Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the primary reason for the price reduction of MCU2 upgrade is MCU3 in the S/X refresh.
Last week: $2500 to upgrade to MCU2, the fastest and best MCU available in a Tesla.
This week: $1500 to upgrade to the previous-gen MCU2, since new cars are getting MCU3 that enables high-power video gaming over 5G.
Just my feeling.

Highly doubt this. Less than 1% chance. If anything is clear. New tech first come to the 3 and y. Then s and x.

Highly doubt this. Less than 1% chance. If anything is clear. New tech first come to the 3 and y. Then s and x.
New tech first come to the 3 and Y? Not by design. I think the pace of innovation in the 3 and Y is driven by volume. X and S buyers pay more but those innovations have bypassed. The D and S designs predate 3 and Y. I expect to see an updated design in which innovations that come out of 3 and Y can be incorporated more easily in X and S.

Yes you're right, often the Model 3 got newer tech first, like for the heat pump. But maybe because they wanted to roll all the S/X changes in all at once in a refresh. There are also a few examples like:
Raven adaptive suspension : S and X got it. Not offered for 3/Y
100KWH battery pack : S and X got it. Not offered for 3/Y.
Hardware3 self-driving board : S and X got it first by a few weeks.
Also some non-tech like HEPA filter, XM radio and sound dampening in Raven, cream vegan interior, etc.
But yes, I see your point.

Glad it's more accessible in price at $1500 but also annoyed that I paid $2500. My mcu1 was struggling to function on basic tasks including route planning with supercharger stops, non functional browser, and subpart performance for a car made in 2018. Had to spend $2500 to gain functionality that should have been baked into the car.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Maybe when they were new, but 3/Y are now the old products, with S/X about to reclaim the "new hotness" badge. First with new batteries, first with MCU3, first with AP4, then those will trickle down to the older 3/Y. designs.

My take is that the price drop is due to the NHTSA safety recall. It saves Tesla money if they can convince more owners to pay for a $1500 MCU2 upgrade, rather than get the MCU1 fix for free. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the price again if they see the demand isn't high enough at this price. Simple economics.
Unfortunately for my wallet, I upgraded in November at $2500. But no worries, have been very happy to have the improvement.

Lol; Elon always said the S and X would get the new tech but we’ve never seen it. Love to have that be true. Let’s not derail this thread with that.

I also think the price change is from the recall as it permanently removes a car from that issue and gives you the new features of MCU2. MCU3? Dunno...

Glad it's more accessible in price at $1500 but also annoyed that I paid $2500. My mcu1 was struggling to function on basic tasks including route planning with supercharger stops, non functional browser, and subpart performance for a car made in 2018. Had to spend $2500 to gain functionality that should have been baked into the car.
There is a chance it will be even cheaper of free after a recall forced by NHTSA. Tesla is using standard marketing technique, pricing it at $2,500 for those who want it first, then $1,500 for those who didn't want to pay $2,500 but don't want to wait for the lower cost or free upgrade. Lucky for Tesla they didn't sell that as many of the MCU1's as they are selling MCU2's. They took risks, like not doing a proper design with proper FMEA which would have told them that an infotainment screen responsible for safety functions is a ticking recall waiting to happen, and they are now paying for it. In retrospect it was probably well worth it for Tesla and even just for Elon - Tesla stock made him way enough money to cover a $1,000 expense for the first 150,000 cars ($150M), though by now a whole bunch of people paid for it out of pocket and more will pay as it gets cheaper. All Tesla has to do is delay the recall as long as possible, and lower the price gradually, to help offset the final cost. What you paid $2,500 for is the privilege to have it earlier.

Hopefully MCU2 is designed to automotive standard and lasts accordingly, because it still handles safety critical functions. Unless of course the gamble is that by the time MCU2's start dying (perhaps 2023) and then the next recall comes (2025 or later), the couple million cars which will be recalled will seem like a small drop compared to millions of cars Tesla is selling at that time and billions of dollars they stock value gained in return. Perhaps this strategy that works for new companies, skip proper design in lieu of getting to market much faster, pay for it later if you survive and thrive. Larger companies cannot afford this model, hence they take much longer to get their new cars to market.

Did you get it to work?
Installed 48.35.5 overnight, rebooted as I always do after that this AM, backed out of the garage to test SXM and channel 1 works!

Now to call and get the trial reactivated for the heck of it. Wonder if the old trial date was tied to the hardware (new tuner) as I mentioned it said expired last November. Note that you can’t manage these radio IDs online at SXM, probably because not a factory installed item.

Last edited:
On the SXM chat for over 30 minutes trying to get the trial restarted just to try it out, and they have no idea what these tuners are. Tons of BS about when I bought the car, where did the tuner come from, blah blah. You would think the Radio ID would tell them something about the origin of the tuner..... Shocked that I'm the first one trying to use the SXM part of the tuner, lol....

A process that should take a few seconds online on the website is taking forever with the chat person escalating to another team that has no clue about these add-on tuners Tesla is using to complete the MCU 2 upgrade.

Finally, they seem to have figured it out after 35 minutes, but OMG.... hopefully anyone else that wants to try the trial for the heck of it has an easier time. :D

There is a chance it will be even cheaper of free after a recall forced by NHTSA. Tesla is using standard marketing technique, pricing it at $2,500 for those who want it first, then $1,500 for those who didn't want to pay $2,500 but don't want to wait for the lower cost or free upgrade. Lucky for Tesla they didn't sell that as many of the MCU1's as they are selling MCU2's. They took risks, like not doing a proper design with proper FMEA which would have told them that an infotainment screen responsible for safety functions is a ticking recall waiting to happen, and they are now paying for it. In retrospect it was probably well worth it for Tesla and even just for Elon - Tesla stock made him way enough money to cover a $1,000 expense for the first 150,000 cars ($150M), though by now a whole bunch of people paid for it out of pocket and more will pay as it gets cheaper. All Tesla has to do is delay the recall as long as possible, and lower the price gradually, to help offset the final cost. What you paid $2,500 for is the privilege to have it earlier.

Based on the published delivery numbers, there are currently more MCU1 cars than MCU2 cars as Model S/X sales have declined.

335px-Global_sales_Tesla_Model_S_by_quarter.png

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
I know the FSD HW3 computers can be swapped in by rangers, but is that also the case for the MCU upgrade ?
I just scheduled my MCU2 upgrade last night after I saw on here that it’s only $1500 now. They scheduled it for mobile service on February 1st. My only concern is the stereo sound quality and the backup camera quality. Have we determined on here whether the sound quality is diminished and/or the backup camera is too dark?

I just scheduled my MCU2 upgrade last night after I saw on here that it’s only $1500 now. They scheduled it for mobile service on February 1st. My only concern is the stereo sound quality and the backup camera quality. Have we determined on here whether the sound quality is diminished and/or the backup camera is too dark?

That's what I got (mobile service appointment) when I first scheduled MCU 2 upgrade back in November last year. Then a few days later, it rescheduled me to Service Center. Not sure if it is because Mobile service was busy or can't be done?