Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dormant was indeed the wrong word lol. I was more referring to the actual Full Self Driving feature being inactive, but ready to go once the owner decided to cough up the $10k or whatever it'll cost further down the line. Good to know that you still get the extra visualizations even without the FSD features being active!

Furthermore the HW3 computer should bring all current and future perception and pathing improvements to the EAP feature suite going forward even if it doesn’t provide FSD functionality. The visualizations are just icing on the cake.

Reactions: fcastrillo86
Dormant was indeed the wrong word lol. I was more referring to the actual Full Self Driving feature being inactive, but ready to go once the owner decided to cough up the $10k or whatever it'll cost further down the line. Good to know that you still get the extra visualizations even without the FSD features being active!

Well I do have EAP on my Tesla. EAP is pretty much FSD right now unless you are one of Early Access folks. I wonder if you could turn on visualization for the ones that does not have EAP. The visualization is actually a little distracting. Look at those army of trashcans. Oh wow it shows all 5 traffic lights at the intersection. Look, a person crossing the cross walk. I probably should be keeping my eyes on the road LOL.

Just completed our infotainment/radio upgrade last week for $3000 - and while it's disappointing to see the $1000 price drop a week later, since we were willing to pay $3000 for the upgrade - we got what we paid for...

With the new pricing, the upgrade could be $1250 if they still allow you to keep the original display (and give up your radio).
Are you saying you can save $250 by recycling the old unit or by opting to keep the old touchscreen?

The MCU2 upgrade seems to be $1500 now instead of $2500. See link:
Infotainment Upgrade

I haven’t seen this posted here yet but the price is now listed as $2,000 for the upgrade.

The Radio upgrade is now $690 (is that price a joke?)

You gotta love Tesla.

Edit: My bad! I was set to the Canada site. Sorry folks for spreading fake news!

Last edited:
I haven’t seen this posted here yet but the price is now listed as $2,000 for the upgrade.

The Radio upgrade is now $690 (is that price a joke?)

You gotta love Tesla.

Incorrect information... Infotainment Upgrade | Tesla

upload_2021-1-22_15-7-23.png

Last edited:
I can’t imagine any worldly scenario where that’s true, but sure. We’ll go with that.

You’re really grasping at straws here. What possible motivation would Tesla have to take this stance, “legally” or not?

Tell them you noticed the price changed. They’ll adjust it. Simple.

It appears that David.85D is not grasping at straws... abysmal Tesla customer service strikes again.

My name is David and I have a problem. It’s been 1 day since I got ripped off by Tesla.

I paid $2500 for the MCU2 upgrade on Wednesday. Was refused a price adjustment today.

It appears that David.85D is not grasping at straws... abysmal Tesla customer service strikes again.

How is someone asking for a retroactive refund at all related to what my original post was discussing (someone who had yet to drop their car off to have the work performed)?

Prices change. Sometimes they go up, sometimes they go down. This isn't a Tesla thing. Why would anyone who previously agreed to work being performed at a price that was acceptable at the time be entitled to a refund? Where is the line drawn on who is eligible for a refund? Does Tesla have to refund a thousand dollars to EVERY person that had the MCU2 upgrade done in order to provide "good customer service?"

I get the frustration - the timing sucks if you just had this done. I'm not trying to minimize that. But I also don't get the sense of entitlement to a refund. If the price went up the day after you had the work done, you'd no doubt breathe a sigh of relief - not expect a $1,000 bill from Tesla. You win some, you lose some.

Last edited:
Bottom line is if your Tesla was in warranty, you should not have paid a penny to have a functional MCU. MCU1 was barely functional before FSD, and completely non-functional after HW3 board installed. The browser NEVER worked since day one, and was a big selling feature. So yeah, if within 4 years warranty MCU2 should be free. I paid because I had no choice really. Sure I should get a full refund. If not, what is the use of a warranty? If a part no longer functions or functions so slow and poorly that they replaced it, you should receive the replacement part under warranty when yours doesn't work right. Tesla tried to skirt around the issue by saying it is an "Infotainment Upgrade", LOL. B.S. It is a cpu and memory replacement with one that works with the rest of the car now. They should just replace it for free and if people want Netflix and Games then they can pay for them.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
How is someone asking for a retroactive refund at all related to what my original post was discussing (someone who had yet to drop their car off to have the work performed)?

Prices change. Sometimes they go up, sometimes they go down. This isn't a Tesla thing. Why would anyone who previously agreed to work being performed at a price that was acceptable at the time be entitled to a refund? Where is the line drawn on who is eligible for a refund? Does Tesla have to refund a thousand dollars to EVERY person that had the MCU2 upgrade done in order to provide "good customer service?"

I get the frustration - the timing sucks if you just had this done. I'm not trying to minimize that. But I also don't get the sense of entitlement to a refund. If the price went up the day after you had the work done, you'd no doubt breathe a sigh of relief - not expect a $1,000 bill from Tesla. You win some, you lose some.

you are right but the difference is not like $50 or $100. It is a whopping 40%! This does leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Freds take on the issue... Tesla slashes the price of its media unit upgrade amid controversy (electrek.co)

"Now we learn that Tesla slashed the price of the media unit upgrade by $1,000 overnight. Tesla didn’t give an explanation for the massive 40% price reduction on the upgrade. This massive price reduction could easily be interpreted as Tesla trying to make the owners pay for a recall that is due to a confirmed defect in its media unit. That’s a bad look on Tesla.

Now it’s not exactly that simple since people who opt for that upgrade would get more than what they would get if you simply replace the eMMC, but the timing from Tesla is still suspicious. Some owners who have had issues with Tesla fixing the MCU under warranty could be tempted to go for this upgrade if Tesla is not forced to fix the issue under a recall.

Either way, like I reported last week when NHTSA formally asked Tesla to do a recall, I think Tesla mishandled this entire eMMC situation. It needs to own up to it and stand behind its product, which currently has a defect in it."

I think the primary reason for the price reduction of MCU2 upgrade is MCU3 in the S/X refresh.
Last week: $2500 to upgrade to MCU2, the fastest and best MCU available in a Tesla.
This week: $1500 to upgrade to the previous-gen MCU2, since new cars are getting MCU3 that enables high-power video gaming over 5G.
Just my feeling.