Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing wrong with getting more information. It’s not about ruining it for VA folks. Perhaps it’s fair that everyone pays the same price.

FYI — VA folks shouldn’t have shared it in the first place rather than worry about “ruining it”.
Me too generation... "If I cant have it no one should have it", nice way of thinking. What more information do you need? That service centers thinks it should be free upgrade for those that have premium audio. That is clearly erroneous and they shouldnt be doing that. And the gents that posted that they got it for free were kind enough to give us a "heads up" try this at your service center and see if it works. They didnt do it for you to call their service center and say no one else is doing it, so this isnt fair.

Reactions: Droschke
Me too generation... "If I cant have it no one should have it", nice way of thinking. What more information do you need? That service centers thinks it should be free upgrade for those that have premium audio. That is clearly erroneous and they shouldnt be doing that. And the gents that posted that they got it for free were kind enough to give us a "heads up" try this at your service center and see if it works. They didnt do it for you to call their service center and say no one else is doing it, so this isnt fair.

Sound a bit salty here, pal. Service centers can be used by anyone, it doesn't belong to "theirs" or "ours". Life isn't fair, get used to it.

You are welcome. Sincerely. None of us can know what they are going to do. There's many questions that we ask here about what Tesla might do and we can only guess. But I guess already figured that out too.

We've seen people with like problems go in to a SC and they did something entirely different that what they had done in the past. Its a mystery why. Here's an interesting story. I think it was July that an owner with a 2013 took his S in for MCU2 upgrade. His was one of the first older S's to get MCU2. That was great. Told us its possible. But his SC gave him a $700 discount when he was dropping it off. They explained a memo was sent to SCs telling them to drop the price. And they did. Other's tried at their SC and were told not.

And about a month later another owner went in to the same SC and he was given a $700 discount. No explanation why.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
As far as I know the Software Upgrade sometime in Nov/December 2020 introduced the feature to figure out how bad the wear was on eMMC and display message on screen saying "Center Display storage device degraded - Okay to Drive - Use mobile app to schedule service"

I wish they dropped the price before this software upgrade showing such message to users. Showing such message to users and so that some decide to upgrade at $2500 and drop the prices felt like I took the bait. I would have waited until the price drop if not for this message. Obviously people say I could have got MCU1 fixed under warranty free of cost, but we all know most don't do it and Tesla knows that too. So, We are all played and it sucks, I wish they refund the price difference for everyone, or at the very least whose MCU1 was degraded while still under warranty!
141782637_10220466110024572_1891278884850680328_n.jpg

When my first MCU gave out they said my car wasn't one they could do yet, I would have paid the $2500. They gave me a MCU2 car as a loaner, i was sold. So now i have another bad one, I assume, the car is doing exactly the same thing. It will be interesting to see what they say this time. I'm inclined to take the warranty repair whatever it is and wait and see if they are forced to do a recall

When my first MCU gave out they said my car wasn't one they could do yet, I would have paid the $2500. They gave me a MCU2 car as a loaner, i was sold. So now i have another bad one, I assume, the car is doing exactly the same thing. It will be interesting to see what they say this time. I'm inclined to take the warranty repair whatever it is and wait and see if they are forced to do a recall
Hang on, when you MCU gave our you would have paid $2,500 to get MCU2, but took a warranty repair of MCU1 instead because MCU2 was not available. Well, it is available now for $1,500, why are you not paying? Why was it worth $2,500 then but not worth $1,500 today? What changed - MCU1 got worth more or MCU2 got worth less? o_O

As far as I know the Software Upgrade sometime in Nov/December 2020 introduced the feature to figure out how bad the wear was on eMMC and display message on screen saying "Center Display storage device degraded - Okay to Drive - Use mobile app to schedule service"

I wish they dropped the price before this software upgrade showing such message to users. Showing such message to users and so that some decide to upgrade at $2500 and drop the prices felt like I took the bait. I would have waited until the price drop if not for this message. Obviously people say I could have got MCU1 fixed under warranty free of cost, but we all know most don't do it and Tesla knows that too. So, We are all played and it sucks, I wish they refund the price difference for everyone, or at the very least whose MCU1 was degraded while still under warranty!View attachment 630730
You did take the bait and that really sucks. I would be pissed as well.

Hang on, when you MCU gave our you would have paid $2,500 to get MCU2, but took a warranty repair of MCU1 instead because MCU2 was not available. Well, it is available now for $1,500, why are you not paying? Why was it worth $2,500 then but not worth $1,500 today? What changed - MCU1 got worth more or MCU2 got worth less? o_O

he is hoping he is going to get the MCU2 for free, but it ain’t gonna happen.

I wouldn't call Delaware close enough to drive, but this should be interesting for this, as everything there seems to take overnight. Would be nice to tie down the pattern here.....

I spoke with Daniel at Tysons Service and he stated it was a $500 upgrade cost. I was not willing to try to schedule an appointment through the app not knowing if I would be charged or not. FM is not worth $500 to me as I always use Tunein. If they were going to install it for no charge I would have made an appointment.

I spoke with Daniel at Tysons Service and he stated it was a $500 upgrade cost. I was not willing to try to schedule an appointment through the app not knowing if I would be charged or not. FM is not worth $500 to me as I always use Tunein. If they were going to install it for no charge I would have made an appointment.
Well, WTF then, especially when we got pro formas of 500 and then billed 0.... I got nothing lol.

• Funny
Reactions: drew.c

I called in yesterday as well and spoke with Daniel -- he stated that the upgrade cost is $500 but it's up to the manager's discretion if they waive it or not (I suppose other two installs were waived).

However, my local service center has agreed to waive the upgrade cost. I just approved the estimate and it was listed as $500 upgrade cost plus $500 discount.

I will confirm if this holds true after my appointment later this week!

I called in yesterday as well and spoke with Daniel -- he stated that the upgrade cost is $500 but it's up to the manager's discretion if they waive it or not (I suppose other two installs were waived).

However, my local service center has agreed to waive the upgrade cost. I just approved the estimate and it was listed as $500 upgrade cost plus $500 discount.

Would you mind posting the part of the estimate that shows the part # and cost and the $500 discount?

Glad it worked out for you.

Just remembered something I don't think has been mentioned yet, that's generally insignificant but could be a tie-breaker if you're on the fence about paying for the radio upgrade. There are lots of replacements for radio stations via the Internet, however during Christmas or other events if you like looking at big light displays (or drive-in theater?) that require you to tune to a station that is only there on the premises, that'll be lost if you lose the radio (on top of lost radio streaming in out-of-coverage cell areas already mentioned). Just an FYI.

Just remembered something I don't think has been mentioned yet, that's generally insignificant but could be a tie-breaker if you're on the fence about paying for the radio upgrade. There are lots of replacements for radio stations via the Internet, however during Christmas or other events if you like looking at big light displays (or drive-in theater?) that require you to tune to a station that is only there on the premises, that'll be lost if you lose the radio (on top of lost radio streaming in out-of-coverage cell areas already mentioned). Just an FYI.
Or for that brief need, simply use a portable radio.

• Helpful
Reactions: oldpueblo and Fiver