upgrades" to include farts and games that nobody uses, like many other "upgrades" they force upon us. These "upgrades" soaked up the hardware resources that vanilla was based on. Don't believe me? Remember when the browser actually worked? Most don't because it's been so long but once it did... flawlessly. Same hardware. Nothing changed.

I find it hilarious that some on here insist in arguing over how much diarrhea is acceptable on their vanilla.

If they could have kept vanilla, vanilla nobody would have cared and those who wanted $2,500 could have had it and everyone would have been happy. You say pretty emphatically that there's no possible way people who upgrade to MCU2 will regret it but if you look around there's a LOT of people who are unhappy with their $2,500 investment to upgrade to MCU2 due to a failure to deliver upon the goods they were promised in the form of bugs and even sacrificed "features" they had with their MCU1. It's not all roses the way your post insinuates is all I'm trying to say.

Reactions: Akikiki
Take me down to the ship and keel haul me.

yarr-matey-i-be-a-pirate

• Funny
Reactions: bmah and Akikiki
I think the main problem here is that as Telsa introduced chocolate to the vanilla they also poured diarrhea on those who were fine with plain vanilla via "upgrades" to include farts and games that nobody uses, like many other "upgrades" they force upon us. These "upgrades" soaked up the hardware resources that vanilla was based on. Don't believe me? Remember when the browser actually worked? Most don't because it's been so long but once it did... flawlessly. Same hardware. Nothing changed.

I find it hilarious that some on here insist in arguing over how much diarrhea is acceptable on their vanilla.

If they could have kept vanilla, vanilla nobody would have cared and those who wanted $2,500 could have had it and everyone would have been happy. You say pretty emphatically that there's no possible way people who upgrade to MCU2 will regret it but if you look around there's a LOT of people who are unhappy with their $2,500 investment to upgrade to MCU2 due to a failure to deliver upon the goods they were promised in the form of bugs and even sacrificed "features" they had with their MCU1. It's not all roses the way your post insinuates is all I'm trying to say.
The browser has always been slow. Hard to tell if it's gotten worse over the years since I stopped trying to use it after a few months.