Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just scheduled my MCU2 upgrade last night after I saw on here that it’s only $1500 now. They scheduled it for mobile service on February 1st. My only concern is the stereo sound quality and the backup camera quality. Have we determined on here whether the sound quality is diminished and/or the backup camera is too dark?

I haven't notice any change in sound quality yet. However my backup camera is extremely dark at night now. Prior comments on this thread mentioned this and that they were told by support that Tesla is working on a software fix. I just filed a service request on this issue because I consider it so dark at night that it is a safety issue. During the day the backup camera brightness is fine.

I have a late 2014 S, November, it is the same thing as a 2015. I have I assume first gen autopilot.

I have an appointment with the service center and I know form the last time that they are going to be replacing the MCU again. Same problems as before. I'm under warranty. If they replace it, does anyone know, do they replace it with another MCU1? Or are they scrapping those and going to MCU2? Last time around I tried to get a MCU2, said I'd pay for it, but they were not yet doing it. I assume they are now.

The problem for them is if they replace it with a MCU1 and then have to recall it they are risking having to replace it again.

Every time I post that I'm under warranty people ask me how. I bought it from Tesla in August or so 2019, it came with a two year 60K mile warranty. Car only had 40K on it. And I bought it three days before they cut off free supercharging on used cars:)

Yes, we know. Like random155 said, do your research. But I will give you the answer. No they are not scrapping MCU1. Yes, you are going to get another MCU1 unless you are willing to inform them in advance so they car order MCU2.

And technically, the actual eMMC is a different version of the chip between 2013-2014 and 2015.

SC said the car is identical to a 2015. My MCU is maybe a year old. Research, that's why I'm here. It would be helpful when you are sitting on your high horse if you cited a source for your answer. Otherwise it's no better than a guess.
LOL, That's funny. More, more, please. I need the laugh :) I learned it from reading. :)

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1 Post #378

From my observations I've seen the Hynix H26M42001FMR in 2012 and 2013 cars. The H26M42002GMR in ~ 2014 cars and the H26M42003GMR in 2015+ cars.
Please be very careful when de-soldering the chip, especially the oldest chips (H26M42001FMR) seem to corrupt or even die completely from the heating.
There are ways to read the eMMC chip before de-soldering though. Especially when you have an old chip or if it is failing already I would recommend having this done to safeguard your unique certificate files. Without those unique files the car will not have app functionality, updates, Spotify etc. (and Tesla will not give you these files, they will only be able to offer a +- €3000 replacement of the entire MCU).

Hynix H26M42001FMR in 2012 and 2013 cars.
Hynix H26M42002GMR in ~ 2014 cars.
Hynix H26M42003GMR in 2015+ cars.

Last edited:
Did anyone else (besides the two noted cases) was able to get 'free' FM/XM upgrade after initially paying $2500 for MCU2 upgrade?

I've an upcoming appointment this week for FM/XM upgrade and I paid full price for MCU2. Also my car has premium audio/UHFS package.

Just want to confirm if it's indeed free so I can work with the local service center. Thanks!

I had the $2500 Infotainment Upgrade installed last summer and I have a '17 Model S with premium audio. I emailed my service center last Friday with my VIN and asked if the FM radio upgrade was free if I had the $2500 Infotainment Upgrade installed last summer by them and had premium audio. They told me it was $500.

I think the other two guys got it free because they both went to the same service center in Virginia and for some reason that service center thinks it's no charge. I may call that service center on Monday.

• Love
Reactions: boaterva and LS..
I had the $2500 Infotainment Upgrade installed last summer and I have a '17 Model S with premium audio. I emailed my service center last Friday with my VIN and asked if the FM radio upgrade was free if I had the $2500 Infotainment Upgrade installed last summer by them and had premium audio. They told me it was $500.

I think the other two guys got it free because they both went to the same service center in Virginia and for some reason that service center thinks it's no charge. I may call that service center on Monday.

Interesting..

Do you know which service center in Virginia? Although I'm on West Coast, I rather speak with them or perhaps have my local service center talk to them to understand the cost ($0).

Interesting..

Do you know which service center in Virginia? Although I'm on West Coast, I rather speak with them or perhaps have my local service center talk to them to understand the cost ($0).
Or maybe don’t ruin it for everyone in VA??? It’s clearly a mistake on their part since ever other (that we know of) charges $500, premium sound or not.

Or maybe don’t ruin it for everyone in VA??? It’s clearly a mistake on their part since ever other (that we know of) charges $500, premium sound or not.

Nothing wrong with getting more information. It’s not about ruining it for VA folks. Perhaps it’s fair that everyone pays the same price.

FYI — VA folks shouldn’t have shared it in the first place rather than worry about “ruining it”.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
IIRC, both of the "free" radio upgrades that I read about were for people who originally paid the old $2500 MCU2 upgrade price. They then got the "free" radio upgrade when they had the radio installed after the upgrade price was lowered to $1500 a few days ago.

Perhaps those that paid the original $2500 will no longer have to pay for the radio upgrade? While it isn't a $1000 refund, a "free" $500 upgrade might make a lot of owners happier.
That would def be one theory, but as usual be nice if it was codified.... (and, yeah, of course I was one of the $2500, I think I was the first one Tysons ever did. :D ).

Lol, as I said, why would they (Tysons) think it was free, if the proforma invoice said it was $500 (plus tac, etc.)? I don't think I've ever see a pro forma go down before.....

Why call a service center you can't use?