Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! I finally got through using the app and asked about the new price, which they promptly replied that I would get the $1500 price!

Going in tomorrow, not sure how long it will take, but am pretty stoked!!

After the work is done could you update the thread on whether they left the old center screen (LCD) in the car and whether or not you got a new instrument cluster display?

he is hoping he is going to get the MCU2 for free, but it ain’t gonna happen.
And if there is a recall? Price change has to be anticipating that. If they are forced to do a recall, what do you think they are going to do with current MCU1's? Fix them? How?

I think this is a great car, I thought so when I bought it and I bought stock after I bought the car, so I'm doubly happy. But I've had problems from day one with the MCU, it's the worst part of the car, it's garbage, at least in my car. So yes, I'm going to see if I can get a free MCU2. I suspect a lot of people will.

Last edited:
They will likely continue to fix them how they have been. Replace the 8GB eMMC chip with a 64GB eMMC chip.
I agree. I don’t understand why people are thinking that the recall will result in free MCU2 upgrade when they can replace the chip for a fraction of the cost. Anyone have logical reasoning for this train of thought? Doesn’t make sense to me.

• Informative
Reactions: Need and MP3Mike
I agree. I don’t understand why people are thinking that the recall will result in free MCU2 upgrade when they can replace the chip for a fraction of the cost. Anyone have logical reasoning for this train of thought? Doesn’t make sense to me.
Completely agree. I don't know how this narrative suddenly shifted from "Tesla owes us a free repair on defective MCU1's" to "My MCU1 is broken out of warranty I deserve a free upgrade to MCU2".

No, you deserve a free repair on your MCU1. That's all. Not going to get into the discussion on refunds for people who paid already for OoW repairs, but I can't see anyone getting a free MCU2 for having a MCU1 fail.

In my opinion, be happy. The MCU2 is a super upgrade and well worth the $1,500. There's a few reports of dark backup cameras at night which is inherent to all MCU2's, not just upgraded ones. Also some people note sound differences in the stereo, but in general, the vast majority of people who got the upgrade have reported back happily on the change in this thread.

What's the in-stock situation of MCU2 like for you guys? My appointment is set for Feb 1st for MCU2 + Radio + Uncorking. I scheduled it in the app last week 01/21/21, but as of this morning, the appointment is still in that first "Preparing" phase. Prior to my last service visit, I got to the "Review" stage requiring the estimate/invoice approval from me like 2 weeks prior. I'm worried about a possible delay, but I've been messaging the Service Adviser about estimated turnaround time, and while he gave me a really general answer ("we try to get it back same day, but could run into the following day if software updates take a while"), he gave no indication that the appointment would be delayed due to parts not arriving.

I suppose I could ask them via the app later lol. Just wanted to see what some of your experiences were with that.

I suppose I could ask them via the app later lol. Just wanted to see what some of your experiences were with that.

In my case, within a day after I booked the appointment, I received the estimate to sign. That's when I realized I was getting the HW3 upgrade as well. Then after that, I received another email that said that I would get 2 emails a week with updates on the parts. The first email I received said that it was ordered but not in yet. That was a week before the scheduled date. I took it in on the scheduled day, but the email indicating the part was received wasn't received until I was already in service. I think the part was received earlier, but they only schedule those emails twice a week and it just happened to line up that way. So from appointment to completed job was less than 10 days, including ordering the part. Bear in mind that this mostly happened before the price drop, so the parts situation might have changed since...

• Informative
Reactions: fcastrillo86
Completely agree. I don't know how this narrative suddenly shifted from "Tesla owes us a free repair on defective MCU1's" to "My MCU1 is broken out of warranty I deserve a free upgrade to MCU2".

Easy. Confusion. The fix for my MCU1 was to replace it, this was +- a year ago, I assume it had the newer chip. I'm again having the exact same problem, still under warranty. So how do they fix it? Another MCU1? I've not seen or heard a reliable answer on that.

Easy. Confusion. The fix for my MCU1 was to replace it, this was +- a year ago, I assume it had the newer chip. I'm again having the exact same problem, still under warranty. So how do they fix it? Another MCU1? I've not seen or heard a reliable answer on that.

You got a refurbished one, with another 8 GB chip in it. Tesla was not installing 64 GB chips at the time. It definitely should last longer than 1 year though, unless it was already used....

I believe it was already posted in this vigorous thread, but they do not replace your whole MCU1 now, they will replace the Tegra board only, with the 64 GB chip; it costs them about $100 to do this.

And there is no guarantee they will just fix it for you; like many others I assume they will tell you to go away until you get the message on your cluster indicating the issue. This might not happen until you are off warranty.

Reactions: Akikiki
In my case, within a day after I booked the appointment, I received the estimate to sign. That's when I realized I was getting the HW3 upgrade as well. Then after that, I received another email that said that I would get 2 emails a week with updates on the parts. The first email I received said that it was ordered but not in yet. That was a week before the scheduled date. I took it in on the scheduled day, but the email indicating the part was received wasn't received until I was already in service. I think the part was received earlier, but they only schedule those emails twice a week and it just happened to line up that way. So from appointment to completed job was less than 10 days, including ordering the part. Bear in mind that this mostly happened before the price drop, so the parts situation might have changed since...
Thanks for the insight! I'm also expecting a jump in demand for MCU2 due to the price drop. I'm just crossing fingers that I scheduled my request quick enough before word spread out to everyone else lol. I saw the price drop myself within 45 mins of Tesla's Infotainment page update, but this forum and Reddit beat me to it by like 15 mins.

And if there is a recall? Price change has to be anticipating that. If they are forced to do a recall, what do you think they are going to do with current MCU1's? Fix them? How?

I think this is a great car, I thought so when I bought it and I bought stock after I bought the car, so I'm doubly happy. But I've had problems from day one with the MCU, it's the worst part of the car, it's garbage, at least in my car. So yes, I'm going to see if I can get a free MCU2. I suspect a lot of people will.
The problem is just the eMMC. It's not the whole MCU1. Just plug in a new eMMC. No need to replace the whole MCU.