Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the work is done could you update the thread on whether they left the old center screen (LCD) in the car and whether or not you got a new instrument cluster display?

Glad to! No, my old touchscreen was not left in the car, and I never asked about it. Kinda forgot. ;) But I wouldn't want it anyway... just something (for me, at least) to throw away. :confused:

My experience was frikkin AWESOME! Mad props (isn't that what kids say these days?) to the Lynnwood, WA SC!!! I got in at 10:45 this am, and picked up my car at 4:30. San-Fran-Tastic!!

I got the new MCU, new touch screen (yay! no yellow border - for now :rolleyes:), and new IC. It's like I got a new car! Everything works SO well now, compared to the old MCU once I got the FSD computer installed! Even EAP works better! The touchscreen is lightning-fast now!

And... more importantly for myself, at least - the Voice Command function is BACK! Even with road noise, I just 'talk' and it understands every word! I haven't had that for over a year!! SO nice!!

Edit: FWIW, I still have premium sound. Some mentioned they lost that after the upgrade....

Does anyone know if the radio and SXM is hardware in the MCU2 or if it can be added over the air later? I have the streaming, and that's all I ever use, but I wouldn't mind the SXM option.
Yes, we know. It is installed in the location where the current analog radio module is located. Behind the dash just about where your left knee is when you sit in the car. Its not easy to get to either. The entire left side trim has to be removed. Part of the left side trim is removed when they replace the MCU, but its still difficult to get to. Ask me how I know and I will point you to a project we worked on last spring to get it working DIY and got 98% done and had to stop because Tesla would not do the last step. At that time they wouldn't even acknowledge they would do it or admit it was possible.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Glad to! No, my old touchscreen was not left in the car, and I never asked about it. Kinda forgot. ;) But I wouldn't want it anyway... just something (for me, at least) to throw away. :confused:

@Brian's ReX, I am 100% certain that when they asked you if your got the old touchscreen, that they did not mean was it left in the car as in the back seat or trunk. They meant did they re-use your screen versus get a new one on the new MCU. The significance of that is, for 8+ months, they have been giving a $250 price reduction if you allow them to re-use your old screen. But don't worry, you answered that two ways. One you said you got a new screen, and no mention of another $250 off the price.

Since the price of MCU2 Upgrade has been now costing only $1500, we've not heard anyone say the got the new MCU2 upgrade at the $1500 price and still got a price reduction of $250 for re-using the screen. So until someone says they are doing/getting that, maybe they have stopped giving the option to re-use the old screen. (Some people do re-use and some do not. Depends on goo or yellow band on the sides.)

Reactions: Brian's ReX
Yes, we know. It is installed in the location where the current analog radio module is located. Behind the dash just about where your left knee is when you sit in the car. Its not easy to get to either. The entire left side trim has to be removed. Part of the left side trim is removed when they replace the MCU, but its still difficult to get to. Ask me how I know and I will point you to a project we worked on last spring to get it working DIY and got 98% done and had to stop because Tesla would not do the last step. At that time they wouldn't even acknowledge they would do it or admit it was possible.

Okay, I've decided that I believe whatever you say:) So if i change to MCU2 do the radio upgrade at the same time.

Does the MCU2 perform as well in older cars as well as it does in newer ones? I dropped my car off for service, and I got a MCU2 car as a loaner. In my car, the Internet is basically not functional, even on wifi. In this car i(MCU2) it ran about as fast as a phone. In my MCU1 car it takes about an hour to change pages, even on wifi.

Okay, I've decided that I believe whatever you say:) So if i change to MCU2 do the radio upgrade at the same time.

Does the MCU2 perform as well in older cars as well as it does in newer ones? I dropped my car off for service, and I got a MCU2 car as a loaner. In my car, the Internet is basically not functional, even on wifi. In this car i(MCU2) it ran about as fast as a phone. In my MCU1 car it takes about an hour to change pages, even on wifi.
I assume that when you say Internet you mean browser being slow. My MCU1 Internet 3G works fine for Nav maps and streaming but the browser is slow.

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
...and XM if your car already had it.
I wonder what the techs were thinking who installed the XM tuner in non XM MCU2 upgrades recently...

''hmmm I have this leftover antenna port but nothing to which to connect it"
"maybe I should have checked first to see if corporate sent the right part. I really don't want to uninstall it"
"hopefully the rebuild software will lookup and see that the car has no XM"
"ok well the rebuild tool didn't complain"
"um but it didn't lookup the XM status of the car, it just configured whatever I put in"
"maybe nobody will notice"​

Last edited:

Does the MCU2 perform as well in older cars as it does in newer ones? Yes, it does. The car, older car, is better than it was when it was brand new. Its amazing the difference. "...the Internet is basically not functional", I guess you mean your browser? The browser problem is simply gone. Works better with MCU2 than you have ever seen it function in the car.

Just so you know, the FM or FM/XM radio is the same price. If you already had XM, you can ask them to install the FM/XM digital radio. Even if you had not activated XM before, you can activate it at Sirius/XM now. Of course if your car didn't have XM already, then it does not have the necessary antennas to work. Furthermore, the price of installing FM or FM/XM digital radio module is going to be the same price if you do it with MCU2 upgrade or you wait and bring it back in later. (That's a nice option to have, not costing more later even though its more work for them.)

Just so you know, the FM or FM/XM radio is the same price. If you already had XM, you can ask them to install the FM/XM digital radio. Even if you had not activated XM before, you can activate it at Sirius/XM now. Of course if your car didn't have XM already, then it does not have the necessary antennas to work. Furthermore, the price of installing FM or FM/XM digital radio module is going to be the same price if you do it with MCU2 upgrade or you wait and bring it back in later. (That's a nice option to have, not costing more later even though its more work for them.)

I have FM/SXM now, but I've been reading that's a $500 add on to the MCU2. I have the free streaming service, I asked about that, too. I emailed service about it, no answer yet. I meant browser, it's basically useless.

So how long until a new thread for MCU3 upgrade is open :rolleyes:
I know this is meant as a joke but let me leave some rhetorical questions out there:

Does the 2021S/X refresh...
Have 5G?
Have a faster CPU?
Have a dedicated GPU?
Have the ability to 3D render from HW3 (autopilot computer) or later?​
Is Tesla still manufacturing MCU2? If so,
How long will those components be available? Which is expected first to end of life?​
If not, how long will the current MCU2 inventory last for repair and retrofit?
Will Tesla retrofit 2021S/X MCUs in pre 2021 cars?
If not, will the hardware and software allow for 3rd party 2021 in pre2021 hybrid retrofits?
Are any newly announced 2021S/X advertised features possible on MCU2?
Phone as key?​
Would distributed 3D rendering from autopilot hardware run on MCU2?​

By the way, does anyone know if the rear screen has its own CPU or whether is a third screen for the MCU? I think the odds for autopilot hardware 3D rendering is low if it is a third screen, since you wouldn't be able to use it in the back while driving.

Reactions: fcastrillo86