Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered and scheduled my MCU2 upgrade on 15 January, 2021, and was told the cost would be $2500 for the MCU, new screen, and no FM tuner (was given the option of adding FM for $500 but declined).

I hadn't been on TMC for a few months, so didn't realize MCU2 had dropped from $2500 to $1500! I am trying to log in to the app to pose the question of what my actual price will be, and maybe Tesla knows I'm going to ask because the app is not letting me in to my service tab!! I keep getting an "Error" message. Convenient.

Have others been told $2500, but when the bill was due it was reduced to $1500? I feel like I have already 'approved' the invoice, so may be screwed?

Just remembered something I don't think has been mentioned yet, that's generally insignificant but could be a tie-breaker if you're on the fence about paying for the radio upgrade. There are lots of replacements for radio stations via the Internet, however during Christmas or other events if you like looking at big light displays (or drive-in theater?) that require you to tune to a station that is only there on the premises, that'll be lost if you lose the radio (on top of lost radio streaming in out-of-coverage cell areas already mentioned). Just an FYI.

Another concern about the web-based 'radio' alternative to having a genuine radio/dab option (for those of us in the UK) is that you may not be able to receive certain live broadcasts. In particular, football/cricket/golf (etc) commentaries 'may not be available in your country'. This is because the sim cards the cars use for LTE/3G connections are typically from Spain or Holland and lead the broadcast station to assume you are in (or from) that country, not the UK, and therefore not allowed to receive the live broadcast.

so i dropped my car off yesterday - as the service advisor said the repair would only take one day, 8 hours to download new firmware, ok - so i went to my app which told me "Waiting for Parts" estimated completion time February 1st 11am. Now i made my initial appointment in the middle of December and have appointments rescheduled as the "part" wasn't in. Now when i mentioned this yesterday to my service advisor (he said nothing) and texted the number that confirmed my appointment (an heard nothing) - 1 day turns into 1 week. Why would Tesla service take a car in, and keep it for a week, instead of pushing out the appointment until the parts are ready ? This doesn't seem right, it's not that my car was inoperable. Has anyone else had this experience.

• Informative
Reactions: ladysbff
Have others been told $2500, but when the bill was due it was reduced to $1500? I feel like I have already 'approved' the invoice, so may be screwed?

I can confirm that. I approved the early $2500 estimate, but my appointment was on the day the price dropped. I was due to pick it up the next day and I messaged them about it and they said that since I was still in service, I would get the new price, which I did.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911

I ordered the upgrade about a week ago, when the price was still $2,500...but after the NHTSA notice, so I figured the price would drop before I got it (and I wanted to get in line before a flood of new orders). The appointment is for Feb 4, and it sounds like they already have the part.

They just sent an estimate today...for $2,500 plus tax. I sent back a note asking if they could re-issue the estimate with the $1,500 price. They did within minutes, and apologized saying the system doesn't automatically regenerate these when there are price changes.

Last edited:
he is hoping he is going to get the MCU2 for free, but it ain’t gonna happen.
Isn't it funny how a hope to get something for free in the future changes its perceived value? ;)
Btw, personally I would not rule a free or almost free replacement if Tesla is forced to recall MCU1's. Elon does believe in "ship it now, fix it over the air, pay for hardware fix if we have to". NHTSA forcing a recall would fall under the "we have to" scenario. I'm sure Takata didn't want to give out new airbags for free either, and yet...

Reactions: Akikiki
Wow, you folks want to see a real eye opener? Its fascinating. I was looking for some specific posts in a MCU2 thread. So, I started with this one. The one I am writing this post in. I went back to page one and started at post #1. Some of the things that are said are what Spock would call "Fascinating". I think that was Spock's word for Bullstuff. But really. There's some very interesting posts and statements by folks in this thread. So, if TV is stale, go back and read some of this stuff.

Wow, you folks want to see a real eye opener? Its fascinating. I was looking for some specific posts in a MCU2 thread. So, I started with this one. The one I am writing this post in. I went back to page one and started at post #1. Some of the things that are said are what Spock would call "Fascinating". I think that was Spock's word for Bullstuff. But really. There's some very interesting posts and statements by folks in this thread. So, if TV is stale, go back and read some of this stuff.
I just remember @whitex always saying an upgrade was never going to happen. He use to make me so sad;). He did have a good point though, it wasn't like Elon hadn't "promised" many other things that never came to be, but I never gave up hope. Still waiting for the bluetooth phone as a fob feature. Probably should give up hope on that one.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Hang on, when you MCU gave our you would have paid $2,500 to get MCU2, but took a warranty repair of MCU1 instead because MCU2 was not available. Well, it is available now for $1,500, why are you not paying? Why was it worth $2,500 then but not worth $1,500 today? What changed - MCU1 got worth more or MCU2 got worth less? o_O

Both, once the NHTSA stepped in:)

I can confirm that. I approved the early $2500 estimate, but my appointment was on the day the price dropped. I was due to pick it up the next day and I messaged them about it and they said that since I was still in service, I would get the new price, which I did.

Thanks! I finally got through using the app and asked about the new price, which they promptly replied that I would get the $1500 price!

Going in tomorrow, not sure how long it will take, but am pretty stoked!!

Reactions: Akikiki