Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
okay, got that. What's your question?

Basically what costs what. What I've been told by the SC is that I'll lose the premium connectivity that I have now and have to pay for it, I don't see the logic there, and that I do have to pay for the Sirius/FM upgrade for the MCU 2. The say that it's not over the air, it's hardware. The do know that I have the antennas, so it must be something else.

Basically what costs what. What I've been told by the SC is that I'll lose the premium connectivity that I have now and have to pay for it, I don't see the logic there, and that I do have to pay for the Sirius/FM upgrade for the MCU 2. The say that it's not over the air, it's hardware. The do know that I have the antennas, so it must be something else.

That's a first. We've heard people say they think they are losing premium connectivity because they mis-read the infotainment page, but this is the first time someone at the SC said that. Again, its simply mis-reading. Go read it for yourself. Its like a disclaimer stating you may need premium connectivity to gain access to those benefits.

I agree with you. I too don't see the logic there. (It does not exists.)

I don't think SCs have access to the system of record to remove your existing (permanent) premium connectivity. You will not have to start paying for it. If you are concerned about your SC doing that, go to another SC. You're in CA. There's plenty there.

I do not understand your next statement, though. "I do have to pay for the Sirius/FM upgrade". Yes, you must pay for the FM/XM hardware that's installed for the MCU2 Upgrade. That's a given. It too is on the infotainment page.(You do understand what's involved? They physically must remove your old analog radio module, and use its location to mount the new digital tuner2 module.) And while we are discussing this anyway, if you don't already have XM service, you must start a subscription with Sirius/XM for that. Tesla has never offered even a trial of XM. If you already have it, you should capture your existing XM radio's ID so you can transfer your subscription to the new radio ID.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
When you say infotainment page, where is that?

Here is what it says about Premium Connectivity under details for my car, in my Tesla account.

Specs
Premium Connectivity, Free Unlimited

Upgrades
Premium Connectivity
Free Unlimited

This is all by messaging, I did say that I had that, and asked if I would lose it. in a previous message they said I'd need to pay for it. Anyway, last answer was yes, I'd lose it.

What;s next, if I put a bigger battery in it I lose free supercharging?

I'll ask them again and then try another SC if they stick with that.

This is the Infotainment Upgrade page. Its been the gospel that we have all used and actually just about the only source on tesla.com for MCU2 upgrade. Most of us have been watching it change for just about a year now.

Here's the exact wording about connectivity. Pretty clear to most of us, I think. Amazing how some people look for something to ready it not in the best interest. Take a look below. Go visit the page. You notice how it doesn't say anything about "taking premium connectivity away?"

"Note: Some features enabled by the Infotainment Upgrade require a Premium Connectivity subscription. You may already have Premium Connectivity. Confirm your status in your Tesla Account."

And here's a comment from the FAQ on the same page.
"Do I automatically have access to all improvements and features with the Infotainment Upgrade?
Some features are available only on Wi-Fi for Standard Connectivity. A Premium Connectivity subscription can be purchased to access features over cellular. You may already have Premium Connectivity. Confirm your status in your Tesla Account."

• Informative
Reactions: sorka and mspohr
XM funny story, I had never tried it in my car, and one day i turned it on. It had it. I couldn't believe it. I thought maybe the previous owner had it and forgot about it or whatever. I used it all weekend. Monday it was gone. Turns out if I picked a free Siruis weekend to try it...........

That is funny. I had it for a while, in a Tacoma - when I lived on the mainland. Liked it alot. But we've never had satellite coverage for it even when it was two companies, Sirius and XM. They've promised it for 20 years, but never delivered. Once upon a time they said they were going to put ground station here and beam it locally. Never happened. Maybe because we should use smartphones streaming apps. Unlimited plan to access it in the car cost more than monthly dues, so no.

This is the Infotainment Upgrade page. Its been the gospel that we have all used and actually just about the only source on tesla.com for MCU2 upgrade. Most of us have been watching it change for just about a year now.
Thanks for that, I didn't know where that was.

I never use FM or Sirius in that car. I use Sirius in rentals, and I've noticed that on the channels I listen to you start to hear the same things a few times. I live in Santa Barbara, CA, and I drove to Bozeman MT via Zion and Yosemite, on one channel it seemed like a three day cycle. And the talk channels that i listen to have to be more boring now that we have a new President:)

I never use FM or Sirius in that car. I use Sirius in rentals, and I've noticed that on the channels I listen to you start to hear the same things a few times. I live in Santa Barbara, CA, and I drove to Bozeman MT via Zion and Yosemite, on one channel it seemed like a three day cycle. And the talk channels that i listen to have to be more boring now that we have a new President:)
Boring is good.

Reactions: 88911cs and Fiver

You are welcome. Your comment that you never use Sirius in that car, makes me wonder what you mean. Are you saying you don't use Sirius in your Tesla? Well, you don't use it if you don't have access/subscription. Probably makes no difference but maybe useful to you, Sirius and XM used to be two separate companies. But they merge in July 2008.

I noticed we have a new president. But he's an old new president. :)

It's the only car I have that has the antenna for it. I have three old Porsches, one is an investment that I've driven once in, wow, time flies, 20 years, and the other two I hardly even use the radio, I like listening to the engine:)

i have a BMW that I'd have to put another radio in, that's what i drive most of the time. The Tesla is my wife's, in theory:)

SC now says they were mistaken about the premium streaming, it does stay with the car and the MCU2. I thought so, I was really surprised when they said that was not right.

I think its time you folks saw this again. I put it up once in a while. I didn't make it up, but I wish I did. Enjoy.

My Wife is Missing--
A husband went to the police station to report his missing wife:
Husband - I’ve lost my wife, she went shopping yesterday & has still not come home.
Sergeant - What is her height ?
Husband - I really never noticed.
Sergeant - Build?
Husband - Not slim, not really fat.
Sergeant - Color of eyes?
Husband - Never noticed.
Sergeant - Color of hair?
Husband - Changes according to season.
Sergeant - What was she wearing?
Husband - Dress/suit/ I don’t remember exactly.
Sergeant - Did she go in a car?
Husband - yes.
Sergeant - What kind of car was it?
Husband - Arrest-Me Red Tesla Model S dual motor drive electric vehicle with liquid-cooled
power train with 100 kWh microprocessor controlled, lithium-ion battery, motor, drive inverter,
and gear box, three phase, four pole AC induction motor with copper rotor, drive inverter
with variable frequency drive and regenerative braking system and single speed fixed gear
with 9.73:1 reduction ratio and has a very thin scratch on the right front door.…
at this point the husband started crying.
Sergeant - won't worry sir.......We will find your car.

Soooooo, they that thought they were right - were wrong, and you thought they were wrong, and now they say; they were wrong and you were right & you were right in your thinking that they were wrong - is that right or is it not right?
Hmmmm. I think that is right:)

I see there is a FlatSix911 lurking here. @FlatSix911 my first car was a 1964 911, s/n 152. I was 15, bought it with paper route money. I had a big paper route:)

I couldn't really afford it, it was rusty, and I ended up parting it out. This was a very long time ago, a little voice in the back of my head said park it, this is going to be worth money some day. Original drivetrain, I'll bet it would fetch close to if not $1M today. I'm famous on a couple of the Porsche message boards for that decision:)

Last edited:
  • Love
Hmmmm. I think that is right:)

I see there is a FlatSix911 lurking here. @FlatSix911 my first car was a 1964 911, s/n 152. I was 15, bought it with paper route money. I had a big paper route:)

I couldn't really afford it, it was rusty, and I ended up parting it out. This was a very long time ago, a little voice in the back of my head said park it, this is going to be worth money someday. Original drivetrain, I'll bet it would fetch close to if not $1M today. I'm famous on a couple of the Porsche message boards for that decision:)

Thanks for sharing your story... S/N 152 would have been a keeper. There is always one that got away!

I've owned a number of 911s over the years and I plan on keeping the last of the air-cooled series 993. :cool:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 88911cs
Thanks for sharing your story... S/N 152 would have been a keeper. There is always one that got away!

I've owned a number of 911s over the years and I plan on keeping the last of the air-cooled series 993. :cool:
Good for you, keep it. I love 993's. All mine are air cooled too, newest is 1988. I let a 993TT get away from me, but there are who knows how many cars that you can say that about.

The worst for me was the 64 911, but I had a GTO Judge 455 with ram air, you pulled a switch on the dash, 1969 Z/28 with factory four wheel disk, and a LS6 Chevelle..

I worked in a Porsche repair shop, this was 1977, and a customer came in with a 904 for sale, $17K. I couldn;t get a loan, I tried everywhere. At the time i had a 1968 911, worth about $6500 then. The 904 had a flat six in it, and I never want to know if it came that way, a few did, and they are priceless. Oh, well, fun times down memory lane.

I have the service information manual for the 918.

• Love
Looks like Tesla will be recalling 8GB memory cards to replace with 64GB cards.
I'll still upgrade to MCU2 for all around better performance.

Tesla has decided to voluntarily recall certain Model S and Model X vehicles built before March 2018 that are equipped with an 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) in the media control unit because the eMMC may malfunction due to accumulated wear. Our records show that you own a Model S or Model X affected by this recall

Reactions: Akikiki